1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Abnormal wearing only on rear tires

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by galileofigaro, Apr 2, 2021.

1. galileofigaro

galileofigaro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    III
    Alignment done in July 2019 at a Toyota dealer. Only rear tires wearing on the inside, front tires look fine.
    This PIP has a reconstructed title, maybe the accident (it wasn't mayor) has something to do with the problem or the Toyota dealer didn't align the tires properly. I recently noticed this so I went to the dealer but warranty had expired, asked me to pay $90 for checkup and then some more to fix the problem.
    Anybody that can make an alignment reading I am attaching?
    Due to the pandemic I didn't drive the car for several months so this problem took around a year to surface since tires were installed brand new at a Costco the day before alignment was done.
    What do you think about flipping the tires so the worn part faces outwards? This is in order to make them last longer, otherwise I'd be installing new ones in a couple of months.

Attached Files:

#1 galileofigaro, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It’s normal for rear tires to wear faster at the inside edge of the tread, because of the neg camber on the the rear. It shouldn’t be pronounced, and if you rotate them front-to-rear it’ll even out.

3. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The alignment numbers change slightly when you get back in the car. But instead of paying Toyota the $90 and then some to look into it, just pay the tire store in your area the $90 to reset the alignment. The shops around here in my area will do a courtesy inspection to see if it’s possible to do a satisfactory alignment before doing any adjustments.

privilege likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Rear camber is not easily/cheaply adjustable, if that’s the cause.

The title gives me the impression the wheels are not being rotated.

5. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Maybe the car has settled on the rear springs, or there is a mechanical issue throwing off the rear camber. Hub assembly’s could be worn out.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I found this video on the SPC Alignment website. They actually have a rear toe/camber shim for the Prius. Pretty cool to see the process that iOS followed.

7. Bucky35

Bucky35 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I used these SPC shims to fix the rear wheel alignment on my last 2 Prius cars. Both had crap rear alignment from new. Major shortcoming and I hammered Toyota on my last new owner survey. Total crap engineering on a beam axle.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Using those shims requires taking off the wheel bearings? It’s almost tempting: just putting a carpenter square against them and doing a little trig, mine seem to have disparate camber, over spec on one side and near the low end on the other. Shimming is something they could have done at the factory?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i seem to remember bob wilson doing this.

anyone seen the o/p? seems to be a bit hit and run. maybe explains the salvage title

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    It's a limitation with torsion beam suspension, and the problem is not limited to Toyota - it's a fairly common issue with the 1st gen Nissan Leaf too. Gen 4 Prius has double wishbones on the rear which are adjustable, so it's no longer a problem.

Mendel Leisk likes this.