1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Abortion

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Feb 8, 2006.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, up to a point (please define)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, under certain circumstances, and up to a point

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not quite sure...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Schmika

Schmika New Member

It is unfair to make a blanket statement that the "sperm donor" has no say. How about a HUSBAND!!!!!!!

Abortions should ONLY be for the physical health of the mother.

That is my opinion, which I have a right to have, and no one will change my mind.

2. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Oops, double post (stupid 'puter)

3. Schmika

Schmika New Member

It is unfair to make a blanket statement that the "sperm donor" has no say. How about a HUSBAND!!!!!!!

Abortions should ONLY be for the physical health of the mother.

That is my opinion, which I have a right to have, and no one will change my mind.

Abortion is a persoanl decision but how illogical it is to say that there is not a basis for a legitimate right for society to pass laws to regulate it. Abortion is not an "inherent" right.

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, should the point at which the fetus becomes "viable" be the dividing point? What is the standard for "viable"? Should we put the limit at "viable" or at the point where the fetus becomes conscious? How can you legislate that if fetuses develop at different rates?

Clearly, a ball of stem cells is not a human, but I think almost everyone would agree that aborting a pregnancy at 8.5 months is not OK. So, where is the dividing line? When does it change from being a choice of the mother about her own body to being about the child? I'm very much pro choice, but these questions have always bothered me.

5. bluejay

bluejay New Member

Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion, they don't have the right to make it the law. Like it or not, husband, boyfriend or not--you can't force a woman to have a child or an abortion whatever your opinion.

Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion but in this matter, who cares what you think. It has no revelance to my choice. Abortion is a personal matter not a public opinion.

When you become pregnant, then you get to make the choice.

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Welp, here's my stab-in-the-dark take on it:

At what point does a woman know she's pregnant? For the most part anyway? I know some seem to know just about right away, yet I've heard of unique situations where some might not even know after it's waaaay too late, given that 20 some odd week benchmark thats been flying around. Seems to me, a healthy majority will know within a month (ladies? Is this a reasonable assumption for the majority?) whether they are in fact pregnant. Seems reasonable that taking a month to think about it puts it at 8 weeks, well prior to 20-something...

...seems to me 20 some odd weeks is a pretty generous time frame....

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This level of absolutism is the only thing that makes me uneasy about my (very strong) pro choice opinion. You say that "Abortion is a personal matter not a public opinion." I agree, but only up to a point. I think that everyone would agree that killing a child (no matter how young) is wrong (to put it mildly). So, what's the difference between a newborn and a just-about-to-be-born? Clearly, at some point, it stops being about the mother and starts being about another life (the child). What point is that? What/Who determines that?

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on a lot. I, honestly, can't see how someone could get to 20 weeks without realizing something was serioiusly wrong even if they didn't know they were pregnant. The hormone related changes alone are dramatic very early on. Breast tenderness, change in discharge, and any number of physiologic changes occur. If a woman is not expecting to be pregnant I suppose they could go a while. Most women know at the first missed period...2 weeks post conception, 4 weeks gestational age (that's right, you're 2 weeks pregnant before you've even concieved!) But some women have irregular periods and missing one, or even 2 isn't a big deal to them...but usually by that second one they oughta know something is up.

9. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As the Doc's have mentioned, viability of of the fetus can be determined as early as 24 weeks but that child will have a poor quality of life with multiple medical conditions and disability. It reminds me of Nurse's training at Albany Medical Center. I got to watch an iintern beat the crap (extensive CPR) out of this 90+/- old man who had cancer because no one had gotten a DNR on him. We need to respect life for its' fullness and not just its' existence

You will definitely have the women who, if only through denial or lack of education, may not know they are pregnant until it is too late for an abortion. They should recieve intense counseling at that time to help them make an informed decision about keeping the child or giving it up for adoption.

And as long as it is the woman carrying that child and giving birth to it then it is her right to make these decisions.

I will post this just once. I think that it can stand on its own merit.

10. bluejay

bluejay New Member

How does it effect you what another woman's choice to have a child or not? Where is public opinion and legislation on the men that impregnant multiple woman. Should we limit how many sexual partner and children a man can have? If we legislated that all men must use birth control to prevent these pregnancies, wouldn't that reduce abortion?

I don't consider my opinion absolutism--but rather, non-interference. I trust in a women's ability to do what is best for herself, though it may not be my choice. How many women do you really believe abort after 6 months---more importantly how does it concern you?

11. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Too many young men today are raised believing that it is cool to have more than a few kids but they take no responsibility for any of them. We had this fairly smart guy working at one of our group homes. He has 3 kids within a couple months of each other with 3 different women.

Obviously the women have a fairly low self esteem to put up with his behavior and he has an overinflated self esteem because he does not think that he should deal with birth control.

12. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Anyone?

I've no idea...

...and am interested for simple curiosity and relevance to this thread...
    :ph34r:

13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK. Maybe it doesn't directly concern me. However, neither do a lot of other things that society judges to be "not OK." If a parent abuses his/her child, it doesn't directly affect me, but society still says that it's wrong and we should intervene to stop that. And, certainly, almost every society judges murder to be wrong. And this is what a lot of the "pro-life" people say: that we are killing a human, so it shouldn't be the mother's decision. I certainly don't buy this argument early on, but there must be some point where this becomes true; after all, a pregnancy does develop into a child at some point.

I agree; almost no one is going to have an abortion after 6 months. However, why did you say "6 months"? What makes that time special?

14. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Six months equates to 24 weeks, the point at which viability is reached.

15. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    First, let me respond to henry by saying that if you're talking about government not legislating SEXUAL morality, you're right: it's useless. But otherwise, government legislates "morality" in one form or another, often indirectly, all the time. The tax code, for example, has all kinds of "moral judgements" in it. But that may stretch beyond your "moral" concept.

I'm a liberal who, after 45 years as an all-out, no-holds-barred "pro-choice" advocate, is having serious second thoughts, and have had for the last five years or so.

My doubts have nothing to do with religion, nor is it in response to the so-called "pro-life" positions/presentations. It has developed more in connection with my own study of genetics, in turn first stimulated by revisiting "evolution". I think all the recent and current findings in the human genome project have pointed out that that "blob of cells" (first few weeks) is more of a "person", in most ways EXCEPT "final-form" appearance, than I ever knew when I was younger.

16. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You say this as if it is an absolute fact. Is it? What is meant by "viability"? How different is this timescale from pregnancy to pregnancy? What is special about this time? I mean, isn't development a continuum, so it's hard to point to a specific time when it's not OK to have an abortion?

17. bluejay

bluejay New Member

I mentioned six months because this seems to be around the point a fetus can survive outside the womb and causes people like yourself to change their mind about choice. Political propaganda would have us believe this is the norm but it is not.

I disagree that child abuse doesn't effect you. In certain professions, you must report this or risk losing your licensce. . .An abusive parents or family has profound effects on the quality of life in your community---the abused child may be a bully in the neighborhood or at school. Surely they lack appropriate socialization. Survey prisons and see how many children were severely, not even moderately,abused. Child abuse has huge social harmful effects.

What are the social problems created by abortion? The only one I think of is the rise of the religious right.

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Intrauterine, not much variability. No, not every 24 weeker will survive, but many can. And despite the problems they encounter they can go on to lead productive lives.

19. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're right, it's actually consider viable at 23 weeks 5 days...but some guys at Harvard think they can move it to 23 weeks and 1 day.

As for viability, it means it can survive outside the uterus with medical assistance. Before that point, the baby will almost surely die.

Quality of life of a baby born at 23 5/7 is another topic altogether, basically, it would suck.

As for the issue of abortion, I was just answering a question as to why someone mentioned 6 months.

20. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In one study, the mortality rate of 23 to 24 weekers was 98%. For 24 to 25 weekers it was 68%. I would guess the survivers in the 23 to 24 group were closer to 24 than 23 weeks.