1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

About 8-16 weeks for a 1000 mile tank

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bwilson4web, Jun 29, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For our Northern hemisphere friends, you've got 2-4 months to check in with a 1,000 mile tank before the cool weather returns.

Bob Wilson

2. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You mean you are challenging anybody out there to manage 1609km trip with one single tank? You mean an average fuel consumption of 2,67L/100km - 88mpg? with a Gen4?

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Ahemm. For those of us in the southern part of the Northern hemisphere, you've got it backwards. ;)

krmcg likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not a single trip. Plan your route and make sure each segment exceeds 88mpg. It took about 3 weeks in July 2013 in a Gen-3:
    Efficient driving for a 1,000 mile tank | PriusChat

If I had gone with a Level 2 ECO, I would have left the dealer and done 1,000 miles (1,600 km) on the dealer tank. For grins, have the salesman sign a seal and affix it to the gas cap (NOT the cover.) A couple of weeks later, I would have driven back to the dealer and called the salesman over:
    • Me,"Something is wrong with the car."
    • Salesman,"What?"
    • Me,"It hasn't run out of gas" and shown him the display and signed, intact, seal.
    Bob Wilson

#4 bwilson4web, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  5. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 800 mile tank was nerve wracking enough for me. I'll leave the 1000 mile challenge to the real experts.

6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I meant and wrote single tank, not single trip... ;)
    With my current average (4.2L/100km) I will likely do about 900km/560mi before I give up to "fear" :D and fuel up....

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're out of ammo for 1000 with California RFG gaso. Winning participants would likely either drive 30 MPG or fill-up with E0 non-RFG gasoline with better energy content. Not me, I am also in RFG E10 zone.

mmmodem, ETP and krmcg like this.
  8. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "While the RFG program is advertised as being “great for the environment,” the benefits for the consumer are hard to find. Since the oxygenate additives can cost up to twice as much as gasoline, reformulated gasoline can cost up to 10 cents more per gallon than the non-oxygenated gasoline.7 Unfortunately, it gets worse. Both major oxygenated additives have a lower energy content than regular gasoline, MTBE roughly 20 percent less, ethanol 30 percent less.8 This results in a 2–3 percent loss in fuel efficiency. Translation: Consumers pay more to get fewer miles per gallon than before."

ETP likes this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes ethanol means less energy per gallon, but also, the RFG gasoline component is a bit less juicy as the EPA restricts the aromatics content to give a cleaner burning "reformulated" formula. So even E10 outside CA may have more energy.

ETP and krmcg like this.
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, so you fill up in Reno and take the back roads, down hill, home with a full tank of Nevada gas. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

ETP likes this.
  11. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I remember the Honda forum where people put 120PSI in the tires and drove at 42 MPH, windows up, AC off, specified outside air temp, and fan off to max it out. Not very helpful for folks who actually need to drive a varied route at varied speeds and driving conditions. Also plugging a car into a socket does not count unless you figure the full cost of electricity and charging equipment.

I bet I could get 150MPG rolling down Smokey mountain.

You folks are more bored than me.:LOL::ROFLMAO: And I am fraking bored.

" I'm at Prius Chat and I'm ok, post all night and sleep all day" Sung to the song, " I'm a lumber jack and I'm ok"

#11 ETP, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You don't have any 'bowling trophies?' I could probably wallpaper a wall in the house with all of the 'atta boy' memos and awards but what would be the point. One "Oh sh*t" would wipe them all out. <grins>

When I did my driving stunt in 2013: Efficient driving for a 1,000 mile tank | PriusChat , there was nothing remarkable as much as laying out a plan and executing it solo without doing nutty things. Our good Prius friends in Japan have a club for 1,000 mile tanks.

There seems to be a cottage industry of 'driving stunts' to show exceptional MPG on various cars ... for a fee and Guinness Book of Records. The only difference in my stunt was being completely open with a 'cook book' about how to do it.

BTW, I've also enjoyed playing tricks:
    [​IMG]
    Photo taken with a very old, flip phone many, many years ago exploiting a glitch in the vehicle display software.

The real irony is today I model car performance using the roll-down coefficients from the EPA "Test Car List Data Files" and that led to turning down an offer on a 2016 Level 3 with TSS-P. When I did a test drive and only got 99.1 MPG, it was not good enough since I knew the 2016 Level 2 ECO would achieve 110-120 MPG.

So don't get to wrapped around the axle when I joke about 'coasting down the mountain' with a tank of high altitude gas. It is just me having fun with those who repeat a 10 mile benchmark, 100 times <grins>.

Bob Wilson

13. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You probably don't need to leave the state to get non RFG. Here's a list of areas that require RFG Reformulated Gasoline | Gasoline Standards | US EPA