1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

About autonomous cars

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by bwilson4web, Nov 13, 2020.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There are a lot of positive claims about autonomous cars becoming profitable. Like 'Johnny Cab', a driverless taxi avoids the labor costs of Uber and Lyft.
    [​IMG]
    But the problem is scheduling.

If I need to go somewhere, I am not interested in waiting for the arrival of the taxi service whether automated or not. If I have a regular, driving requirement, these ride sharing services, like a car-pool, can be coordinated. But there are times when I need to get somewhere NOW!

There are other logistics issues such as equipment abuse by clients like vomit, trash, soiled diapers, and smoking. These are real costs often neglected in the enthusiastic ride-sharing articles. Yet this can be solved by making sure the interior can be 'hosed out.' It won't be a comfy ride but at least clean ... enough.

Bob Wilson

ps. In the past, public parking often had loose debris including the occasional condom. Now I'm seeing face masks too and condoms are fewer.

#1 bwilson4web, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One of my greatest pleasures is driving. I look forward to vacations, the planning and the actual driving to get there. It is an adventure and truly great fun.

No one stays young forever and I can see in my future as I age where a self driving car might be the ticket to maintaining my mobility. I can also see where a self driving cars could be an important tool to the disabled. Perhaps they could become an economical and efficient means of transportation for individuals in the city who do not desire the expense and hassles of owning a vehicle and the volume of people in that area doesn't' warrant the use of buses.

Imagine the freedom and mobility a self driving car might afford a visually impaired person or paraplegic with challenges as an example of the good these vehicles could do for society.

#2 John321, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020