1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

About data security

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Apr 1, 2024.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my company you have to also include a union stew.
    That doesn't bother me greatly, because the junior person in my job title in the state has over 15 years on the job.

Unions have one beneficial side effect.
    They raise labour costs to the point where you're SUPER careful about the people you hire, and this incentivises employers to pick new hires VERY carefully and get rid of the low performers VERY early.

2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Received notification from LifeLock by email that both my wife and my data is now on the dark web due to the AT&T data breech.
    Notification from LifeLock says our Social Security Number - phone-email-etc now posted on the Dark Web. The notification does call out it is due to the AT&T data breech.

We haven't been AT&T customers since dumping them for poor Customer Service and skyrocketing service cost 10 years ago.

No matter if you aren't a Customer anymore, AT&T keeps their former Customer Data and leaked it to the Dark Web.

AT&T is truly a special company!

Still no acknowledgement from AT&T on how and when this happened - no notification from AT&T to former Customers that their data is compromised and on the dark web.

A notable increase this week on spam calls to our home phone and spam emails to my email account - thank you AT&T.

Changed our email passwords but of course changing our Social Security Number and Home Phone Number is off the table.

Maybe time for the Feds to pay AT&T another visit.

#22 John321, Apr 4, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
    bisco and bwilson4web like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we still haven't heard anything from them.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Neither me too, and I have three accounts, but then a lot more of my information than just my driver's license info has been out there since 2015. Probably before that. You have to remember that the only reason that you know about the AT&T fumble is that they fessed up or got caught - depending on how you look at things.

We've seen all of this before.
    2017 Equifax data breach - Wikipedia
    All of my credit report info, along with those of 147 million of my closest friends were stolen as a result of this scrape.

Trivia Questions:
    1. When did the Equifax breach occur?
    b. WHO was responsible?
    iii. WHEN did we find out about it?

(Extra Credit) How many company officers were charges with a crime?
    It's important to remember that there will be a lot of scammers out there exploiting the scared and ignorant.
    If you get a notification indicating that your data is on the 'dark web' what steps did you take to verify that this is so?

I'm no shill for Big Bell.
    I see things from the inside AND from the outside.
    If it were not for the low WAF I would be on Elon-Net tomorrow - despite the face that I get giga-whamalamadingdong fiber internet nearly free at home.
    I think Big Bell acted rather promptly in this case because history has proven that bad news does not get better over time.
    If I'm wrong they will be tried and convicted in the court of public opinion - JUST like Equifax.....Target, eBay, Yahoo, etc...
    (WHAT'S in YOUR Wallet?)

John321 likes this.
  5. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    These should answer for the question posed and much more information for any interested parties.

Equifax data breach FAQ: What happened, who was affected, what was the impact? | CSO Online

Equifax CEO Richard Smith steps down after major data breach - CNET

Two Equifax executives resign in wake of massive data breach | The Hill

Key Equifax executives departing after huge data breach | AP News

Equifax executive hit with insider trading charge for selling stock before data breach went public (nbcnews.com)

Chinese Hackers Charged in Equifax Breach — FBI

Equifax to Pay $575 Million as Part of Settlement with FTC, CFPB, and States Related to 2017 Data Breach | Federal Trade Commission

6 Fresh Horrors From Equifax CEO Richard Smith's Congressional Hearing | WIRED

Equifax CEO testifies to Congress. Richard Smith "deeply sorry" for data breach (cbsnews.com)

Lawmakers slam 'boneheaded' Equifax executives for failing to appear before Congress | Fox Business

How did it affect us? - the main action we took was to put a Credit Freeze on all of our Accounts and all our children's Accounts with all the Credit Bureaus. Some of the kids have taken the freezes off their accounts but we have opted to keep all our Accounts Credit Freezes active. There is about as much chance of us having a credit check done as there is for the sun to fall out of the sky.
    My main complaint of the current AT&T breech is the roach like inhabitants of the dark web and clear web who now have a "refreshed" email addresses, phone numbers and Social Security numbers. Why is ATT&T storing the personal data and information of former customers who are not current customers?

#25 John321, Apr 5, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium