1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

About Gen4 Fuse Box

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by texasshawshank, Sep 18, 2016.

1. texasshawshank

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First I hope someone has already done it so I don't need to fumble around....
    I am trying to install a dash cam during which I plan to take a 12V power from fuse box. Normally in the fuse box by the driver side foot well there should be a few empty ones with power available, but not all have power.
    Based on the owner's manual I had no problem locating the fuse box --- it is located behind OBD port further into the foot well, making it very hard to have a clear view of the ports. I did see a couple of empty ports, but I cannot see if they are powered (if it does you should be able to see the metal contacts in the slot)
    Has anyone already done the similar job?
    Any answers will be appreciated.

RCO likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

If you look in the wiring diagram, there's a section (name of section is something like 'relay locations' if I remember right, you might not automatically think to look for the fuse box there, but it is) and that section has both external, physical drawings of the fusebox layout, and an 'internal connections' drawing that shows exactly which slots are connected to what. That way you can also see which ones are, say, always hot, or only hot in ACC or IG ON.

-Chap

3. texasshawshank

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Where can I find wiring diagram? I searched through owner's manual and couldn't find anything like "relay locations", "Fuses" etc.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

They've put all that stuff online. You can get a login at techinfo.toyota.com for various lengths of time. Two full days for $15, or longer periods for better rates. Then you click the "TIS" tab.

That takes you to a box with search selectors for your model and year, and there are several tabs along the bottom: TT/SB EWD RM NCF SC QTG (or something like that). EWD is the electrical wiring diagram, RM is the repair manual (looking for how to fix anything in your car, it's in there). NCF is the New Car Features Manual ... they don't have enough blinking lights around that one, but it's the one that tells you all the stuff that's in your car and how it's supposed to work when it's working right, so that's a lot of background information that both the RM and EWD assume you've looked at.

SC is service campaigns ... any issues that become known that are serious enough to be handled as recalls, warranty extensions, and so on. TT/SB is technical tips and service bulletins ... all the other known issues that might come to light about the car but aren't serious enough to be campaigns ... things you don't get actively notified about, but worth checking for if you have a certain problem to see if there is a TT or SB for how to fix it.

QTG is for quick technical guides ... any particular subject in repairing your car that you want to learn more about than you find in the RM, probably there are QTGs for it. (For that matter, back up at the top of the page, there is a Library tab ... go there and you can pull up any of Toyota's technician training course books on any subject that interests you.)

-Chap

Rangerdavid and RCO like this.