1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

About teaching, not just teaching 'climate stuff'

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, May 18, 2015.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    AustinG, I hear that. One negative aspect of tenure is allowing good communicators to avoid the intro courses. I had that in mind in #15.

I gotta break free here, but quickly. Because of the tenure issue I was asked to teach grad level water treatment and sewage treatment to Civil Engineers. A required course that everyone apparently hated. We covered the required curric, but dangit, I wouldn't let them out the door without hearing the gruesome bits about waterborne diseases, metabolic pathways, and how chlorine disinfection really works. Not the easiest course to inject 'jazz' into, but I remain proud of the effort.

I have grad students who complain about working all night. Complain. It just makes me laugh.

austingreen likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have friends that went to Rutgers. Their lecture halls for entry level courses sit 700. At least one of them had a professor that refused to use the microphone there.

As for getting news from the Daily Show, well, the others just suck. They are either too biased or spend way too much time on a single subject or can't be bothered to goto actual breaking news. Before Al Jazeera America was available, the Daily Show was really the only reasonable outlet out there. Heck, even Russia TV is better for some subjects than the main three American news channels.

Back to science education, it really needs to start before kids get to college, and that can be said for most subjects. I just think too few good teachers enter the profession.

austingreen likes this.
  3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think tenure is the big problem, its the idea at least at my schools that research is more important than teaching. That is especially teaching a bunch of kids fresh from high school with very different levels and experiences. It can't be fun teaching intro to biology, and have to go over evolution, when some of the students' parents have taught them that evolution is a lie, and you have to answer questions to make the students understand the science without insulting their religion. There is a lot of rote memorization, that maybe with all the information on our phones just is not needed;) In intro physics there are many students without the proper math background.

Perhaps the answer is to have many of the lectures for these introductory classes in entertaining videos. That way different schools could see what other schools are doing and what is most sucessful. The students could watch at their leisure, and catch up or go ahead easily. Less boring lectures. Then professors could concentrate on discussion and interesting topics instead of spending time on remedial information that some students need.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    To both the previous, classes of many hundreds will very rarely accomplish what should be the desired pedantic effect. If high tuitions cannot solve the problem then the university is not managing its funds well.

Yes I am grumpy about this, and attending an undergraduate college with 700 students may contribute.

Pedantic itself is sometimes seen as a bad word, but I disagree. It means 'moving stuff from one brain into another. If it seemingly is done best with teevee, then I'm back to blaming the profs.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Bisco #2. PV = nRT. Can't do (some of) my work without that, and I assure you that the students can handle it like champs.

Funny thing though. Another fellow is writing a manuscript reviewing conversions of CO2 volumetric changes to mass fluxes. This is PV = nRT the whole way through. He found several published papers that got it wrong, one way or another. So we have authors and journal reviewers at fault. Who taught them?

I still can't figure out why Bisco brought it up though. Have I harangued before, and forgotten?

bisco likes this.
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    OK evolution vs. 6000-year-old Earth (Universe). This is problematical for many other areas of biology, and also astrophysics and particle physics. I honestly don't know how church-based colleges finesse the issues.

It is something else that yanks Bill Nye's chain, for sure.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I am talking about big state universities, but in their intro biology courses they have to cover science versus church, and do it in a way that gets the students to understand the science and undo some bad work the high schools, churches and parents. Since they are state subsidized, they want to do it in a way that doesn't offend the parents and politicians. I can see why most professors don't want to teach the intro course.

Maybe Mr. Nye,and Dr. Tyson can make some entertaining evolution materials for the Universities.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are some far out churches that are still anti dinosaur, but the Catholic church and most mainline protestants don't date the earth and accept evolution. neither theory disproves God.
    even Pope Francis is concerned about cc.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's the key to deflate gate. what kind of news are you getting over there?:rolleyes: