1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

About those six USB-C ports

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ChapmanF, Jan 3, 2023.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do these support PD? PPS? What voltage and power limits are supported? Anything about these in the New Car Features manual? (Is that manual out yet?)

2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bit of a disappointment, in 2023.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the limits aren't likely to be the actual bulkhead connectors. Probably won't take much to rig up a better supply backing those sockets.

I'm thrilled that cabin electronics are only about 5 years behind the times now. Used to be more like 10.

5. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The real question is what will the wattage be? My 2017 barely charges my phone 10% in like an hour, sucks.

what on earth are you guys gonna be plugging into those 6 ports?

i guess I see the utility if you have 3 passengers with you but thats a lot of ports lol

6. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    15W is better than the trickle charge you got in gen4 but when there are phones out there that can handle 100W+ fast charging. As long as they've got a 12v cigarette lighter plug then you can still use fast charging that way. With wireless AA and Carplay at least you aren't stuck with the low speed port in the car.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  8. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thats not bad tho, I think that should give an iphone a pretty quick charge

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  10. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    They're spread out in a smart way. Besides the Qi charger, there are two logical places in the front where you can store electronic devices. Up under the dash, and under the armrest. Both locations have two ports available. That means you don't need USB cords hanging all over the place. And the last two ports are for the back seats on the back of the center console.

It's not so much that you'd ever need six ports at the same time, as there are three places to have devices(front, middle, and rear) and there could be two people with devices at any of those three places. Six is really the minimum number of ports.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is it fast enough to keep up with a phone being used for navigation on a long trip?

12. andyg

andyg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is a cigarette lighter plug in the front.

13. planetarian

planetarian Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    My experience going back and forth between kentucky and tennessee multiple times (2.5 hours each way) is that my phone (samsung fold 3), using wireless android auto and connected to the front power port, is able to slowly increase in charge while being used for navigation and music. It is quite a slow charge, but it is there. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at upgrading the electronics to support some form of quick-charge, though, once there's more information available about it. Especially since the wireless charger seems to be on the weak side and doesn't like to stay "connected" to my phone.

14. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It'd be nice if the c sockets could be used for anything other than charge ports. I had to lookup type c pd ver 3 for power specs USB Type-C PD 3.0 Specification, Charging and Design - EDN
    single infineon chip design

Table 3 Charging times are compared between PD 3.0 and PD 2.0 ready mobile devices. Source: Infineon

see diagram that belongs here on the linked web page

USB PD 3.0 charger design
    Infineon has two USB controller solutions that are suitable for implementing PPS chargers: CCG3PA and PAG1P + PAG1S.

CCG3PA
    CCG3PA, shown in Figure 3, is a USB PD controller for DC/DC automotive chargers. It features an integrated 32-bit Arm Cortex-M0 processor, 64-KB flash, 8-KB RAM, a built-in USB Type-C transceiver, two ADCs, two programmable communication interfaces, four timer modules, integrated feedback control circuitry for voltage regulation, and hardware blocks for implementing the PPS constant voltage and constant current mode.

Figure 3 The block diagram shows the major building blocks of the USB PD controller. Source: Infineon

there is another diagram that belongs here . see on the infineon web page.

The infineon two chip design is further down the page with links to more info at the bottom of the page.

Than there is thunderbolt https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-4-vs-usb-c.html

for those who need to be standing on the edge, looking down - listening to van halen Ain't talken bout love -
    and how it differs from USB-c.

At least there's a type c connector,, now all we need is a car with a 50 qubits quantum computer to handle the future for us. gotta love qubit pairs.

I think cars might catch up in the next ten years, if we are still driving them.

#14 vvillovv, Jul 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
    planetarian likes this.