1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

About to buy a Prime: Question

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Sterbyn, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Sterbyn

Sterbyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm in the market for a new car and the Prime looks like a perfect fit. I've gone by the local dealership and there's a 2018 (advanced trim) they can get that's almost exactly what I want.

I say almost because I've read through this forum and reviews a lot and the HU interface / lack of CarPlay seems to be a huge sticking point.

So I guess the question is: Do I go ahead and buy now and get the car I want sans CarPlay, or wait for the 2019s to be announced and hope they have it or that it will be upgradable in the future? The most sensible thing is likely to just wait, but bird in hand and all that.... Is CarPlay worth waiting months for? Any advice would be welcome!

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There is no hint that CarPlay will be on the 2019 Prime.

Ascegan likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, there may not be $4500 tax credit for PRIME purchased next year.

4. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Entune is one of the most horrible, awful, and frankly, retarded, pieces of software I've ever encountered. It's so absurd that I can't help thinking Toyota isn't getting money for using it. I can't make myself believe that a company with engineers that can design and build these technologically amazing cars can't figure out something so simple as playing songs in order.

That being said, as long as you don't get a bunk 12V battery I think you'll love the car overall.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That seems like a fairly low risk right now. Congress doesn't have much attention span to repeal it in the next few weeks, so a repeal effort would almost certainly have to happen next year. And retroactive repeals are politically difficult, more likely there will be a time window between it passing Congress until it really ends.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    assuming that you are getting a fabulous price, i'd go for it. otherwise, might as well wait, but you probably still won't get CarPlay

7. Sterbyn

Sterbyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ok thanks for all the replies! I really like the car, just wanted to see how bad the entune experience would put a damper on it. I've looked all around but agree that there is no indication the 2019s with have CarPlay so might as well go with what I have now. Looking forward to joining the Prius family :)

benagi likes this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just don't wait too long. Keep an eye on the inventory.

I've been eyeballing Primes again, after a deeper dive into my retirement tax situation to ensure that qualifying for the Prime's incentive doesn't scramble something else this year. (It would have been wasted last year.) And to see if the available pricing will overcome two significant deficiencies from my household's viewpoint (cargo capacity and spare tire issue).

But while reaching out to a couple dealerships this week, the two units in region that met my first trim & color choice were taken. So now I'd need to compromise on color too. Or travel to California, where the incentives are significantly lower.

9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On one hand, tempting, as they do have several of the first choice showing in inventory.

OTOH, travel costs will consume at least 75% of my price savings over buying a second choice locally. Assuming I don't collide with any winter travel difficulties, and had a full open week uncommitted to other obligations.

Salamander_King likes this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you need a 2018 tax estimation program?

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not any more, at least for me. I caught up my spreadsheets over the weekend, then found updated year-end distributions estimates and already started TurboTax online. And paid in order to see the actual forms, so this is already figured.

TuboTax online is free until one is either ready to file, or wants to see the actual detailed forms (even if not final) and line item entries. (Others online vendors do the same??) Those who are satisfied with just a bottom line number, and are willing to experiment by making test adjustments, don't have to pay. But if you can point to a free resource (besides IRS raw paper versions), it could help others to be more confident that they are doing it right, not getting snagged by blundered entries hidden behind a paywall.

#12 fuzzy1, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    benagi likes this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since pointed out in that thread, but missing from the display add, is a $495 "doc fee". But since this bogus fee is merely additional dealer markup, the real discount is just (7000 - 495) = $6505 dollars, of which $3500 is coming from Toyota corporate, not the dealership.

After accounting for this excessive "doc fee" too, my potential savings have now almost completely evaporated.

14. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I have been using freetaxusa.com for several years without issue. Federal returns are free, including e-file.

15. Ascegan

Ascegan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Entune infotainment is terrible (and crashes frequently) but if you just use it to work the radio and climate the rest of the car is pretty good. That is, If you like the Prime better than the discontinued Volt, don’t let the Entune stop you, but if it’s the only sticking point then yes, go for a Car Play enabled vehicle.