1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

About to buy a Prius 2007 (II)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fanunipa, Apr 26, 2018.

1. fanunipa

fanunipa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey everyone

First post here.

TL;DR at the bottom.

I found a Prius II 2007 with 200'000km (124'274 miles) for 3700 USD. The owner of the car says that the car runs fine, but the engine light is on. So i'm planing to visit and take an OBD Reader with me to check the codes. Now, assuming that the Engine light is on for some trivial reason, and it wont be costly to fix, does this Sound like a good deal?

I've been reading this forum and checking some Posts, and i've read that the hv battery usually dies when it has around 13 years. Now here's the Problem. I live in switzerland, and there's not really many spare parts to be found, let alone renewed battery packs. As i've read on here there's not actually a way to see how long the HV Battery will live. Is that correct?

Also, more generally:

Are there any specific Things i should look at before deciding to buy the car? Like known issues etc.?

TL;DR:

I'm playing around with the idea of buying a 2007 Prius with 200'000km (124'274 miles) for 3700 USD.
    Is it a stupid Idea to buy it in 2018 considering the age? There's very Little spare parts here, so getting a renewed hv battery would prove extremely costly (transport costs).

Thanks

2. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Welcome to the board!

I learned the hard way - check that the inverter coolant pump is working. It's located right next to the inverter. With the key on, not the engine, you should see turbulence in the fluid. That means the pump is working.

I'd also get a scanner that can read the battery levels and all of the codes. An ordinary OBD2 scanner won't do all of that. Many people here use a Windows notebook with Techstream installed on it to read the codes. You can also use an Android phone, a ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and the Torque app. I also use an iPhone with the ELM327 adapter and the EngineLink app.

Good luck with your purchase!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Price sounds good.

Really no way for the average person, even with a reader, to judge battery life expectancy. At this age, it's guaranteed it will fail so a buyer needs to plan accordingly. Some good news, batteries do last longer in cooler climates. As a guess, I would say it would have two more years at best but, again, it could also fail next week trying to climb a steep grade (I think you have one or two of those in Switzerland!!!).

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

it is not a stupid idea, but it is smart to be prepared. if parts are hard to come by, plan on a lot of downtime, because you will need a lot of them.
    if you take it on, consider it more of a hobby than daily driver.
    all the best!(y)

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would take it all one step at a time. Not be rushed, hurried and be willing to walk away if that is what becomes the best option.

The first step would be trying to ascertain why the check engine light is on. It only may or may not be trivial. If it at all looks like a severe problem, that's a good reason to walk away.

IMO for most of us, there really isn't a good or reliable way to predict HV battery failure, but once past the warranty period? I think the clock does start to tick. A Prius that age? You could have another 1/2 a decade, or another 1/2 a day.
    I would always purchase a Prius of that age, with the expectation that the HV battery could fail at any given time, and the knowledge that investment in that area could become necessary.

If replacement in Switzerland is problematic..that might be good reason to walk away.
    Before I purchased I'd want to investigate some avenues of Hybrid repair and support. It's just too likely at some point you are going to need them.
    Do you have a Toyota dealership you can reach?

How much of a DIY person are you? How much would you feel comfortable learning and doing?
    I would imagine in this day and age, nearly all parts can be delivered anywhere on the planet. But having the part(s) and being knowledgeable enough to SAFELY install and replace them? Are two different things.

If you are NOT at all a DIY person, and are isolated from avenues of supported care? That might be reason to walk away.

You want the Prius...because you want the Prius...that might be reason enough to walk towards this deal.

Good Luck. Whatever you decide.

6. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Be wary. There's a good chance that the check engine light is the reason why this Prius is being offered for sale.