1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

About undercarriage shield

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by burebista, Aug 20, 2020.

1. burebista

burebista Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife took a paving stone under the car. When we're at home I take a look under the car and everything looks fine, shield is intact and no damage to anything.
    Also I saw that I'm completely missing that door for changing oil/filter.

But now my wife wants a metallic shield. I found one here, looks pretty solid (2mm or 1/16 inch thick, galvanized, anti-rust treatment) for 80 bucks.

But I saw that original shield has some sound/vibration/whatever protection. Like this (picture not mine, borrowed from priuschat).

IMG_0993.jpg

That metal shield is just bare metal so I want to put something for dampening sound/vibrations but I don't know what to look for. :(
    So I'm asking you for some ideas and I'll look here in Romania for something similar.

Thanks.

PS. Also I want to mod that shield to make a hinged door similar to this.

1Cover-Closed.jpg

2. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    In USA there is a product called Dynomat (typically used for sound deadening on interior surfaces - under capets, on inside of doors).

Maybe a Romanian home imporvement store will have a furnace insulation product that will work?

Perhaps the main concerns would be flamibility and oil absorbtion.
    I think Dynomat would be safe in both those concerns, but I donlt know for sure.

Yet, can your transfer the OEM plastic sheild insulation to your new metal shield?

Broken oil change access panel, known issue, your hinge solution is the cure.

Have fun with your project.

burebista likes this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unless you tested the shield and found actual vibrations, I’d financially invest elsewhere. This is for aero purposes, it shouldn’t vibrate unless it's damage or pins aren’t properly snapped in place.

burebista likes this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So she can drive over anything she wants and it can take a beating (y)

burebista likes this.
  5. burebista

burebista Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I found a Dynamat product here: Dynaliner. Heat insulation, water/oilproof but it has a hefty price, almost 70 bucks. :eek:

Good point. I'll pass the insulation then, watch how it goes as it is and if I hear something I'll think about then.

Yeah, she's the driver, she's the boss. I'm only the guy who keeps the car up and running in a good shape. :)

Thanks all for your input. (y)