1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS Actuator questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mattmonsour, Dec 27, 2021.

1. mattmonsour

mattmonsour Junior Member

Hello,

I have a 2005 with 276,000 miles. Was given the news today that the accumulator on the ABS actuator is leaking. $2,400 parts and labor to replace.

I'm considering buying a used one from ebay and installing it myself. Looks to be what I would call a moderate job from youtube videos. I'm a little concerned about bleeding the brakes though. Two questions:

1) Can anyone recommend a scan tool that has the capability to bleed the brakes? Some searching of threads on here has turned up a recommendation for a Tactrix Openport 2.0. Thoughts? another one better? (Currently using Bluedriver but it can't access brake codes among other things.)

2) Any general thoughts on replacing the actuator? What's the good the bad and the ugly? I'm reasonably handy. Have replaced the battery on this car, rebuilt front ends/replaced wheel bearings, replaced intake gaskets and various other jobs on a few different types of vehicles. Always a little tentative about tackling a new job though.

I need this car to last approx. 6 more months. That's how long the Toyota dealer says it will be before a new Prius arrives. That's why I'm considering the used part.

Any advice/insights would be appreciated!

Matt

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Tactrix is a usable J2534 dongle for connecting a laptop to the car, but the special sauce that makes it useful is the Toyota Techstream software.

I have the Tactrix and a cheaper dongle, the Mini VCI. Techstream can talk to either one. The Tactrix works better on my Gen 3. I seem to recall trying something on a Gen 2 (lock reprogramming, maybe?) where I had frustrations using the Tactrix, and lo and behold, the Mini VCI came through. I don't have many more details; I was rushed on that occasion, and once something worked, I didn't stay at it to find root causes.

3. mattmonsour

Very good information, to know, thank you!

Some quick googling shows the software is $1545:-( Anyone know of any other options?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your googling was too quick. :)

There's a $1545 bundle that includes a fully Toyota-blessed Drew Technologies $500 dongle and the Techstream license for a year (normally $1295).

If you bring your own dongle, you can get TIS subscriptions (the "professional/diagnostic" level includes use of Techstream) for shorter terms, like $65 for two days.

In most cases that easily beats the cost, not to mention hassle, of getting to a shop to have stuff done.

5. mattmonsour

Thank you very much!! Was hoping to get something that would allow me to read codes etc indefinitely, including on my next Prius. Sounds like this would be $65 each time I used it:( Might just take it to a mechanic, doesn't cost much more than that.

Again, I appreciate the help!

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mechanics must be super cheap where you are.

7. mattmonsour

$87/hr is what I paid for the ABS actuator diagnosis. plus $2 for shop materials and tax.

I take it there aren't any 3rd party options?

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How many hours did they bill?

$65 for 48 hours doesn't look so much better than $87 for 1 hour, as long as they only bill 1 hour.

The other dimension of that is that I've usually found nobody pays me for my hours of making and waiting for appointments and getting the car to the shop and back.

9. mattmonsour

Billed for 1 hour, plus $2 for shop materials and 6% sales tax. $92.22 I think was the total. and that wasn't a simple code read, that was diagnose the unknown problem and quote the fix.

You are right about getting it there. I usually drop it off the night before and get a ride home from a friend (One mechanic I use is close enough to ride my bike if the weather is nice enough.) I've got a couple other vehicles I can drive while it's in the shop. I suspect they'd do a simple code read while I waited, but I've never asked.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My dealer used to have chocolate chip cookies in the waiting area, but last time I was there I think they were still discontinued for COVID.

11. mattmonsour

:-/ because we all know COVID is spready by chocolate chip cookies! :) Actually, with the lack of cars to sell they might actually be hurting a little bit.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder if they'll come back.

My pandemic cuisine has pretty much not involved many sweets or desserts, just a who has the time? thing.

So it has changed my palate. The last time I was in a store that had an enticing little package of chocolate chip cookies in my path, I bought them impulsively, took them home, and then found them so sweet I could barely choke them down.

If I were to make any myself now, I'd probably have to use something like straight baker's chocolate and a tiny fraction of the usual sugar.

13. mattmonsour

Sounds like you've been eating healthier than me!