1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS Actuator R&R Leftover Bolt

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ShadeTreeMech, Feb 24, 2023.

1. ShadeTreeMech

ShadeTreeMech New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am completing replacement of ABS Actuator Assembly for my 2004 and realized I am going to have this particular bolt without a place. I slipped and knocked over my table with the trays and notes, so all the bolts were scrambled together. I have crawled all over the engine bay looking and I simply cannot find or recall where this one goes. All the bolts for this job are 10mm or 12mm, but this one is unique - 10mm head and is 1 5/8" long and the tip is different. I'm ready to put the inverter back on but am terrified the world will end if I don't find the home for this first. I'm hopeful one of you folks has done this recently and this will ring a bell. Please help me save the world lol - any help greatly appreciated.

IMG_2271.jpg IMG_2272.jpg IMG_2273.jpg

SFO likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That looks like one of the bolts that holds the rubber pieces on that the actuator attaches to the metal bracket that holds the whole actuator onto the rubber isolators I thought those were gold bolts I'll have to go out and look in a minute I have one that's not mounted in the bracket sitting right here on the ground but then again gold bolts are used throughout Toyota but generally on sub assemblies I'm not sure the color of the bolt like holes the inverter down on the l bracket in the back and all that if it fits and screws in it's okay generally length would be problematic in some places.

3. ShadeTreeMech

ShadeTreeMech New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    --Thanks for the feedback - it’s been raining here, so I haven’t been able to dig further yet. I did the swap of old for new actuator onto main black bracket on a separate table, so I think the isolation hardware was unaffected by my mishap. I hadn’t considered it might be one of exterior inverter bolts. I usually do removal and replacement without delay, so I better remember these things, but there was some delay in getting the part. I’ll check your suggestions as soon as the weather lets up. I really appreciate the info – please let me know if you think of anything further. Thank you.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If it's like the inverter bolt that's on the l bracket at the back of the inverter closest to the firewall I wouldn't worry about it You're hell down really well without it and when you have to remove the inverter to do something else one less thing that's kind of hard to get at and you won't have to mess with not seriously mission-critical in my eyes and you should see how many bolts I have left out of the HV battery in my car so I can whip it out in about 8 minutes versus 30 or 40 makes a huge difference and so far locking up the brakes and getting the car sideways the battery hasn't come out of its area it's just missing bolts it's not completely unbolted but it's enough where I don't have to stick the wrench between the back seat and the piece of metal there and try to get all those little silly 10 mm out You only need one on each side

5. ShadeTreeMech

ShadeTreeMech New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been raining buckets, so I haven't been able to see if the inverter has a spot for it yet. My chief concern has been if it's a standalone or 1 of only two bolts securing something for the actuator, it would allow movement or vibration. I hope it's a redundant one like you noted - now all I need is a little sunshine - thanks again.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Like I said I wouldn't worry too much about it Toyota doesn't usually skimp on the fasteners matter of fact there's usually enough so that you can leave a few out so that if it's a part you think you might be revisiting again for whatever reason to move it to get it something else whatever like I said before on some products the battery in the back etc I purposely leave a few of these bolts out that are hard to get at or I don't want to be flipping seats and all that sort of thing what can hurt nothing. You just don't want to leave all the bolts out so that something can come flying up and smack you in the back of the head while you're sitting in the front of the car.