1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS Actuator Replacement - DIY Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SunnyPriusGA, Oct 16, 2020.

1. SunnyPriusGA

SunnyPriusGA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi PriusChat Folks!

I've been looking low and high, trying to gather information on ABS Actuator Part, Swap out Procedure, and Brake Bleeding procedure.

For my particular issue, I have a 2004 Prius with about 215,000 miles that is starting to have that barking and rattling sound which every post indicates the ABS Actuator is going bad (ticking time bomb) and I should get it replaced, hence this post.

My goal is to gather all the information and post it in this thread.

Here's the info i've gathered so far:

ABS Actuator Noise Examples:

Part Number:
    • 2004-2005
      • Old Number 44500-47091
        • New Number 04003-44347
    • 2006-2009
      • Old Number 44500-47141
        • New Number 04003-44647
    • I've attached a screenshot of the part info...
    • I'm still deciding to go the ebay route with a refurbished or used part for about $300+- as a NEW part is $1000+ and not something I want to digest considering how old my vehicle is.
    • I'm also debating on if I go to a Pull-A-Part junkyard and grab one for possibly $100+- but i'm leaning towards ebay to save some time
    • I've also heard there are refurbishing services which if anyone knows about, would be great to provide that info and general cost for future prius owners
    • I've heard rumors that used 2009 versions work in 2004-2005 models so if someone knows for sure, that would be helpful as 2004-2005 models are quite old with a high risk of a used part likely failing as well

ABS Actuator Replacement Procedure
    Brake Bleed Process
    • I have yet to find a guide that shows how to use Tech Stream to bleed the brakes after the ABS Actuator Swap so if anyone has this info, i would love your donation so I can put that info into this guide
    • So far, i've only read or seen people mentioning to bleed the brakes manually which in itself can be done but i would like to know how you can use Tech Stream as well
    Tips & Tricks
    • For those that have done this before and have any tips and tricks, I would greatly appreciate your help and info!

Attached Files:

Nikolai Petrov, SFO and PriusCamper like this.
  2. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you end up replacing the actuator? If so, how did it go?

The only noise I've ever heard with my brakes is that rattlesnake sound whenever I first enter the car and also every few times I hit the brakes. I've heard this is normal operation for the Prius.

However, recently I've noticed the duration of the rattlesnake snake sound on entry is increasing... Maybe a sign of the actuator slowly going bad?

3. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Bleed brakes with Techstream

Attached Files:

4. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you saying that the rattlesnake noise is an indication that the brakes need bleeding? I've been driving with this noise for years.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A rattlesnake is what the pump sounds like. The pump is installed in the car on purpose, and the brakes wouldn't work well without it, and every time it runs when it's supposed to, it sounds like a rattlesnake. That's normal.

What's not normal is if it runs more often than it's supposed to.

Normally, you should hear it run for a bit when you open the driver's door, if the car has been parked for a while, and you should hear it run a little every few times you use the brakes. How many is a "few"? That depends on things like how hard you brake, and the state of adjustment of the brake shoes. There's no etched-in-stone number to give you.

If you hear it every single time you brake, that could indicate an incipient problem. If you hear it run by itself, cycling on and off, on and off, on and off, when you are not even touching the brakes, that is a problem already gone way past bad. (It is weird how many people with the pump doing that will still post about it apparently hoping to hear they don't have a problem.)

But just hearing the rattlesnake pump doing its normal job is no problem at all.

Following up an earlier post upthread about bleeding: if the actuator is changed, use Techstream to bleed. There are electrical valves in there that open and close different passages in it, and there is no such thing as any manual bleed procedure that will get the air out of the valved-off parts, without Techstream making the valves open for you.

rogerthat likes this.
  6. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the clarification - that is how I understood the pump to function. My main worry is that my pump seems to run longer when I open the front door than I previously recall.

Any reason to consider only a brake bleed if I'm not getting any of the other symptoms you mention? Also, what are your thoughts on this manual bleeding process?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There can be perfectly benign reasons for that. The pump is electric, and the car is off when you first open that door, so it is running off the small 12 volt battery in back. If the seasons have changed and the battery output is a bit less in cooler weather, the pump runs more slowly and takes longer. (It can often be the first giveaway if your battery is getting near to replacement time; then the pump will stop sounding like a rattlesnake, and sound more like a dying wind-up toy.)

Generally, the only reason for bleeding the brakes is if you either know, or suspect, that there are bubbles trapped in the system, such as if you have had it open and worked on it. Then you bleed it.

Sometimes people will recommend doing a replacement of old fluid, and some people use the terms "bleeding" and "fluid replacement" as if they were interchangeable, which they aren't. In fluid replacement, you're not trying to get bubbles out, and if you do it right, no bubbles get in. There can be workable "alternative" manual procedures for fluid replacement, even though there aren't for brake bleeding, because if you assume there are no bubbles to start with, then the only downside of the manual procedure is a small amount of old fluid that didn't get changed behind the valves that were closed, and that's not a big problem. If there were air present, that would be a bleeding fail.

Not a good sign that I wrote a bit last February about relying on random youtubes for service advice and that the example I closed with then was, um, that exact video.

In general, you have to decide how reliable the source is. If it is someone who clearly understands the process from the repair manual and exactly why it is specified as it is, and has insights to add on top of that, there could be something to it.

When the person's reason for giving you an "alternative" procedure is that he found the prescribed one "confusing", with "a lot of steps and there's a lot of focus required" ... hard pass.

focus.jpg

8. ChristopherJCullen

ChristopherJCullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have been having a heck of a time replacing the brake actuator on my 06 Prius - Have now installed 2 different used actuators and am still getting the same C1256 (Low accumulator pressure) code I started with on the original actuator. Wondering if there might be something I’m overlooking? The install itself seemed to go smooth enough. I bought a Xtool D8 scan tool to do the ABS bleed.. am worried that air may be getting stuck in the actuator - both times I’ve installed a replacement, I hear the actuator running initially, and then after some time it sounds a little choked ( I assumed air was in it) and then I stop hearing it altogether… but despite bleeding the system with scan tool multiple times, I still don’t seem to have any improvement..

Also might be worth mentioning that when I go to open the bleeder on the rear brakes, no fluid comes out?

While I realize that installing a used part is a bit of a gamble, its hard for me to believe that all 3 actuators I have had in the car all have exactly the same problem.. seems there could be something other than the actuator itself causing the code? I also intermittently have seen a C1252 (motor of hydro-booster pump ) code… which I think comes on if the pump runs longer than it should..so maybe this suggests the pump is working and there aren’t issues with the electrical which goes to the pump?

Any help appreciated