1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS Actuator replacement options? Experiences with Dorman?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by xand, Sep 22, 2022.

Tags:
  1. xand

xand Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone,

We recently purchased an 08 that needs a new ABS actuator. We purchased a used module with a 1 year warranty on eBay, which arrived damaged and was replaced by another actuator that arrived damaged. Since we are not having good luck with that seller, we are getting a refund and looking at other options:
    1. Buy a new actuator for a price of approximately $1100.
    2. Buy a remanufactured Dorman actuator (587-765) for around $850 from AutoZone.
    3. Find a different used actuator.
    4. Prior Automotive may also offer a rebuilt actuator, waiting to hear back from them
    Obviously the new actuator is going to be the most reliable option, but also the most costly. We are leaning towards that option or a rebuilt actuator.

I haven't seen a ton of thoughts on the Dorman actuator, but there are some pretty mixed reviews on Summit Racing's site. I was just curious if anyone had any thoughts or advice regarding these options, in particular, experiences with the Dorman part.

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    for $250. i'd go new. call texas hybrid batteries and ask them. not sure if they do actuators or not.

SFO likes this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Decades of experience have taught me that Dorman is a brand to try only when all other possible sources come up empty. Even then I have very low expectations, and yet time and again Dorman parts have only achieved failure.

Putting "Dorman" and "remanufactured" together in one sentence, to describe one part, pretty much guarantees that it will be crap.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    LKQ and local to me I think that part would be under 100 bux.ive seel almost new looking Gen2 at LKQ it's almost rediculous. I'd buy whole car with no papers in a minute . No can do .

5. xand

xand Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately the closest LKQ to me is about 180 miles away. Leaning towards the new actuator unless I can find a quality used part. Found out that Prior Automotive (despite having the part in their catalog) does not do the actuators for Prius.

SFO likes this.