1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Abs and another light?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Timothy S Wafer, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Timothy S Wafer

Timothy S Wafer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 Prius just had the ABS light & another light which pictures a car and squiggly lines like its sliding. Not sure what that one means. They came on while driving on a road where they just spread a lot of loose stone. However the lights have remained on. I scanned it with my code reader and torque pro app but see no codes pertaining to this. Just the one about the oxygen sensor.
    What does the sliding car light really mean and whats my next step? I do notice a different feel to the brakes.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car and squiggly line is the traction control or stability control light. If it came on with the ABS light, then there’s an issue with the ABS system (since they’re all tied in together). It’s just letting you know that the traction control and stability control may not work properly.

Side note: if it was a TCS/VSC problem, then there will be a VSC night as well. (I believe it has those 3 letters)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try disconnecting the 12v for a few minutes

how many miles on her?

4. Timothy S Wafer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    135000 miles

5. Timothy S Wafer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Shouldnt a code appear in my Torque pro app though?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure. I haven’t used the Torque Pro app so I don’t know its capabilities.

7. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the Torque Pro doesn’t have an ABS icon or ABS menu, then I would guess it doesn’t have the capability to read these types of codes. Most of the upscale type scanners such as the Actron 9690 have specific ABS code reading ability.

In your case, I would say that your problem lights are a result of a defective wheel speed sensor, wiring or corrosion induced loss of signal.

8. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Foot note to ^ post:
    I see that you live in the rust belt of New York where salt corrosion can be hell on wheel speed sensors.
    You should visit “ South Main Auto” in Avoca, NY.

#8 BZzap!, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not every scanner can read the codes. A laptop with Techstream is the go-to rig for reading Prius codes.

There is an alternative for the brake/ABS/traction codes, where all you need is a short piece of wire between two terminals (Tc and CG) of the diagnostic port, and then you count blinks of the dash lights to make two-digit codes.

Most of those are listed in the Repair Manual (more info) next to the 'official' five-character codes you would see in Techstream. Sometimes a car will spit out some two digit codes they apparently forgot to list in the manual, and then we sort of scratch our heads and wonder about them, until somebody gets Techstream and reads the real code.

But a lot of the time, the two digit codes will be enough to go on, and it's nice being able to read them out without any specialized tool.

10. Timothy S Wafer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can you elaborate any on using the jumper to get codes. Is the OBD II port the one you are talking about? If so what pin #'s do you jump? Key on? This is a gen 3 2010 Prius. I think Ill look into getting a laptop set up with Tech-stream but in the meantime this would help.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hope a search for something like TC CG BLINK CODES PRIUS PICTURES will turn up some good links, a number of them typed by me. Feels like it's carved right in to my carpal tunnels.