1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS and anti-skid ecu problem

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ilya980, Feb 6, 2022.

1. ilya980

ilya980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One

I was driving my 2013 Prius C one at a slow speed today and 4 lights on the dash came on: ABS, Brake, ECB, and skid, when I tried to brake. I felt as if ABS was activated, but I was on a dry road. The brake pedal became softer, but I did not lose brakes completely. All 4 lights would go on and off while I was slowly driving home. The codes I read with Techstream are C1300, C1311, C1365, and C1466. Attached is
    all the data I read for the codes C1300 and C1365, and from the Data List. I don't see any obvious brake fluid leak or loss of fluid in the fill tank.

What is wrong? How do I diagnose and repair this problem?

Thanks.

20220206_162309.jpg 20220206_200638.jpg 20220206_200952.jpg 20220206_201007.jpg 20220206_201259.jpg 20220206_201327.jpg 20220206_201347.jpg 20220206_201410.jpg 20220206_201606.jpg 20220206_201631.jpg 20220206_201652.jpg

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can find the troubleshooting and repair steps for those trouble codes in the repair manual (more info).

There are a few PriusChat members who sometimes post the relevant sections. That can be an alternative to browsing the manual yourself, in cases where you have the time to wait and see if one of those members comes by.

The surefire fast way, of course, is to look in the manual directly.

3. ilya980

ilya980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I have the manual.

C1300 calls for outright replacement of brake booster with master cylinder assembly.

C1311. I confirmed that live data responds to active test for ABS main relay. I can turn it on and off and see live data change accordingly. Next step is to check the harness and connector. Where is the skid control ECU connector A41? I don't even see it. How do I get to it?

C1365. Accumulator pressure sensor. I've got the reading of 3.7V. When pressed the brake pedal it dropped to 3.35V, then came back to about 3.8V. When I press and release brake pedal it moves around a bit, but not more than 0.55V per test guidelines. This looks normal to me. The next step is to replace brake booster with master cylinder assembly.

C1466. I looked at the live data while driving around the block. All 4 wheels report the same speed and it is close to the speedometer.

I also noticed that with ignition off the brake pedal on release makes a sound as if it was sucking air into the system. Don't see any leaks or fluid level dropping in the brake fluid reservoir.

Then I cleared all codes. After clearing the codes the car became "normal". Slowly drove around the block. Seems to brake normal. No more sound on brake pedal release. None of the codes came back.

Any suggestions what might be wrong? Is it the skid ECU (computer) failure, or brake actuator failure, or brake booster failure? Would the only option be to replace the brake booster assembly and the brake actuator assembly? This replacement seems involved. Is there a video for it?

Could all these problems be due to something else, such as weak battery?

Thanks.

#3 ilya980, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That gives you an information advantage over me at the moment, as my TIS subscription isn't paid up just now. I can look for some things in a copy of a 2010 liftback manual, but if you're looking in the 2013 c manual, you're in a better position than I am.

Could you maybe post the exact detection conditions for each of the codes you have? They're what you find in the box "DTC Detection Condition" on the first page of workup, for each of the codes. That will at least tell us clearly what the car is reporting.

A quick look on parts.toyota.com shows the c brake system to be pretty much the same as the Gen 3 liftback, where "master cylinder" and "booster" and "actuator" and "skid ECU" all refer to the same single assembly (the top one in this picture) ... so, if you need any of those, that's the thing you need. :) But you're probably right to want to diagnose a bit longer first.

[​IMG]

The skid ECU electrical connector you're looking for is shown on the top there (I think ... on a 2010 liftback, it's called A58, not A41).

5. ilya980

ilya980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Here are the relevant pages from the manual with the DTC detection conditions. A41 connector is on page 3 of C1311.pdf. It is the same connector as you show. How do I get to it? Would be a shame to replace expensive parts only to find out there is a bad connection or undervoltage. Thanks for clarifying booster vs actuator vs accumulator parts. It is confusing. I saw your post in Gen2 section, but I was not sure it applies to Prius C. You are right, Prius C is similar to Gen 3.

How do I diagnose this further? Do I need to replace the top part (brake booster assembly), bottom part (accumulator), both parts, or is the problem somewhere else since the codes are not coming back right away? For example, if the accumulator pump is failing, why would it throw C1311 code, which says ABS main relay has a problem?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I download your attachments, I can see the DTC detection conditions included in the second, third, and fourth attachments (C1311, C1365, and C1466). The attachment called C1300 does not seem to contain the C1300 workup or detection condition, but instead contains removal instructions for the master cylinder.

Indirectly, that does get at your question about access to the electrical connector. In a Gen 3 liftback, the answer would be "good luck without removing the windshield wipers and cowl first", and from the pages you attached, I'd say it looks like the same answer for the c.

This kind of reads as if you're hoping for diagnostic results in advance of diagnostic effort. Looking up the DTC detection conditions, that's the first step, because now you know exactly what the car's telling you is happening. The next step is to find out why.

For example, your C1311 means there has been some delay, at least a fifth of a second, for the ABS incoming power to rise above 3.5 V when the ABS relay is commanded on. The code can't tell you why that happened, or whether it happens every time, but it is something fairly specific to know you have to investigate.

For your C1365, the freeze frame screenshot you posted shows the detail code 331, so what happened was the supply voltage to the accumulator pressure sensor went outside the range 4.55 to 5.45 V at some point, for 0.8 seconds or more. It was clearly behaving when you did your manual testing later, so whatever happened is intermittent. If you look in your C1365 freeze frame photos, you see a lot of suspiciously low voltages, 0.00 on IG1 and IG2, 0.15 on BS1, 8.94 on VM1, at that same instant. If I were a brake ECU, I'd set some codes for that!

Maybe it's worth looking in the wiring diagram to trace those back and see where you could look for a flaky connection or damaged wire that would affect those together.

There isn't much magic to diagnosis, it's just a lot of noting all your clues in detail and puzzling them out like that.

7. ilya980

ilya980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    You have much more experience than I do in looking at these diagnostics charts. Thank you for helping me.

I only have wiring diagram for Gen 3, not Prius C.

Looking at A58 and comparing it with parts of the diagram I have for Prius C, I see that BS - 15, IG1 - 16, BI - 14, and IG2 - 12. So, C1311 tells me that BS voltage was more than 3.5V while IG1 voltage was more than 9.5V (for more than 0.2 sec). The code C1365 with detail code 331 says that VACC voltage to the pressure sensor was out of range. As I understand, this VACC wire is internal to the "Brake Booster with Master Cylinder Assembly" and is not shown on the wiring diagram. The rear right wheel speed sensor are pins 22 and 9. I don't see the detailed INF code in my screenshots for C1466. I don't see the wiring harness (behind the cowl), but these speed sensor wires (pins 22 and 9) should travel to the wheel separately from BS, IG1, BI, and IG2, right? (Yes, they start in the same bundle, but the only connector they are together is A58)

Now this looks like an intermittent electrical problem. I cleared the codes yesterday and they did not come back. I will try to inspect the A58 connector on the weekend. I remember it was difficult to remove and install the cowl. It looks like an internal electrical skid ECU problem, but I am still not sure it was not caused by something else, such as, for example, an electrical leak to the ground from BS in the A58 connector or in the harness. Also, it looks plausible that an undervoltage on BI or BS (weak auxiliary battery) could cause this problem. Maybe I should start with auxiliary battery load testing?

Thanks.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's on TIS, same site as the repair manual, just under the EWD tab.

If I was reading the detection condition right, the problem was that BS did not rise above 3.5 V within the expected amount of time when the relay was supposed to have turned on.

The Japanese to English translation maybe could have been clearer, but the way I read it is "we can tell when the relay closes because BS had better go well above 3.5 V then, and that didn't happen."

A look at the wiring diagram should shed light on which reading makes more sense.

Probably right, as it is supposed to be a 5 volt supply, so it has to be produced by an internal regulator from the 12ish volts coming in somewhere. But the freeze frame showed a lot of zeroes for other voltage measurements at the same time; you probably can't blame an internal regulator that couldn't make a steady 5 out of bubkes coming in.

Yeah, that was weird; I didn't see a freeze-frame snowflake for that one. I don't know why that would be.

It's easy and wouldn't hurt anything. On the other hand, when I look at those voltages in the C1365 freeze frame (zero on IG1 and IG2?? 0.15 on BS1?) those aren't the kind of readings that say "tired battery" to me, they say more like "not connected" (at that instant, at least). If the whole 12 V system from the battery were to drop to 0 or 0.15, a lot of other things in the car would be noticing.

9. ilya980

ilya980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    You are right. Thanks.

The BS (pin 15) goes to 20A ABS Main No. 1 fuse and then to the battery. Zero BS1 voltage suggests that either fuse of the wire has an intermittent problem (open circuit). BI, IG1, and IG2 go into the ignition system. I don't understand how it works. Does voltage on IG1 and IG2 come from BI? I don't see BI voltage on diagnostic screens. Does zero IG1 and IG2 also mean that BI voltage is zero? The BI is fused with 7.5A ABS Main No. 2. Both fuses, as I understood, are in the engine compartment (passenger side). They are fuses 19 and 28 in the engine compartment: Fuse box diagram Toyota Prius C / Aqua and relay with assignment and location

Should I check these 2 fuses the next time problem occurs? If fuses are ok, should I then get to the A58 connector and check BS and BI voltages?

Thanks.

10. ilya980

ilya980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I wanted to check IG1, IG2, BS1 voltages while the car acts normal, but since I cleared the codes I don't have snowflakes anymore. The Data List does not show them. Is there a way to check these voltages? How do I get Freeze Frame data? Thanks.

11. ilya980

ilya980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I still need help with this. I cleared the codes and the problem "went away" until yesterday, when skid light started to flash again at random while breaking. Today all 4 lights came back on, but the codes are now different: C1238 - foreign object is attached on tip of rear speed sensor RH; and C1466 - rear speed sensor RH circuit. I took the right rear wheel off, unplugged the sensor, cleaned the connector and spun the hub by hand a few times back and forth. Then cleared codes. Next, while driving all 4 lights came on and then came off after about 10 sec. Now, there are no lights on the dashboard. I read the codes again and there is only one current code C1238 (though I cleaned it earlier today). The sensor wire connector looks fine. The freeze frame data shows erratic behavior of that sensor. Sometimes it shows 0 while driving, sometimes it shows something different from other 3 sensors.

It looks like either sensor tip or the sensor rotor is dirty or damaged. Unfortunately, the repair manual tells to "replace hub assembly".

How hard is it to remove this sensor from the hub assembly and clean it? Is it worth trying or should I just replace the hub? How hard is it to remove the hub itself? I saw horror videos that even a slide hammer is not enough to pull the hub out. This car has drum rear brakes, same as Yaris.

Thanks.

12. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One

I would replace the sensor, i don't know if cleaning will help with this.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From Toyota, the rear hub assembly comes with the sensor included. The sensor is pressed into place.

The repair manual might have instructions for removing the pressed-in sensor from the hub and pressing it in to a replacement hub (if you have a replacement hub from some other supplier that came without the sensor), but those are mostly moot if you buy parts from Toyota, as they don't list the hub without the sensor or the sensor without the hub.

In a place with winters and salt, it can be a headache to get the hub out of the car. But generally, whoever needs to do it eventually manages.

It is possible that the whole hub is due for replacement anyway, and wear of the bearings could be contributing to the flaky sensor reading.

14. ilya980

ilya980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thank you! I am trying to remove the hub. I took 4 bolts out (through holes) and presoaked the seam with penetrating oil. I have a 2-jaw pulley with a large slide hammer. I attached the jaws trough the 2 holes in the rotor. I hit it with all my strength and it does not move. It does not separate from the backplate. How do I take it out? Is there a trick to do it? Will I break the front rotor or pull it out of the hub cylinder if I hit it so hard? Whether I am replacing the hub, replacing the sensor, or cleaning the sensor I need to take the hub out. Please help.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've seen people suggest a number of hub-persuasion strategies.

One of them that sounds to me like it would have potential is to use a hammer and drift, or an air hammer, tangentially at the base of the hub, trying to get it to rotate a bit in the bore of the axle.

That both represents progress in itself, and also can get the bolt holes moved slightly, so they don't line up with the ones in the axle. At that point, you also might have a chance to thread a couple bolts back through the holes that are threaded, and tighten those to help press the hub out.

I eventually persuaded my Gen 1's with many uninterrupted minutes on the slide hammer. My arm was very tired. It can seem to not be moving at all, for quite a long time.

Another hint: if using a slide hammer (and if you haven't rotated the hub, and the bolt holes still line up), keep a couple bolts in place, hanging by a couple of threads.

That way, when the thing finally does let go, it will only come out that far and be stopped by the bolts. Otherwise it may fly out with your slide hammer and do possible damage to the sensor wiring (if you haven't unplugged it first) and to the brake line (because the backing plate likes to come along with the hub).

16. ilya980

ilya980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thank you! I pulled it out. But it came out together with the back plate! What do I do now? It is hanging on the brake line and parking cable. I supported it underneath, of course. But now I need to separate the hub from the backplate. How do I do this? Will I need to take the rear brakes apart, disconnect the parking cable, clamp the rear brake line and then bleed brakes? I have very little access now from behind, but I don't know how to push the hub out of the plate. Please help. Thank you.

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, that happened to me too. What I did next was in my ordeal here:

But that was in Gen 1, where the bolt holes that are threaded are the ones in the hub. Yours might have the threaded holes in the axle beam and and the through-holes in the hub, which could mean having to improvise something different from what I did.

ilya980 likes this.
  18. ilya980

ilya980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thank you! I got it out. I used a long bolt and a nut of a size slightly larger than the holes in the rotor. I put the nut behind the rotor, threaded the bolt in and then pushed the backplate with that bolt. I alternated several times between the opposite sides. The first two pushes were the most difficult. When the backplate finally separated it popped pretty loudly (1 pop on each side). After that it was easy, but I still had to switch sides 4 or 5 times. Had to be very careful while threading the bolt to make sure it pushes against the back plate and does not tocuh anything else. Did not have to do anything with brakes!

Sonic_TH likes this.
  19. ilya980

ilya980 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    How do I know if the bearing is good or bad? It has no free play. The wheel did not move at all when I pushed it 3-9 and 6-12 o'clock. I can rotate the hub (removed from the car) by hand, but rotating it by just my pinky finger is pretty hard. It has some grinding resistance. With the tire on it spins fairly free, but there is a bit of intermittent grinding noise.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The pragmatic answer might be that if there is a problem with the sensor anyway, then whether the bearing's good or bad may be an academic question.

Ideally, you'll have proven out all the sensor wiring to be sure the issue being reported by the ECU isn't caused somewhere else. Assuming that's been ruled out, and you've already done all the work to get the old hub out, you could put a new hub in and not look back.