1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS and Brake lights on (no VSC)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zariche, Nov 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. zariche

zariche New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

2007 prius 155 miles.
    Yesterday noticed that after releasing parking brake, the red Brakes wont go off, and so as ABS and (!) light stays also on.
    at first I thought it was stuck parking brakes, because they were generally barely stopping car.
    tried few times brake release no luck.

After searching forums, I have found some similar threads, but none has solution.
    So in my case, red Brakes, ABS and (!) is on. (no VSC). can and brakes work absolutely the same, VSC works.

tested 12V battery: at idle 11.5-11.8 on load ~11V with lights and etc goes lower than 11. so is it way bad? car doesnt have problems with starting.

second thing, can it be problems with rear calipers? I am going to replace it and hope no bleeding would be necessary.

what else should I check?

I see posts about paperclib diagnostic mode, but cant find any info which pinns to connect and where to read codes, if there is one, please link it :)

2. zariche

zariche New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just an update:
    battery goes as low as 10V and then car turns off. I will replace it now, see if it helps with ABS

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The voltage measurements across the 12V battery are very low. Your battery has been depleted and needs to be recharged. A fully-charged 12V AGM battery should measure close to 13V.

Measure the voltage across the 12V battery when the car is READY. If the voltage is not ~13.8V, then the problem is that the DC/DC converter in the inverter has failed. If the voltage on the 12V bus is not correct, that will cause the skid control ECU to turn on those warning lights.

Regarding the parking brake not holding the car stationary, that just requires adjustment.

I'm not sure why you are concerned about the rear brake calipers right now. However, check the pad thickness on the front and rear brakes, especially looking at the inner pads. This requires removing the tires for inspection.

4. zariche

zariche New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks fro your reply,
    yes, the battey does not hold a lights on for 5 minute,
    just wondering if it needs recharging or replacing.

when ready, its steady 14.1-14.2, while driving also.

whats about calipers, i thought maybe they have worn enough for abs to think there is problem and self disabled.

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Start by charging the 12V battery, and then replace it, if it does not hold a charge.
    It appears the inverter is working fine.

Unless a caliper is leaking fluid, I would not worry about those. However you should check brake pad thickness. Do not think you can replace a caliper without having to get the air out of the brake lines.

You will need Mini VCI to bleed the brake system, and that can also be used to retrieve the DTC logged by the skid control ECU.

6. zariche

zariche New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just to replace calipers? the ATF system is not closed and ehrmetic?

yeap, I need it in any way I think.
    it the techstream the soft toyota uses itself?

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota dealerships use Techstream. Mini VCI uses a pirated version.