1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(!), ABS and Stability Control dash lights but no codes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by NotForTheBurnouts, May 15, 2022.

Tags:
  1. NotForTheBurnouts

NotForTheBurnouts New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Many thanks to anyone with a clue:

I upgraded my traction battery from NiMH to LiFePO (NexPower) and upon first start up the above dash lights illuminated. I don't have any relevant OBD II codes for the braking system(s). The accumulator pump no longer starts when I enter the vehicle, and in a short drive the re-gen braking no longer seems to work. Braking is softer and sounds and feels like it's entirely hydraulic/mechanical.

I've checked the ABS fuses and they appear fine. Without codes I'm at a loss where to begin. I'm using an Innova 3011 scanner. Is this a scanner limitation? Should I disconnect and reconnect the 12V and traction batteries?

Any help is appreciated.

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The scanner you're using could be the problem...

One of these devices will give you access to lots of diagnostic apps you can run on your phone, especially the Dr. Prius app that was created by designer of your new pack: Panlong Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader Check Engine ... | eBay

In the meantime, you can disconnect the 12v battery for a few minutes to clear the warning lights and codes and see if they come back. Also most of the time when you reset the 12v you have to push the power button a second time to clear dash lights.

In general, after 7 years of testing the Project Lithium pack has never had a negative impact on the braking system. Is it possible something happened to the car when you were swapping your pack?

Check the voltage sensor harness where it plugs into the ECU... Sometimes there's corrosion in that connection that causes problems.

NotForTheBurnouts likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Before trying anything that would clear the codes (and that would include disconnecting the battery), I would advise trying to get the codes directly, using the Tc-to-CG jumper, count dash light blinks method. That's a quick reliable way forward when the scan tool you're using won't show you the relevant codes. You can search for other threads here with details on how you do that.

Just clearing codes before you know what they are tends to set you back in solving the problem until the car re-diagnoses it and sets the codes again (and how long that might take can depend on the kind of problem).

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It may set you back, but sometimes it gets your car running again rather than having to wait days for the code reader you ordered to arrive.

I suspect OP disconnected the 12v when they installed the new pack and when they powered up the car they didn't hit the power button a second time to clear the dash lights. Of course I've never tried to drive a Prius prior to second push of power button, so not certain that the symptoms they described are compatible with my suspicions.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's why I would advise trying to get the codes directly, using the Tc-to-CG jumper, count dash light blinks method. That's a quick reliable way forward without any need to order or wait for any code reader at all.

Once you know what the trouble codes are, you are free to decide if the issue is one where a sane person could clear the codes and try to keep driving for a while, and if you do that you're making an informed choice; you know what issue you've chosen to procrastinate about.

6. NotForTheBurnouts

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Great feedback! Thank you!

I've found a "CALIBRATION" document from this forum that describes the pin jumping, however it only describes one code. Is there a document that will provide more code examples that I might come across? Also what's an SST? The document instructs one to "(4) Using SST, connect terminals TS and CG of the DLC3."

7. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Every time you replace the battery the codes will pop up all you have to do is reset it

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My anova will only read ABS codes and really silly basic universal codes it will do nothing with the Prius almost except abs and very basic low engine power and that kind of nonsense I had to buy text stream to get anywhere else I didn't want to go the other autel and all those other routes

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    An SST in a Toyota manual is a "special service tool". They are identified by catalog numbers the same way Toyota parts are. Some of them are very technical and elaborate. Some are ... not.

We had a funny exchange several years ago where somebody was saying "There is a special service tool #09843-18040 that you use ... I would never, ever recommend just using a wire", which kind of cried out for posting a picture of that SST. It's a wire. :)

Now, it does have crimped-on pokey ends of the right shape to go into the diag port terminals without mangling them. If you're using a wire, it's good to think about that with the diameter and shape of the ends. But it's not rocket science.

[​IMG]

Be very careful not to confuse the Tc and Ts pins. For reading codes, you jumper Tc to CG. Tc. Not Ts. Same for clearing codes.

There are only certain specialized procedures that involve Ts. You found a calibration one. Normally, that wouldn't be something you'd be thinking about, unless you read the codes first, and you turned out to have the code for "do this calibration please."

The place you find all the codes you might encounter and what they'll mean is in the repair manual for the right year and model of the car.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

In the "DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE CHART" section for the brakes, there are separate tables for ABS DTC, VSC DTC, Electronically Controlled Brake System (ECB) DTC, and you need to keep track of which codes were blinked out on which lights and look them up in the right tables (some of the code numbers overlap). The ECB light is the ((!)) one.

There's also a fourth table for the single weird 41 code, which can be either an ABS or an ECB code.

10. NotForTheBurnouts

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You've been an excellent help!

I jumped the Tc and CG pins and was able to get the following blink codes:

(ABS) dash light: 43
    (!) ECB dash light: 36
    VSC dash light: 43

I was able to Google a "DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE CHART" for the park assist of a 2010 Prius which gave me the DTC codes for the VSC and ECB. The trouble area for both is likely the ABS according to the codes. The chart has "ABS and Electronically Controlled Brake System DTC" and "ABS Test Mode DTC" areas but neither have the code 43.

Does any of this seem reasonable? Would you or anyone else mind sharing what 43 is for the ABS DTCs?

Many thanks again!

11. NotForTheBurnouts

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Disregard last re: ABS DTC. I missed the section on ABS DTCs and 43 appears to be "Yaw rate and acceleration sensor internal
    stuck malfunction"

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those little phrases, or fortune cookies, that go with the codes aren't what the codes "are"; they are barely-adequate memory jogs for the use of techs who have looked up the codes' full descriptions lots of times before. So in a forum like this, after you look up the blink codes in those tables, it's more helpful to give the actual trouble codes they correspond to, because that's how any reader can look up the full troubleshooting sections in the manual.

So, ABS 43 is C1243.

VSC 43 and ECB 36 both just mean "what are you looking at me for? go look at your ABS code."

So that C1243 is the thing. There's a six-page section in the manual with troubleshooting steps to pin down what's going on and what to do about it.

13. NotForTheBurnouts

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Final update on my post:

Apparently I yanked the left-rear wheel speed sensor wire connector apart when I pulled the traction battery out for the LiFePO upgrade. This disabled the ABS, ECB and VCS systems which gave me my dash lights. Plugging the wire connector back in again solved my dash lights and brake re-gen. I don't know why my blink codes didn't point me in this direction but all's well that ends well I guess.

Thanks to everyone for their input! This forum is really great!