1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS and Traction Control lights on. Safe to Drive to dealer?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by co_prius_3, May 21, 2017.

1. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Out of the blue this morning, the ABS and traction control lights came on. The brakes now seem weak and require a hard press to be effective. I have to press the brakes much closer to the floor than usual before they seem to actuate. I checked the brake fluid and it is at the normal level in the reservoir. After a shutdown and restart the lights remain on with same symptoms.

Should I call a tow truck or is it safe to drive to the dealer? I will also ask the dealer their opinion before I bring it in. The 2011 Prius is out of warranty but very low miles, ~ 35k. This is literally the first major breakdown, not counting a not-my-fault front end collision in 2015 which put it in the shop for 2 months.

I've read some other threads about ABS symptoms. I sure hope it's not the ABS actuator, which is very expensive.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like abs actuator problem. I would tow it in since the brake is impaired

3. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably the safest option. My insurance covers roadside assistance, so might as well use it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her? if it is the actuator, i would ask for goodwill warranty.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nobody can honestly say what it sounds like before you read the trouble codes. On a Gen 3, if you don't have a suitable reader, it can be done with a jumper wire by counting blinks; lots of PriusChat threads have the details.

The symptoms you've described would be expected any time the braking computer switches into failsafe mode for any reason. That doesn't tell you what the reason was. That's what the codes are for.

-Chap

6. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a ScanGauge II but would have to check the manual on how to use it to read the codes.

Edit: According to the dealer service dept., if the lights aren't flashing it's safe to drive. I drove it to work. It takes some getting used to the pedal feel and longer braking distance. B mode helps. I have an appt. for service tomorrow morning.

#6 co_prius_3, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  7. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ran the Scangauge (v 3.17) SCAN function multiple times. It showed:

No Codes Found
    --Ready--

Seems odd there would be no codes when these 3 warning lights are on:

Slip Indicator ~~, ABS, and Brake system ((!))

In the owner's manual, these lights are listed under "have the vehicle inspected immediately"

#7 co_prius_3, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A ScanGauge might need custom XGAUGE definitions to see the codes in question (for Gen 3 that surprises me, but I've been surprised before). You can always blink them though.

9. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I took it to my local hybrid place. They scanned it for free. Found one speed sensor code. Cleared the codes and all is well. Apparently it was an electrical glitch and/or weak 12V battery. The battery was replaced in 2016, so I would hope it isn't that.

MPGesus likes this.
  10. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update: the brake problem hasn't returned. Looks like it was just a glitch.

Rebound likes this.