1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS, Brake and Traction lights on with codes C1252, C1253, C1256, C1365

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kamrul, Apr 18, 2023.

1. kamrul

kamrul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suddenly got several lights with the alarm beeping in my Gen 3 Prius while it was running nice and slow down a lane. Along with that, the brakes got softer, meaning I needed to press the pedal multiple times down to the floor to make a stop even at a slow speed of 20 Kmph. It does not seem like the regenerative braking is working and the hybrid battery is only getting charged while the engine is running. I have uploaded a quick demonstration video of the problem.

It's an imported 2013 Prius JDM (Japan Domestic Model) with over 120,000 kilometers / 75K miles now. I have not replaced the brake fluid since owning it in 2019 and don't know if the brake fluid was ever been replaced by the previous owner. I replaced the brake pads last year though, that's about the only brake-related job performed on the car since my ownership.

Getting back to the issue, the scan with Launch X431 returned these 6 error codes (picture uploaded) :

ABS/VSC/TRC (5)
    C1252
    C1253
    C1256
    C1365
    U0073

Entry & Start (1)
    U0155

The garage mechanic has told me that probably this has happened due to the Brake Motor not getting power or it could be weak or gone and a replaced Brake Motor might fix it. He is not sure if the Brake Booster is weak as well which would result in a very expensive replacement of the complete Brake system. The fun part is, he hit the motor with a hammer and Voila! The lights were gone along with the beeping alarm and my Prius brake was normal for a few kilometers until the lights came back with the alarm while moving.

To my fellow Prius Chat experts, looking forward to your guidance to getting this beautiful little car running back to normal again.

P.S My commute is always full of traffic. Just for example, a 2-kilometer away distance takes over 30 minutes and over 50 brake presses during moderate traffic hours, far worse in peak hours. I also replaced my weak Auxiliary battery a week ago and noticed a significant drop in fuel economy ever since. I don't know if these could contribute to this case I am facing.

IMG00089.jpg

IMG-20230416-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20230416-WA0020.jpg

#1 kamrul, Apr 18, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Looks like my ISA 10 model . I'm guessing the part on the firewall with all the computer parts is the part that is probably failing but I don't know that there are tests to separate that You can use a mechanic stethoscope shut down the car listen for leaks at both units see if you hear any leaking down going on and that's kind of a dead giveaway but it seems the things that do the computer controlling are in the part that goes on the firewall and then I guess there's a different rack with the pump and something else with it It's two pieces If you misdiagnose you replace the wrong piece and then have to buy the other piece in the manual which is posted somewhere out in the wild there is extensive testing procedures that you need to follow to a t so you're not buying $1,500 worth of parts versus like seven this is all stateside prices that I've looked up recently this is for new parts from whoever I don't think any of this is available in the aftermarket sometimes the JDM importers will grab you one or we'll have some of these parts You have to check around.

3. kamrul

kamrul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quite literally, my biggest concern is finding out the root cause. I went to several mechanics and all suggested similarly based on the scan report alone. That is to replace the Brake Motor, which they 'hope' would fix the issue.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You've got these two things under the hood:

[​IMG]

The bottom thing has an electric pump (the smaller round bit) that puts brake fluid under pressure into an accumulator (the bigger round bit). That pressurized brake fluid is used by the upper thing, which controls the fluid and sends it to the brakes.

The pump usually runs for just a second or so whenever the accumulator pressure gets a little bit used up. Because the pump starts when only a bit of pressure is used up, it doesn't normally take longer than a second or so to pump back up. It sounds a little bit like a rattlesnake. Or a joy buzzer.

Here's where it might be important to know exactly what you've been hearing. A lot of people with old enough cars get a problem where the pressure tends to bleed off, and the pump has to keep repeatedly running to build it back up. That's one kind of problem. It's usually a "replace that top thing" kind of problem.

But it sounds like maybe your pump just wasn't running at all. If you get that low-pressure warning beep and you're not hearing that rattlesnake or joy buzzer trying to build the pressure back up, well, nobody needs to look any further to see why the pressure's too low.

If the mechanic bopped the pump with a hammer and suddenly a rattlesnake noise started, and a few seconds later the low-pressure beep stopped, then to me that could suggest the motor brushes in the pump are just worn out. That would be more of a "replace that bottom thing" kind of problem.

Don Tibbetts and kamrul like this.
  5. kamrul

kamrul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    However, since the brakes are not working alright, I have slow-driven to a couple of garages and might need to visit a couple more. I hope this style of driving with a continuous beeping alarm won't hurt the system even further, right?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It won't hurt the system further, but the beeping is warning you that there's low or no boost pressure, so you might only be braking the front wheels and only with the force your own leg can make. So be careful that driving this way doesn't hurt you.

Also, in a crash, there's a chance the brake system gets further damaged. ;)

kamrul likes this.
  7. kamrul

kamrul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it normal to hear a sort of pressure release sound quite a few seconds after the car is switched off? It is a little different compared to the joy buzzer that sounds for a couple of seconds or so when the car is unlocked in the morning. I am talking about the past before getting these lights. Also, lately noticed the brake fluid staying about 1-1.5 centimeters above the Max mark when the car is off. I have not tested with a brake fluid tester but could it be due to possible water contamination?

8. kamrul

kamrul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well in that case, should changing the Electric Pump alone work or the whole Brake Booster Pump Assembly (Accumulator)?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you count 90 seconds after switching the car off, and you hear a sort of click squish click click squish click, that's just the brake system doing its self test. Not a concern. (However, if you are ever planning to do some brake work, don't start taking things apart before that test happens; you don't want anything pressure-tested while disassembled.)

It is normal for the level to rise slowly when the car is off. Even in a non-worn system, the accumulator does not hold pressure perfectly; the fluid slowly escapes back to the plastic reservoir. That's why the pump normally has to run for a few seconds when you first open the car in the morning. It has to pump a bunch of fluid back to the accumulator, and the reservoir level drops.

The marks on the reservoir are placed for when the pressure is zeroed down and all the brake pads are fresh. So the fluid should be right at MAX then, and go a bit lower when the pump runs, and return to MAX slowly after the car is turned off. As the brake pads wear, the levels will stay a little lower.

You seeing it above MAX when it is zeroed down probably just means that somebody didn't understand how that's meant to work, and topped off the fluid some time in the past when it wasn't zeroed down (so it was supposed to be below MAX), and now it is slightly overfilled. Or somebody topped it off while the brake pads were old, and later new pads were installed, and now it is slightly overfilled. There's a bit of extra room in the reservoir so that is probably not much of a problem.

Of course, if your pump has ceased running at all, then you're going to see the zeroed-down levels pretty much any time you look.

The whole assembly is the only way Toyota sells it. I sometimes see threads with people scavenging individual bits and pieces of assemblies from other sources. If you have an easy source for the pump on its own you could try that, but I have no sense of how easy or practical it is to disassemble the assembly.

kamrul likes this.
  10. adam Boudili

adam Boudili New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I had same exact problem. Same lights same sound same hard brakes.

1252 1256 where the same codes I had. Checked for sensors/ leaks / oil/ brake fluid… everything else that could cause abs problems that’s minor. Ultimately I found a honest mechanic and he changed The ABS CONTROL MODULE AND ABS ACCUMULATOR ! my Prius v 2012 is now perfectly running. No lights, no hard brakes, nothing. You are wasting your time if you don’t get the accumulator and control module because trust me I looked for every single possible way to avoid it. Got both to be installed flr $1800 altogether. I was blessed with such a honest mechanic. Good luck.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is that with the 2012 Prius v mentioned in your profile? I see that you've made this identical post on several threads, some Gen 2 and some Gen 3.

There are some differences between the generations: if you meant a Gen 3, it sounds like your mechanic replaced two assemblies under the hood. In Gen 2, the accumulator is integrated with the actuator. In Gen 3, they're separate assemblies and you don't always need to replace both; sometimes you can diagnose which one is at fault.

Also, there are other possible causes of the codes. If the pump can't run for an electrical reason, for example, there will be too-long-pump-run and low-pressure codes.

So a person wouldn't be wasting time, to go through the recommended diagnostic procedure before going straight to the big-bucks replacement. If the replacement is what's needed, the diagnostic procedure will tell you that. If you want to save time and just bet that way, and you win the bet, that rocks. But it'll suck for the guy who jumps right to the big-bucks fix and it still doesn't work, and then finds out the 5¢ wiring fix takes care of it.

NB when I say "go through the diagnostic procedure", I just mean the steps in the manual for pinning down what's causing the problem. I don't mean the kind of further wishful thinking people sometimes go through before finally getting it fixed.

kamrul likes this.
  12. kamrul

kamrul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely agreed as I have seen that happening to people who don't have enough knowledge of their cars which is by no mean to be shameful. I have heard stories of mechanics and dealer shops trying this and that to find out a fix at the sixth time DIY, eventually robbing the owner.

13. kamrul

kamrul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My updates on the original issue -

I would break it into a couple of posts not to make the post inconveniently longer to read.

So I went to another mechanic shop with the lights and continuous beeping and scanned again. This time, found one code less -

C1365 Accumulator Pressure Sensor was not there.

As already said in the OP, the first mechanic hit the motor with a hammer and the lights were gone, the brakes were ok temporarily then everything went back to the problem state after a few kilometers' drive.

Codes on the first scan were -

DTC was not cleared after the first scan.

On the second scan, the codes that appeared were -

C1252
    C1253
    C1256

14. kamrul

kamrul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As @ChapmanF has also doubted, the second mechanic shop predicted that the Pump Motor (Accumulator) located on the other side of the driver was probably gone reading the codes. The accumulator was also not running then.

They had a used accumulator which we wanted to try to see if the problem gets solved. So they dissembled my accumulator, fitted the one they had and topped up the reservoir with Toyota DOT 3 Brake Fluid to compensate for the fluid loss during the process.

The lights were gone after start, scanned but had C1252, C1253, and C1256 - but cleared DTC afterward.

We took a test drive and found out that the pump motor was running quite audibly at almost every brake, be it a gentle one or a complete brake at moderate and high speed. It was even occasionally running while we were sitting in idle traffic with Parking mode.

This was something I had never experienced before in my 4+ years of ownership of the vehicle.

At this point, finding their accumulator running sporadically, the mechanic shop predicted that there was an abnormal leak in the Brake Booster itself.

Not being sure, we refitted my actual accumulator and drove back home. There were no error lights at that point and no such whirring sound of the motor spinning at nearly every stop.

15. kamrul

kamrul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since then, the car has been driven for a few days. The error lights have not reappeared yet though I have not further scanned to see if any codes are still there. But I have started to hear the whirring sound of the motor spinning on the press of the brake pedal now.

Interestingly, I have come across this Youtube video
    that claims to find out whether your Brake Booster has gone bad, and on my Prius, it seemed the Booster is still ok as per the test method he suggested.

I have noticed the motor spinning quite frequently even when sitting idle in traffic and maybe every now and then while the car is running - becoming similar to the other accumulator that was tested by the mechanic shop.

Something else, the bar in the CHG gauge does not go all the way to the left at a moderate speed full brake or at the time of regen braking. Also, the drop in the fuel economy is noticeable (yet it could be anecdotal since I am not driving much and only driving at moderate test speeds).

16. kamrul

kamrul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume that I would need to replace the whole brake assembly (Accumulator and Actuator). The reason why I am testing stuff is to find out whether there are any other root causes that might make the replacement unworthy since I am only getting imported reconditioned parts here where I live - reconditioned or used, anyway one name it with no mileage history and no warranty, plus they are a bit expensive.

17. kamrul

kamrul Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's an ABS Control Module? Where is it located in Gen 3 Prius?

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That video is for a conventional car with a vacuum-powered booster, nothing like a Prius at all.

Usually, those vacuum-powered boosters can hold enough engine vacuum for two or three good strokes of the brake pedal with the engine stopped, after which it will get hard.

In a Prius, the pressure accumulator holds more like twenty or thirty strokes' worth of pressurized fluid. You can do a similar test, and pump the pedal 20 or 30 times or so, and find that it suddenly gets quite hard. But to do that, you have to first disable the pump, because otherwise it will come on to replenish the pressure, even when the car is off. (Trivia: this test doesn't work in Gen 2, which assisted your braking a different way than all the other generations.)

It's a generic car part name; nothing in a Prius is actually called that. There are two things a person might mean when they say it: they could mean the ABS actuator (the thing with electromechanical valves to control the individual wheel brakes for ABS), or they could mean the ECU that's in control of all that (in the Prius, Toyota calls that the "skid ECU" because it is in charge of the electronically controlled braking, the ABS, and the skid control functions).

The parts move around in different Prius generations, but in a Gen 3, if you look back at the drawing in post #4, the upper unit there contains both the ABS actuator and the skid ECU. So if that assembly has been replaced, both of those parts have. :)

kamrul likes this.
  19. Midnight2065

Midnight2065 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So we had these symptoms in a 2013 prius and decided to change out the brake booster assembly w/ master cylinder. We could hear the pump still clicking and assumed it was still good. That said, after taking out the assembly and placing the new one in, we couldn't get tech stream to bleed the brakes nor did it appear that the new assembly was getting power in any way. My mechanic has done 100 of these and we're not sure what could be causing the assembly to not get power. The fuses seem to be okay and when we plugged in the original assembly just to check, now it too doesn't seem to be getting power either? Any tips or ideas as to what may be causing this? We think it could be either the abs 30/30/40 fuse although it appears to be in tact and he said something about the 12v possibly. Just tossing this out there to see if anyone had run across this issue and has a solution.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe a new thread "brake actuator not seeming to get power after replacement"? That's kind of an unusual situation, sets it apart from this thread a little.

Have you arranged access to a multimeter and the wiring diagram?

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

The two 30s in that 30/30/40 fuse are for power specifically to the pump motor. The brake system other than the pump motor gets power through ABS MAIN NO. 1, ABS MAIN NO. 2, and IGN.

What are the observations leading you to say "nor did it appear that the new assembly was getting power in any way"?