1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS, Brake Lights lit on start, no clicks on e-brake

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by obiejon12, Jan 22, 2019.

1. obiejon12

obiejon12 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

3 or 4 days ago I noticed that the emergency brake wasn't clicking as usual / behaving normally but no other issues (and did not roll around).

Yesterday started the car and the ABS, E-Brake indicator AND the ( ! ) came on and remained on. Drove it home and brakes needed more pressure than usual. Yes, I realize it wasn't safe to drive in that condition and yes, I am not going to drive it again until the issue is dealt with. The e-brake no longer clicks at all.

I tested the battery via the display diagnostics. Its about 11.4v on start up but gets to above 14v when on.

Any help would be huge!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is it cold there?

When it gets very cold here, the grease on my parking brake ratchet thickens, and it isn't very clicky on the way down. It's usually still just clicky enough to stay down once pushed, but doesn't make much of an audible clicking sound. If it gets so thick it doesn't stay down when you push it, you can always try pushing and holding it motionless for a moment, so the ratchet pawl has time to lazily drift into place.

As for the warning lights being on, there's one answer that never goes out of style: ask the car why the warning lights are on. Then you'll know. Otherwise, you won't. :)

If you don't have a laptop and Techstream handy, you can ask by jumpering two terminals at the diagnostic port, then counting the blinks of those lights. There are other threads with details (search for Tc and CG). Techstream gives more info though.

SFO likes this.
  3. obiejon12

obiejon12 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good to know! The parking brake seems back to its click-y self. So I did a Techstream report and I'm getting error codes C1343, B1421 and B1271. I don't think I have the expertise or equipment to do any brake bleeding... anything else I can do from here?

4. obiejon12

obiejon12 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Attached is the tech stream report

Attached Files:

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius