1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS Brake Problem: Error Codes C1203 and C1345

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AZGuyM, Oct 11, 2012.

1. AZGuyM

AZGuyM New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi All,

Hope someone can help me with a brake problem on my newly purchased 2007 Prius with 138K miles. Replaced the 12V battery as my mechanic was getting a high or low voltage error (C1241). Now, the ABS and brake warning lights are on and the brakes don't work right; it stops but the brakes don't feel right and grab somewhat when they shouldn't. Error Codes C1203 and C1345 keep showing up. My mechanic tried to initialize the linear solenoid valve and calibrate several times, but the error codes keep returning.

Took it to my local dealer for its opinion. It said that the linear offset valve wasn't learning, that it tried to zero and calibrate the ECB linear actuator, but that the DTC reoccurs. They said I need to replace the ABS system actuator assembly for $3,000!

I'm hoping that something has been missed and that the ABS assembly is okay. The ABS seemed to be working properly before the battery was replaced.

I'd appreciate any advice.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a reasonable diagnosis. The skid control ECU is another possible problem area.

You may want to inquire into the availability of a used part to reduce the $3K repair price.

amos likes this.
  3. AZGuyM

AZGuyM New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Patrick. The error code C1203 went away, so we think that the ABS system actuator assembly is the problem. EBay has a number of these assemblies for sale, asking anywhere from $75 to $250 including shipping. The ads all say that the part will fit in these models:

PRIUS 06-09 Actuator/Pump Assm; ID 44500-47090
    PRIUS 06-09 Actuator/Pump Assm; ID 44510-47050

Any advice on buying a used one? I am trying to find one from a later model year and lower mileage. My mechanic also told me that there was a Toyota alert that some 04-07 Prius models that exhibited a squeak-type noise when pressing or releasing the brake pedal when the vehicle was in Ready mode but not moving. It would be fixed under warranty if under 36K/3 years.

Much appreciated.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the squeak is not a safety issue. The normal repair is to first bleed the brake hydraulic system to see if that helps. If not then the brake actuator would be replaced, but that is not something you want to do if you have to pay for the repair and the squeak is the only problem.

In your case since you have all the DTC and driveability issues then you need to replace the brake actuator. The only advice I have regarding purchase of the used unit is that you try to identify the part number of your installed actuator (first removing the windshield cowl tray that houses the windshield wiper motor for access) and buy a unit with that number. I do not know if there are any compatibility issues between various actuator models and the skid control ECU.

5. AZGuyM

AZGuyM New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Patrick,

Great advice, thanks again. Was able to see the part number without removing the windshield cowl tray. It is 44510-47050. I'm tracking one down now...hopefully I can secure one in the next few days.

Darryl

6. AZGuyM

AZGuyM New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Final resolution: Ordered the part on EBay for $140, was installed for $300, so with the dealer's diagnostic charge of $100, was able to get it fixed for $540! Everything is working properly now. Thanks Patrick!

Darryl

SFO, dvancleve and PriusGuy32 like this.
  7. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With some input from Darryl, I also got a used actuator on eBay (from Deep Discount Auto Parts/PAM's Auto) for $150 shipped. It also has a lifetime warranty. I had it installed by Darryl's mechanic Tony Tran (Tran's Auto Repair in Phoenix) for something like $300 plus a bit extra to completely flush and refill the brakes. Car is fixed, wife is happy :^)

Doug

SFO likes this.
  8. Mohammad Awad

Mohammad Awad New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    same problem what I have
    please help

9. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Buy a compatible used actuator from the newest, lowest miles car you can find and search for a mechanic who will install a used part. For you, that is obviously from a wrecked/parted out '09, although one from a low mileage older car might also be fine.

Good luck, Doug