1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS, Brake, Traction lights all popped on after new brakes and tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jondaniels, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Jondaniels

Jondaniels Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just got new brakes and tires installed Monday. That night the traction, ABS, & Brake lights all came on at the same time.

Took it back to the shop Tuesday, mechanic clears the code (C1391) & says maybe a computer glitch. Same night Tuesday, while sitting in park idling they popped back up.

Now mechanic is saying my brake actuator is bad & needs to be replaced.. thoughts?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the code is still C1391, it's a hydraulics issue all right.

C1391.png

Because Gen 3 divides the underhood hydraulics into two assemblies, it is not always immediately clear which one you need. That should be determined before the checkbook comes out.

[​IMG]

Depending on how severe your issue is, there may be a little rattlesnakey or windup-toy-like noise that you hear repeatedly from under the hood. The more severe the issue, the more often you hear it. The silver lining there is that the more severe the issue, and the more often that pump runs, the easier it is to tell which assembly is at fault. A mechanic just holds a stethoscope to each one, and should be able to hear the hiss of fluid escaping through one or the other in the intervals between the pump runs.

It might be interesting to find out, from the shop that did the brake job, whether they opened bleed valves while pushing the caliper pistons back, or simply forced old fluid back up through the actuator.

Jondaniels and Tombukt2 like this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The guys in New Jersey JDM speck that I bought my engine and transmission from apparently are importing these two parts for the 2010 up Gen 3 and 4 maybe the first part of the brake and the pump assembly the two pieces booster and whatever they call the other one I think very reasonable too like 200 bucks I guaranteed to work etc

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it under the extended warranty?