1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Abs codes c1241 c1256 c1344 c1391 replaced brake actuator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Austen2007whiteprius, May 26, 2023.

1. Austen2007whiteprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got these abs codes so I replaced my abs actuator I went with a used one off eBay still cost about 600 bucks I simply didn’t have 1200 to put into it.. replaced it, started the car up. The codes are still showing. I still need to bleed the brakes so I figure I’ll replace the brakes while I’m at it. Are the codes likely to clear themselves or do I have to clear them with some fancy tool? I got the veepak tool and dr Prius app. Unfortunate it didn’t work. I’m going to manually bleed the brakes and hoping all will go well.. what should I look for to make sure the actuator wasn’t faulty and everything went well? Also one symptom of the braking I had was that if I start the car with foot on the brake and throw the car in drive or reverse the brake doesn’t work really the car will roll back. But as soon as I release the pedal and put back down the brake will work. So I’ve learned to just pump the brake before putting the car into drive, only does this maybe 1/4 of the time. Wondering what that’s all about?

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, you really need a capable scantool to tell the ABS ecu to bleed air from the actuator assembly.
    Also, you can look at data to "see what that's all about". Clear codes. Lots of good stuff.

Here's several scantool apps and devices.
    https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/3290690

One code is low 12V power for the ABS, one for low accumulator pressure, one for accumulator leakage, and one for problem with the left rear brake hydraulic circuit.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Austen2007whiteprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So what’s your take on the issue? With all those codes I’m a beginner to all this. Trying to get everything going 100% do you think I made the right move to replace that part? It was pretty expensive and kind of a pain to replace

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, this is harsh but you don't know what you're doing. At all.

You haven't followed (or looked at?) the factory procedures to diagnose the problem or replace the actuator.

You don't understand that there is something VERY wrong with you brakes as they are and could cause a serious accident.

The pedal going going down and the car rolling back means (at least) there's a bunch of air still in the system. Or a failing master cylinder. Or something else. There are several faults happening at the same time.

The more I think on it, you really should tow the car to someplace that can work on it.

If you "need to" DIY, then park the car and start doing some reading in the service manual. Google "2006 Prius service manual download" and you'll find it . Or get a two day subscription to Toyota TIS and download everything you can see.

Everyone has to start somewhere to learn how to do things. It's just that this is not a system to begin replacing stuff when you don't know what you're doing.

You gotta have the proper information and tooling.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#4 mr_guy_mann, May 28, 2023
    Last edited: May 28, 2023
  5. Austen2007whiteprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So how would I find out if it’s the master cylinder? I watched lots of videos and heard the actuator going off all the time

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The master cylinder in Gen 2 is separate from the actuator and a very simple part, not a lot to go wrong.

I second the suggestion to have the system professionally looked at. You can learn enough to diagnose and repair it yourself, but it may call for backing away from hands-on temporarily, so you can spend the time seriously studying the manuals, not just asking on forums. We can help with smaller gaps between what you know and what you need to know, but we can't be like the machine from the Spock's Brain episode.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Are you on the big island? Or elsewhere in the state? Sometimes being specific will get you recommendations for an independent shop.

The repair manual section on the Electronically Controlled Brake System is 240 pages and not for the faint of heart.

Assuming your ABS/Brake Actuator assembly is good, you might just need calibrations and a special brake flush with a Toyota Techstream scanner. An independent might get it fixed for one hour's labor. A dealer may charge a diagnosis fee and the services separately. Obviously if the used part is bad all bets are off.

A couple of basic screenshots:
    IMG_2109.jpeg IMG_2108.jpeg