1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS dash light, Anti-Skid computer problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cookej, Oct 28, 2013.

1. cookej

cookej New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased a new 2004 Prius and have been very satisfied until now. At 143K the brakes were grabbing ad the dealer re-calibrated the ABS EDU. Did not fix the problem. Returned to dealer. Adjusted stroke sensor and reinitialized stroke simulator. Problem solved. At 166K the hybrid warning light came on, the code indicated low voltage in 12 volt battery. At this point the original equipment battery was over 8 years old so the dealer replaced the 12volt battery ($233 parts & labor). At 167K brakes grabbing and ABS dash light on. Dealer recommended replacing Anti-Skid computer. Cost $2900. I found a two year old part (Prius hybrid skid control ECU #89540-47060) for $135 and the dealer agreed to install, re-flash for my particular car and programmed with my key for $335. I was told that this process could only be done by a Toyota Dealership. The $470 fix worked...but six week later the same problem reoccurred.

So that is my story. I now have a 2004 Prius that is unsafe to drive.

The option of disabling the ABS appears s most difficult with the regenerating brakes and drive-by-wire technology. The option of dealer replacement of skid control ECU ($3000) is almost the resale value of the vehicle and no guarantee that the problem is not upstream of the ECU and the same may occur, except I would have a 90 day dealer warranty.

Trading it in on another Prius seems like giving up. I drive 'em until the wheels fall off. Maybe this is the equivalent of just that!

If you have stuck with me for this lengthy and thorough explanation, I appreciate your patience and willingness to help.

If you have any advice, expertise or condolences to offer, I am listening.

Thank you,
    cookej

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please find out the DTC logged by the skid control ECU, and post.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has there ever been any mechanical repair of the brakes?

The final and most recent failure is that throwing a code too or just grabbing?

4. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Let me fix this. Should read: install, re-flash for my particular car and programmed with my key and calibrate. Skid control ECUs can not be flashed or programmed.
    These ECUs are pretty reliable. The odds of you having two defective ones are very low. I would expect the problem to be elsewhere.

If you can, find out what the codes are and post them. Maybe we can help.

Avi

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. cookej

cookej New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am using a Harbor Freight, Cen-Tech CAN OBII code reader and no DTC codes were detected. I selected Diagnostics, erased previously stored data, and codes found were 0. The brakes are grabbing and the ABS light, the ! in a circle in parentheses light and the word BRAKE appears on the dash.
    Thank you for your post.

6. cookej

cookej New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No there has been no repair to the brakes and no codes were found.
    Thank you for your post.

7. cookej

cookej New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well the reason I asked is the Gen2 suffers greatly from grabby brakes. If not regularly maintained I can't imagine how grabby they would be at 166,000 miles. It's easy to fix this grabbiness just apply firm brake pressure with the car at speed in neutral to disable regen. It helps to clean off surface rust from the rotor. This condition is greatly exacerbated if the car not garaged. I bet they are really bad right after it rains and first thing in the morning.

Hundreds of posts about it here on this site. Take a flashlight and look through the spokes of the front wheel and see how badly the rotor's are rusted and pitted. I bet they're really bad.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yeah the "program with my key" got me too.

Ok so now he knows...... his dealer like most is full of doggie doo. The skid control ECU is located right above the drivers left knee and would take 15 mins to replace. $335 for 15 mins sounds about right for a Toyota dealer.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Given that all those warning lights are on, the skid control ECU definitely has logged DTC. However a generic code reader will not retrieve those.

There is a method to obtain some skid control ECU DTC by using a jumper on the OBD-II connector and getting the warning lights to blink, do a search if you care to investigate that.

11. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    While the code(s) would be good, the freeze frame data would be better. For that the best would be techstream. You might call the dealer and see if they saved it and could print it out for you. Alternatively, you could ask them to scan it and give you the data. I don't feel this is too much to ask as they have already charged you for stuff that got you nowhere.

Avi

12. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think I've easily spent 15 min on just the upper nut replacing those. It is a real pain to get to.

13. Randy SB

Randy SB New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had the same problems with my 2005 Prius: grabby brakes (primarily at low speed), then the brake and ABS warning lights all came on one day. I had to limp it into the Toyota dealer hoping I could brake the car. They diagnosed skid control computer and wanted $2500. I found a used one on Ebay for $50 which they put in for $300, and I thought I was good. But the brakes still acted a little funny, and two weeks later the same lights were all on again. This time the service writer and manager did a little digging, and the service department at another dealer recommended replacing the stroke sensor. They did so, and at my insistence did not charge labor this time. It worked, and I have had no recurrence in the 3 months since. I still suspect that the skid computer never did need replacing.