1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS issue, Beeping and many dash lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sarah Brady, Aug 17, 2023.

1. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I also think that you have multiple issues with your car. The first thing you need to do is buy a better scantool that can communicate with all the ECUs in your car. Take a look at the link below, which reviews a number of different scantools for a Gen 2 Prius.https://priuschat.com/index.php?threads/232741/

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As far as the codes from the brake system, that system has a way to get the codes without a scantool, and she did that.

Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

Now if she did have a better scantool, she might also get the INF codes that go with her C1241, and it might be helpful to have those, as dolj suggested in #10.

Also, the better scantool would get the code(s) responsible for the red triangle light, which would be worthwhile to have.

3. theory816

theory816 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Base
    What do you think about the mini VCI techstream? When I used it a while ago, it seemed pretty accurate.

4. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    TechStream is what Toyota dealerships use for diagnostics, so it is the gold standard.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Sarah Brady

Sarah Brady New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey Y'all. I have returned with an update. I changed the 12V battery to a new one and replaced the inverter coolant pump. As of right now, I have no more warning lights. The coolant reservoir is turbulent like it is supposed to and everything is normal. I did end up bleeding the inverter just to be safe (I dropped a clamp :rolleyes:). I will be driving it around later, Here's hoping the lights stay off!

dolj and bisco like this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  7. theory816

theory816 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Base
    Is the old pump bad and how did you test for it?

8. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now that you have your car running I suggest you get the following items for “next time”:

a Mighty Max 35Ah 12 v battery from Amazon. Much cheaper than any other 12 v bat and pretty easy to install - terminal clamp bolts thru the battery post holes, and some wedges to hold it in place

a cheap smart charger - Foxsur from Amazon

keep the spare battery charged with this

Mini VCI Techstream from eBay. It’s hacked so it never expires. Of course don’t try to log on to the Toyota Techstream website

get the components and build a grid charger. This will enable you to charge your HV bat if you have an issue with repeatedly failing to get the engine running. Cost will be under $100

This way you’ll have a few things you might need next time a problem crops up

congrats on changing the coolant pump. If you can do this, the above items are easy. Just be very careful around electricity

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't really need to be buying a battery now for something that might happen 2-5 years in the future.

10. Sarah Brady

Sarah Brady New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don’t know how the pump wasn’t “bad.” The only test I did was on an OB2 scanner that indicated the inverter pump. As well as looking at the coolant reservoir for turbulence. After I replaced the inverter pump and bled the coolant the red triangle was gone and the coolant reservoir was turbulent as it should be.

11. Sarah Brady

Sarah Brady New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Updating once again. While driving the check engine light came on and is staying on. sigh. I looked at the blink codes and am still getting the same results as before (post #2). I am reading through your suggestions again and believe I will need to check the list in post #10. How will I know a relay is bad?

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The ABS NO. 1 & ABS NO. 2 relays are located in the engine room fuse box. They are the green rectangular ones, one at the top, and the other at the bottom right.

Here is a link that will show you how to test a relay.

How To Test An Automotive Relay At Home | Mechanic Base

It might be time to find a way to read the HV system codes you're not seeing just so you can get the full picture. A few posts in this thread have already mentioned the scanner review thread which contains a few options.

Sarah Brady likes this.
  13. Sarah Brady

Sarah Brady New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey y’all. At the end of my night my dash shut off. I can’t catch a break with my Prius I swear. After reading other threads the instrument cluster is needing replacement now. I guess it’s time to open up the dash. Thanks for everyone’s help. I think I’ve decided to replace the cluster, I am not knowledgeable enough to try to replace the caps etc. I am wondering if that’s why the check engine light came on? Because everyone I’ve seen with the dash off will still occasionally show the check engine.

Also, for those recommending better code readers, thank you for sharing those options. I will look into purchasing after the next replacement.