1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS lamp and beeping - prognosis?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Jeremyh, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I am getting a high pitched beep and accompanying ABS lamp when I start my Gen 1 prius. Just looking for some general advice/opinions/information before taking it in to a mechanic in the next few days.

The car idles and can be drives OK but the brakes feel 'ineffective'. Not rock hard, not sloppy. Stopping distance is massively increased.

There is no fluid loss.

I checked all the relevant fuses and links and also inspected (as best I could) the ABS sensors cables to check for obvious damage, but found nothing.

I also scanned the ECU with my OBD2 reader but it didn't show any faults.

Possibly related: About a week ago I had a very mysterious and alarming sound from the front passenger wheel. It sounded like a horrible metal on metal dragging noise. I couldn't see a thing wrong with it and after a bit of driving back and forth and braking the noise disappeared. I drove home and took the wheels off and inspected the pads and rotors and everything looked fine so I assumed something had gotten caught in the wheel.

Any ideas or suggestions for further troubleshooting?

Cheers
    Jeremy

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Get it scanned for codes. You may have issues with the actuator

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The OBD2 reader that you used did not get the codes from the brake system, but you need them.

A mechanic with Toyota Techstream software can retrieve them, or you can, using just a short wire and counting some blinking dash lights. You can search this forum for lots of posts about blink codes and the Tc and CG terminals, for how to do that.

There are on the order of a hundred things that can set codes in the brake system, but only about half a dozen that also set off the alarm beep, so we know it's one of those.

If you had a Gen 2, a lot of the possible culprits would be combined into what's basically one replaceable assembly, so after ruling out simple things like wiring and relays, there wouldn't be much question what to do next.

But in a Gen 1, the components potentially involved are in three different replaceable assemblies, so it's in your interest to narrow down the problem a bit more. It all starts with those codes.

I wrote an old post a while back that was really about diagnosing ECU-monitored systems in general, but I happened to use the Gen 1 brake system as the example, so it might end up being particularly useful to you here. (One thing you'll notice is that even for "ruling out simple things like wiring and relays", if you're doing that without the help of the codes and the manual, you're going the long way around.)

-Chap

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  4. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all. ChapmanF - don't suppose you have a quick step by step for how to do that?

I understand the TC and CG pins are 13 and 4 on the OBD port respectively, but I am unsure if I should connect them with the ignition on, or what.

OK, I read the codes - it seems to me it is saying 56 64.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NuBzuX6qMkd8hCpo7

I think this is related to a 'malfunction of accumulator low pressure (56)' and 'malfunction in hydraulic system (64).

Strangely, after I pumped the pedal and let it idle for a minute, the beeping went away, but it still seems to show the same fault code/s.

#4 Jeremyh, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  5. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh! Also - could this be related to a bad battery? I had a few warnings last week (triangle alert on dash) which also didn't have a fault code and which I put down to a bad battery - it was at 11.7V.

I charged the battery but it was charging incredibly slowly so I put it down to a bad battery and was intending to replace it this week. The fault re-occured once again, but the battery was low then, too.

(Come to think of it, I wonder if that warning could have been from the brake system. Oops.)

6. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My thought is that you need a new brake booster pump. I've been thru this and the symptoms match yours. I replaced mine with a used one from a junk yard and bled the brakes and haven't had any troubles since, it's been over a year. From Toyota, it's about an $1100 part. I got my used one at a pick n pull for $25. Pays to check all the sources. Ebay, Amazon, etc. I know you're in OZ but it would probably be worth having a used one shipped from the US.

7. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting, thanks for that Brian. Yep, parts can be tricky to come by here.

Any possibility this could be related to a bad/failing 12V battery? (crossing my fingers here..)

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, getting somewhere now. The repair manual is where you find more information than in those one-liner fortune cookies that people throw around for those codes. The manual describes what are called the "detecting conditions", namely, what actually happens in the car to make those codes be set.

The "low pressure malfunction" fortune cookie seems mostly connected to the pressure monitoring signals: the computer will set the code, for example, if it sees both the low-pressure and high-pressure switch signals at the same time. There are five such conditions listed in the manual. One of them is just that the low-pressure signal stays on for more than 60 seconds while the ECU wants to pump it up, in which case the pump could be faulty, or could just be receiving bad power. There are six pages in the manual of troubleshooting steps you can follow for that code to pin things down.

The detecting condition for 64 is that the different pressure sensors in the system give different readings for 1 second or more while you have the pedal depressed. That could indicate a wiring issue, fluid leakage, or a problem in the actuator (note: in a Gen 1, the actuator is not in the same assembly with the accumulator/pump; they're different items). There are only a few checks to be made there, but they're simplest with Techstream, where you can watch the readings from the different sensors to see what's funny about them.

Replacement of the Gen 1 accumulator is a long knucklebusting job (more so if you don't want to have to evac and recharge the A/C, which is in the way). In some cases it'll turn out to be the problem, but you'd probably hate to do it first and have it not be.

-Chap

9. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it does draw a bit of blood. Lately everything I do on cars does, tho.

10. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK. So, I took the battery (which was at ~11.7V) out and gave it a good charge overnight, plus had it load tested at the battery shop - it checked out OK.

Reconnected it this morning, and the ABS fault lamp went away. Pretty sure that the brakes are working normally. (I've been driving a different car all week so I'm acclimatised to that car's brakes).

I did get a new error come up, though. No fault codes in the ECU (that I could read using OBD2 at least).

Could the ABS fault have been a phantom issue caused by a low 12V battery?

20180810_115806.jpg

11. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK. I removed the battery for a few minutes to clear the fault. Started back up, and thought I was in the clear, but then the same error as above reappeared after a few seconds. Still no fault code on OBDII..

I'll also add that I went into the self diagnosis menu and the multifunction display reported the battery voltage as 11.7V. Which still seems low.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What are you using to scan for codes. Repeated postings that say "no fault codes" when there are clearly warning indicators usually mean the poster isn't using a Prius-capable tool, which slows down getting information about the problem.

By the way, the voltage reading on the MFD is handy, but usually a good fraction of a volt low, just because of where the reading is taken. That reading probably means you'd be seeing 12.2, 12.3 or so with a meter at the battery.

-Chap

13. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Chap - I am using a generic (ELM327) OBDII bluetooth adapter and the "Torque" app. In the past, I've been able to successfully read the code for an inverter coolant over-temperature condition. When I say "no codes" I am meaning to say "no codes that I am able to read with my equipment" (which perhaps would give someone much more experienced like yourself a hint about where the fault is originating from and how to read it, which is exactly what happened with the brake system fault).

I will measure the voltage at the battery terminals and compare it to the MFD today.

You gave some good advice earlier about troubleshooting the brake system. Given that it 'came good' after charging the battery (I.e the pump runs, accumulator builds pressure, no fluid loss, no ABS fault lamp), do you think the brake system was just unhappy about its power supply and can be disregarded as the root cause of the faults now?

I'll also add that I do have a copy of the 2001 Prius workshop manual (mine is 2003) and have been looking for information on the conditions that cause the red triangle and "car with exclamation" icon to appear. The PDF copy I have is hard to search though. If you have any pointers on specific sections to look at, I'd be grateful for that.

Thanks for all the assistance and pointers so far - it's very much appreciated!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In Gen 1, a lot of the ECUs still had fallback code reading abilities based on a jumper wire and counting light blinks. (Some of those were kept into later generations; as late as gen 3 at least, light blinks still work for brake codes, and I think airbags too.)

But Gen 1 had a couple of ECUs that lacked any blinky-light fallback and can only be read over the diagnostic bus: the HV ECU and the Battery ECU. (Three, if you count the steering ECU, which has a blinky-light fallback feature but no light wired to it.)

So if you're getting the car-guillotine symbol and you can't retrieve the codes responsible, chances are they'd be originating in the HV or Battery ECUs (the steering ECU would light the PS symbol on the MFD instead).

But there are hundreds of possibilities there, so it's not as if I can just say "well, if it's probably coming from one of those two ECUs, then it must be X".

Reading the codes with Techstream would help a lot.

I am not one to write things off as low-voltage artifacts much of the time (and certainly not based on a reading of 11.7 at the MFD). Certain codes won't come back after clearing until the detecting condition happens again, which could be right away or not right away. I would just continue trying to narrow down possibilities based on the information the car wants to give you.

-Chap

15. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It can be installed in Win XP and later laptops. I have mine in an old surplus XP machine--dedicated and never gets connected to the internet. Got mine for under $35 us$. It's a Dell, Dude! Anyhow, go with whatever Chap says. Torque has pretty minimal capabilities for Prius, I have it for another vehicle, but never use it on either my Prius or my Porsche.

By the way, there are two main Factory manuals, and a bunch of other accessory manuals. Bishco publishes authorized copies of the factory manuals. In the US, they are about $100 for both main manuals plus shipping from Rock Auto.com I don't know if they ship to Oz. They would be superior to scanned copies, tho.

#16 Brian in Tucson, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  17. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, so life got in the way a bit, but I eventually got it to a mechanic who was able to scan it using a more sophisticated tool.

(I looked into purchasing the Mini VCI but there is a 2 week delivery time and I was looking for a more immediate solution. Had I known that it would be this long before I got it looked at, I would have ordered one).

Here are the fault code scanned:

20180904_180446.jpg

They are:
    C0728
    C1251
    C1252
    C1253 (This one did not appear during the first scan, only on subsequent scans)
    C1256
    C1259
    C1214

I also checked the main 40A ABS relay which can be heard to click 3 times when the car starts (I took it apart and tested the contacts for continuity).

The mechanic is going to do some fault-finding, and I will hit the manuals myself later, but wondering whether anyone here has any ideas about the possible causes given this new information?

Cheers

18. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What's the name of this scantool? Can you provide a link? Want to take a look at it's features.

19. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know anything about it, it's just what the mechanic had. I just googled the name and this came up: G-Scan Product Information

20. Jeremyh

Jeremyh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bump! Anyone have any ideas on this one?

The thing that has me stumped is that the ABS system was able to work after the battery was disconnected and reconnected and the ECU faults cleared a few times. Then the DTC reappeared. I'm therefore thinking the root cause may be something 'upstream' from the ABS system itself, but (beyond checking fuses and relays etc.) I don't know what it could be or where to investigate.