1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS Light, Slip Indicator Light, Brake System Light all stuck on w/ no OBD2 codes??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sean-C, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Sean-C

Sean-C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm at the Toyota dealership now. Apparently the diagnostic will cost me $190 if the issue isn't the Brake Booster or Brake Booster related. Which kinda sucks because the lady on the phone yesterday from Toyota said that it would be a complementary Brake Booster check since my car is experiencing issues that have to do with the Brake system. Kind of a bummer and now I'm really really hoping it's the Brake Booster because if not, I'm screwed lol!

Wish me luck guys!

2. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good luck. I'll hope for the worst.

Sean-C likes this.
  3. Sean-C

Sean-C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Alright guys, the verdict is in.

Toyota said that the issues all stemmed from my Brake Booster being bad or failing. They'll replace it all for free due to the secondary coverage of Toyotas Customer Support Program ZJB! Just like you guys said! :)

Unfortunately, the parts they need have to be ordered, and they said that the shipping time is around 4 to 5 business days. So they estimated that the repair wouldn't be done until a week from now at the earliest. They also said that a rental isn't covered, or anything like that, so I'm just stuck without a vehicle and unable to work for at least a week or possibly longer.

It's bittersweet because I'm really thankful and happy that the repairs that were needed ended up being the only one that's covered by the Customer Support Program ZJB. But at the same time, I'm bummed and frustrated that it'll take at least a week or maybe longer to get it fixed, because I use my car for work and not being able to work right now is going to screw me over big time.

I'm going to ask if they'd be able to expedite the shipping or something. I'm not quite sure what else I can do in regards to that. I honestly thought that if the repair was going to take a week or more and the issue was the Brake Booster and having to do with the recall, that Toyota would cover a rental or something like that. I think i'm going to at least ask again if they can check on that, because I have to be able to work or I'm screwed.

@ChapmanF @bisco @Merkey and @rjparker , I am beyond thankful for your guys' help!

I'm really glad it ended up being the Brake Booster, given that's the only thing that would be covered to be replaced lol!
    Strangely enough, this time I was hoping for one of the worst case scenarios as far as what was wrong with my car haha! And I was simultaneously hoping for the best in regards to the repairs being covered lol. Such a crazy situation and I am extremely appreciative of everyone's help!

Merkey and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y)

Sean-C likes this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would check Turo for a low cost rental. This one is the 23rd through 28th for less than your diagnostic fee might have been. You are getting a $2500 repair with new parts installed right.

0D0A7210-51A3-4827-9536-7122465625E9.jpeg

Sean-C and Merkey like this.
  6. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you'll find, you get what you need.

Sean-C likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If not, you can blow a 50 amp fuse.

Merkey likes this.
  8. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Amazing septuagenarians they are.

9. Sean-C

Sean-C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys, I figured I'd post an update for all the awesome people that helped me in this crazy situation!

Apparently, the ETA on the Brake Booster part is unknown so the Friday estimate was just smoke they were blowing. The part is on backorder so they have no idea when they'll be able to get it shipped. So my car is with them until further notice. They're estimating anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks right now. But they honestly have no idea since they're not even sure if they'll be able to get the part.

They're still giving me a hard time about the rental and the best that the manager at the dealership would do, was put in a request that he said would take 48 to 72 hours to get processed.

I've been in contact with Toyota's Corporate brand engagement team and they've said that the reason the rental isn't normally covered, is because in the system its only a 5 to 6 hour job. But since the part is on backorder and has no ETA, the situation is different and might be the exception. They said all they needed to do was verify with the Toyota dealership, that the part was going to take a few days or more to get shipped. I've been waiting 2 days for them to verify this so I can get a rental approved and no one from anywhere will call me back.

I even tried calling other dealerships and service centers looking for the part, in hopes I'd be able to get the part shipped to the dealership my car is at, or take my car to a dealership with the part in stock. But unfortunately it's not in stock anywhere and its on backorder through Toyota so there's no eta on the shipping time.

This situation is a nightmare and the silver lining is that the repair is covered. But at what cost overall in life? lol

I would have gotten a rental on my own but I thought there was a good chance that Toyota would cover the rental due to the situation. And honestly, it costs them so little to issue a rental, so I was confident they'd do right by me and issue a rental from the dealership or something like that.

I've lost 5 days of work so far. And since I've lost so many days of work, I've been using funds from my savings to cover things that were supposed to be covered by working throughout the week, so I can't cover a rental even if I wanted to now.

I'm still waiting for a reply from Toyotas Corporate brand engagement team so, I'm praying for a decent outcome. I hope they do right by me... I think it would be one thing if my car was in the shop because of me driving it super rough or something. But the service tech verified that my Brake Booster was failing and causing a bunch of issues. My car is out of commission through no fault of my own and its there until further notice. That seems like the extreme scenario where a rental would be covered. So I'm really really hoping for the best, but i'm unfortunately expecting the worst lol.

I appreciate all the help I got from you guys in this situation. I'm confident that your guys' help diagnosing and narrowing down the issue was what gave me the knowledge to get my car covered under the customer support program, and i'm extremely thankful for that! Without your guys' help, I really think there's a good chance that I would've gotten a different diagnosis that wasn't covered and cost quite a bit since I wouldn't have known any better. Thank you again for your help guys! That's been one of the few good things about this situation!

#29 Sean-C, Jan 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  10. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It seems to me you should get a Turo rental and go to work. You are bound to make more in one day that would cover most of a week's rental. Not saying you don't push for a dealer rental; they probably don't have one or would lose money so they are hesitating. Remember these are not normal times. Even if you paid full price you would not get the brake booster parts any faster.

Even in normal times, Toyota corporate pays a reduced labor rate for the dealer labor and does not allow the normal x2 parts markup.

#30 rjparker, Jan 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Sean-C likes this.
  11. Sean-C

Sean-C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    These are trying times for everyone indeed.

I took a look on Turo and the cheapest rentals I could find were $30 a day. $23 a day would be an amazing rate and that's much more affordable, considering now it's looking like I might have to work out getting a rental for a week or two depending on when those parts are actually available. How were you able to get the rates on Turo down that low??

If the parts don't become available after a few weeks, and they're not able to do the repair for a longer amount of time, what then? Will I just be SOL and forced to be without my car for work for months? I'd hope that in situations like this, Toyota does the right thing and doesn't leave its customers hanging like this.

You guys on this forum helping me out and giving me advice is one of the few sources of my sanity in these stressful times! lol

12. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That screenshot was from Fair Oaks, Ca that day. You put in an extended period and you get a better rate.

13. Sean-C

Sean-C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone, just wanted to post an update for all the guys that helped me figure all this out.

Its now 4/4 and my cars still at the dealership. The received the wrong part on last Friday, and they were going through an ownership change over that weekend so it took a minute to send back the other wrong part and get the right one sent out.

I'm now waiting on news about the right part getting there, in which case they're saying they can then do the repair within 4 to 6 hours.

The manager I spoke to said that he was sure the part would arrive yesterday on 2/3, and it didn't arrive unfortunately. And then he was sure it would come today since it didn't yesterday and it didn't arrive again today. Now he's saying he's confident it'll come tomorrow and he'll hopefully have the repair done by tomorrow evening but, I'm not super hopeful unfortunately.

Toyota Corporate said the most they would be willing to do was reimburse for a rental so I went with getting a rental. But I've paid out of pocket as much as I can and I had to return the rental today so I'm really hoping my car gets fixed this weekend.

This has been a crazy and stressful ordeal and I can't say I'm happy with the way the Toyota dealership has handled the situation, nor how Toyotas Corporate office handled the situation. But I'm hoping the part arrives sometime soon and hopefully the repair can be done within a reasonable time frame from now lol.

That's all I have for now, but I'll let you guys know when I finally get the car back lol!

ASRDogman likes this.
  14. KBee

KBee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Sean

I’d like to know the outcome of your situation. I too am having the same problem with my ABS light, Brake light, and Slip Control coming on while driving through a parking lot but I have a Gen III 2010 Prius.

I’m guessing that my year is no longer covered by Toyota’s Customer Support Program ZJB. I don’t recall ever getting a notice in the mail for this. However I did receive a recall notice in the last month for a software update and a possible inverter repair/replacement. I’m wondering if these recent recall has anything to do with the lights coming on...

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi @KBee,

Do you have your trouble codes yet? If not, no one here can say whether you are having the same problem or not, or what problem you are having, unless you can post those codes.

If you do not have a scan tool that will show you the brake system codes, you can get them by using a short piece of wire between the Tc and CG terminals at the car's diagnostic port, then counting blinks of the dash lights. A bit of searching for those terms will find you lots of posts in this forum with the details.

16. KBee

KBee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Thanks ChapmanF. Only two trouble codes came up C1391 and U0155. I’ll do a search like you suggested. I hope it’s related to the latest recall!

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your C1391 is a common issue, and means that the brake fluid pressure isn't being held adequately between runs of the pump (or isn't rising as it should when the pump runs). Customer Support Program ZJB covers that issue at no charge when it applies, but if your car is a 2010 that program no longer applies (unless you are under 150,000 miles and the car was somehow not put into use until less than ten years ago).

So without the ZJB coverage, it's a matter of finding out which of the two assemblies has the leak, and replacing that, or just punting that question and replacing both.

[​IMG]

You are probably noticing the rattlesnakey sound of the brake pump running rather often. Depending on how often it runs, you might be easily able to touch those two units with a mechanics' stethoscope and hear which one is hissing from the pressure leak in between pump runs. The more often the pump runs, the bigger the leak you've got, and the bigger the leak, the louder the hiss.

Your U0155 is a different issue, a communication error on one of the car's networks. Something in the car isn't able to communicate with the combination meter in the dash.

What did you use to read the codes? Something like Techstream will show the codes grouped by which ECU in the car reported them. That matters for communication codes like U0155, because beyond knowing that something in the car couldn't talk to the combination meter, to solve the problem you'd want to know what in the car couldn't talk to the combination meter. The four things in the car that can report U0155 are the power management control ECU, the body ECU, the certification ECU (has to do with the smart key system), and the air conditioning "amplifier" (cute old historical name, it's just another ECU).

18. Ndave

Ndave New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    99% sure when all 4 lights are on (not check engine) that it's the brake booster pump & master cylinder, which is covered by customer courtesy Toyota to 150k or 10 years,v whichever comes first, so please hurry to the dealership to get this repaired at no charge.
    My Regen braking isn't working, traction light, brake light, tire pressure, & other light on, but brakes work with more force than normal.
    Please don't wait as this could be a very expensive repair after 10yr/150k. Very likely NOT anything w the wheels, as that's just a light that goes on as well w this repair needed.
    No diagnostic fee or charge when repaired at dealership w this problem.

19. Glenninmb

Glenninmb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So when you say accumulator is that the double cylinder located under the actuator/ brake booster. My problem is every time i push on the pedal you can hear the brake double cylinders turn on. Even if you push and release and push again. my skid abs and red brake warning light is on. 2012 prius v with 775,000 kms.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, the accumulator assembly is the two-cylindered lower thing. (One of those cylinders is the accumulator itself; Toyota only sells the whole assembly. The other cylinder is a pump; it's what makes the noise.)

Do you notice the pump running repeatedly when you're not pressing the brake at all?

Or only that you can make it run by pressing the brake?

If it is only when you press the brake, it may be worth a try to obtain some new brake fluid and go through the long bleed procedure. (The ECU offers two bleed procedures, a short one when the bleeding is only for brake lines out to the wheels, a longer one for when bubbles might be present in the actuator or accumulator.)

Sometimes the accumulator, which is pressurized with nitrogen gas, can begin to leak some of that gas from the dry side into the fluid side. That makes the pump run more frequently for two reasons: (1) less nitrogen on the right side; (2) nitrogen bubbles on the wrong side.

The bleed procedure won't fix the leak or make up for nitrogen loss on the right side, but it will at least get rid of the bubbles on the wrong side, and that can improve matters for a while. An accumulator replacement is the ultimate fix if that's what's going on.

If the pump cycles even when you're not pressing the brake, that suggests an internal brake fluid leak, which could be in either of the two assemblies. The top one, the master cylinder/booster/actuator, is the one with more bits inside to go leaky.

As you have warning lights on the dash, you have trouble codes, which would be worthwhile to get, just so we have the whole pictutre. You can get those with a Tc to CG jumper wire and counting light blinks, if you don't have a scan tool to use. Many threads exist here explaining that.