1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS Loud Clicking Sound

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RedUgPri, Nov 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RedUgPri

RedUgPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone this is my first post on here. I've browsed through numerous threads and have read lots of good information here in the past so I figured I might as well sign up :)

My car is an '05 and currently has 191k miles :cool:

Before I get into my problem I want to fill you guys in on todays events. It all started when I ran out of gas about 3 miles from the gas station I was on my way too. I don't know the distance exactly and I'm not sure when the car ran out of gas. After coming out of a sharp corner I immediately noticed the car would not accelerate past 55 MPH. I stayed at this speed for about 1/2 miles while I determined that the car was out of gas. I continued to drive at a slower speed in hopes of making to the gas station. I was so close when the battery dropped down into the red, I immediately slowed down and got on the side of the road. After getting on the shoulder the car beeped, MDF displayed problem, and red triangle of death appeared. I shut off the car and called for help. When my help arrived we put about 4 gallons in the tanks and she started right up. No lights on at all to my surprise. Continued on my way without any problems.

Fast forward to tonight: While driving home the ABS, (!), and Brake lights illuminated shortly after turning on my road. Approaching my house I noticed the brakes to be spongy. I stop in front of my driveway, I decided to test out the breaks instead of pulling in so I step on it then slam on the breaks. I'm about 500 feet from my driveway at this point when I put in reverse and back down the road into my driveway at around 10 MPH. Entering the drive I noticed the lights suddenly turn off. Some more back and forth break tests and back on. At this point I grab my OBDII scanner and see if we get any codes. No codes related to the ABS or break system, I did however have a couple Toyota codes related to running out of gas. I have access to an Autel scan tool with dealer level service capabilities but not until tomorrow night.

The ABS pump has a noticeable ticking/clicking sounds every time the breaks are pushed. Before I go out and buy a new one I figured I would get some input. Has anyone had this exact problem? What did you do to fix it?

Sorry my post is so long

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First and foremost, you were lucky, the car fired up, despite you exhausted the battery on the EV mode.

Definitely all the lights would come up, because they are all related and powered by the HV battery.

Hiw is the engine revving like now? Is it that high, signifying that the ICE is still charging the HV battery?

Use your scan tool to clear the codes. Oooooh! You already said there wasn't any codes.

If your scanner has the capability to access the HV battery, go through the SOC of the battery, and also read the block voltages to see what's happening.

The noise you heard from the brakes might be related to the ABS systems reactions against the excess pressure you applied at the brake pedal when you were testing it.

In my view, that's how it should react to a hard brake application.

If the noise still persists, then you might have a problem with your ABS pump, or check if the fluid(brake) is properly guaged.

Dxta

3. RedUgPri

RedUgPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The engine revs just like it always has and the HV battery charged up in no time at all. I was even able to drive in EV mode through the town where the gas station was located. This was less that a mile away from where I ran out of gas! After leaving town and cruising at highway speeds for another few minutes the battery was almost full. Coasting up to the first stop sign I was able to get it up in the green. HV stayed in green for 95% of the remaining trip only dropping into blue while climbing a steep hill. Descending the hill put it back in the green and it stayed there until I arrived at my destination. This is completely normal and I always arrive at this particular destination with the HV battery in green only missing one bar from the top.

Unfortunately it cannot but my friends scan tool will. I'm not really concerned about the HV battery as it appears to be operating normal.

The ABS system did not appear to be functioning when I was doing the majority of the break test. Normally pushing on the breaks with more that a feathers worth of force will result in enough breaking force to throw you through the windshield. The clicking sound was observed while stopped or at very low speed while depressing the brake. I did take a video but I haven't reviewed it yet to see if the sound is audible. I will check the break fluid as I haven't done so yet. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the breaks being properly gauged? Thank you for the input :)

4. RedUgPri

RedUgPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is the video:

The lights are not on at this point and the ABS system is attempting to work.

I haven't attempted to check the break fluid yet. Its currently pouring outside and the garage is a little to cluttered.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Despite the warning lights being off, there are stored DTCs that your OBD2 reader can not read. If you plan to DIY, get mini VCI w/ Techstream from Amazon ($30-$40); spare Windows w/ 32bit OS (XP/7) is ideal for installation.

Hopefully your friend's Autel reader will be able to read the Prius codes.

It might also be a horrible coincidence. A braking component (perhaps the modulator) broke just after you ran out of gas, and was going to die on you, even if you did not run out of gas.

Report the DTCs though.

6. RedUgPri

RedUgPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've actually been looking into getting one of these. I've got a bunch of old laptops and a copy of pretty much every version of Windows there is ;)

For the price of it, it better! He spent upwards of $3,500 on this scanner :eek:

Will do

7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I meant to say, the brake fluid being properly gauged to the full mark

8. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What dobyou mean by "its currently pouring at the garage"? Are you referring to the brake fluid spilling out on the garage floor, or what?
    Meanwhile, on the video, there wasn't noise heard. Maybe you'd need a better video to simulate the noise.

kenoarto likes this.
  9. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You don't need to spend that much as your friend does.
    Just get a tech stream, off eBay for some fee $, and you're done.

There must be some codes logged on the computer

10. RedUgPri

RedUgPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, it was raining pretty hard and I don't have enough room to pull the car in the garage.

In the video the noise is most noticable at the 45 second mark. It can also be heard around the 20-22 second mark just not a pronounced.

11. RedUgPri

RedUgPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh I got you now, I will give it a check soon and let you guys know where the levels at.

12. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First thing to do is check the brake fluid under the hood. I had that problem intermittently on my 09 prius in the winter. Ended up being the brake fluid was "almost" underfilled because of worn brake pads. When brake pads wear the caliper piston extends more requiring more brake fluid. Only fill to about 3/4 full as if or when you ever change the pads the caliper piston will be compressed and brake fluid will be pushed back into the reservoir.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did not hear anything alarming. It is 100% normal to hear a hydraulic pump motor running as the brake motor builds pressure in the system, typically a few seconds.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It doesn't make any sense to ask such a question in a post that doesn't include any diagnostic codes. You've described some dash lights and a few symptoms. It's as if you were to post that you felt some chills and abdominal pain, and based on that, asked if anyone has had the same exact illness and what the treatment was.

It'll be easier when there are codes.

When checking the brake fluid level, there are a couple things to keep in mind. As already mentioned, the level naturally drops slowly over time as the pads wear, so you should not expect it at the 'max' line unless the pads are quite new. The other thing that's often forgotten is that, normally, a good bit of the brake fluid has been pumped into the pressure accumulator, and the level will look low because of that. The "zero down" procedure releases that fluid back to the reservoir, when you want to reliably compare your level to the fill line. The next time the pump runs and re-pressurizes the accumulator, you can watch the reservoir level drop a bit. That's normal.

In a Gen 1 or Gen 3, you can do a "zero down" without Techstream, just by pumping the brake about 30 times with the car off (you can tell when you've pumped enough because the pedal will get rock hard all of a sudden). I don't believe that works on Gen 2 because that has a different master cylinder design. I don't have Gen 2's manual in front of me, but of course it will explain how to do the check.

-Chap

15. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can always pump down the accumulator(s) by unplugging the 12v and opening the HV safety before pumping the pedal a few dozen times ;)

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you saying that also works for Gen 2, whose master cylinder omits the hydraulic boost chamber used in Gen 1 and Gen 3?

I see your profile says you have a Gen 2, so if you say it works, I guess it works, but the explanation ought to be interesting.

It's clear from the diagram that when a Gen 2 brake system is truly in system-off or failsafe mode, the master cylinder will act on both front calipers directly, the rear drums are unused, and fluid in the accumulator has nowhere to go.

On the other hand, while you mention unplugging the 12 V and opening the HV safety (overkill for this purpose), you don't mention disconnecting the brake backup power capacitors, which do slowly discharge when the car is off, but perhaps they hold up long enough to power the solenoid valves during your few dozen brake strokes.

That could offer the amusingly ironic explanation that, despite the most concerted effort to remove power from both batteries, the reason the pump-pedal-to-zero-down worked was that the brake system still wasn't actually in system-off/failsafe mode, but was still awake, powered by the backup capacitors, watching you stroke the pedal, and working the pressure-apply and pressure-reduce solenoids for you! :)

-Chap

failsafe-i.png

17. RedUgPri

RedUgPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry took me so long to get back but I wasn't able to access the forums at all yesterday. It must have been down for a while but I see everything appears to be working for now anyways.

The noise the brake pump was making was not normal, Ive never heard it make such a pronounced clicking sound ever. Actually I've never heard it make a clicking sound at all before. Its normal sounds is more like a light hum when the breaks are applied and most noticeable when you but your foot on the brake before starting the car.

I never made it to my friends house but I did find a possible cause. The 12v battery! Voltage is dropping extremely low and I even witnessed it go down to 8.9v while the car started up. There was a pretty big load on the system at the time but I really have no idea how it managed to start with voltage dropping that low. Break fluid isn't down very far, maybe a quarter of an inch from the full line. I'm starting to thinks its being caused by low voltage. I have the exact moment the lights first came on on video but whats strange is it happened when the car went into EV mode not while using the brakes. So does anyone know if the charging voltage/amperage from the DC to DC converter is lowered when the car is running in pure EV mode?

My scan tool can read Toyota codes and did display the proper codes after I ran out of gas. I can also go in an view the dealer level codes but thats it, no way to clear them. Nothing new has showing up in that list since I bought the car. It seems to just be a history of all the codes that the car has ever thrown which is only 9. Surprisingly the codes related to running out of gas didn't get stored in that list but I was able bring them up on the main screen.

I also made a video for YouTube today about checking the 12v battery. With all the technical difficulties and sounds anomalies it didn't come out as planned but I put it up anyways.

If anyone want to check it out here it is:

18. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you ever check the brake fluid? Just curious.

Edit: Should have read your post fully. Brake fluid is within norm. Good to know.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#18 TheLastMojojomo, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  19. RedUgPri

RedUgPri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was able to reproduce the ABS failure four times last night driving in EV mode. My theory on the reduced amperage in EV/Glide modes seems to be true but unconfirmed.

My 12v battery obviously needs replacement. So far it hasn't prevented the car from starting without being run down first. I drive it so much that the battery doesn't ever get a chance to loose its charge but cold weather will be the death of it.

The cost of the batteries recommend here and other places is really whats prevented me from replacing it. I would love one of those Optima yellow tops but at over $200 I cant justify the cost. I'm considering a deep cycle marine battery as a cost effective alternative. I can pick up an 800CCA@0°F deep cycle marine battery with the correct size posts for around $100. Anyone have any input on this or recommendations on batteries in the $100 +/- range?

Edit:
    Here is the video of the first occurrence, I was able to reproduce the failure four more times. Hard acceleration after the failure will increase the systems voltage enough to remedy the situation.

#19 RedUgPri, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    TheLastMojojomo likes this.
  20. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    CCA is utterly meaningless on a Prius, you care about RC (Reserve Capacity), being spill-proof and externally vented.