1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS Module part number?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SB6, Jul 29, 2019.

1. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know what the part number is for the "ABS module"? My traction control, ABS, and 2 brake lights turned on, as well as loss of regenerative braking. Code C1345 Linear Solenoid Valve Offset Learning Undone. Learning procedure fails. Went to the dealership, they said I'm not covered under the brake booster customer support program. 2 local mechanics said I need to replace the ABS module, another said master cylinder. I'm looking for the ABS module online, but not sure what the part number is

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Gen 3 ABS ECU is-integrated-with the brake actuator is-integrated-with the master cylinder, so pretty much all your answers were right. Try 47050-47140.

If I remember right, these used to be quite a bit saltier. Maybe I'm imagining it.

SB6 likes this.
  3. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :LOL: What?

Okay, I'm confused. When I look up 47050-47140 on eBay, the results are all nearly $600. However, when I lookup "2010 Prius brake booster" or "2010 Prius master cylinder" etc, I see similar looking parts from around $150 (used), but with different part numbers. For example, there's this listing for $160, but the part number is 47210-47140. What's the difference between these?

#3 SB6, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pretzels?

5. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, but a pretzel shape could definitely be used to describe my confusion :LOL:

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not either :whistle:

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, so it's like this. There was an old unit, catalog number 47050-47060. Toyota doesn't sell that one anymore. It's been superseded by 47050-47140.

mark.png

The old part, with the catalog number 47050-47060, also had a "mark", 47210-47140 (see the bottom of that pasted image). I've never completely understood why car parts often have a number marked on the part that looks just like a catalog number but is different. I first ran into that with Ford. Walk in with a piece in my hand and say "see, this number right here" and the poor guy at the counter would have to try to look it up 'cause that wasn't the part number.

Unsurprisingly, when recyclers pull used parts out of cars and list them on the web, they will often be reading the "mark" off the part, instead of finding the right part number.

The newer, superseding part, 47050-47140, also has a "mark", 47210-47310.

I was surprised to see Toyota listing the thing for $710 dealer suggested list, because it wasn't long ago PriusChat was filled with posts about how it was $1600–$1700, or $2500, or $3500 Canadian.

I notice lots of internet sellers throw the word "pump" into the description of this part. Don't be fooled; in Gen 3, the pump and accumulator are in a separate assembly, not part of this one.

Robert Holt and SB6 like this.
  8. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Toyota’s production and service part numbers use the same format, so I expect it’s a production part number for one of the components of the assembly, or for the assembly without the ECU firmware.

I agree with Frank Watts, author of Engineering Documentation Control Handbook (see “Item Marking,” 4th ed., p. 69): marking any number on parts is wasteful and leads to just this kind of confusion.

9. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you! That makes a lot more sense. Would I be okay using the old part (47050-47060), or would I be worse off for it?

Also, if I use the old one and it fails on me, like the ones being replaced under customer support program ZJB, will Toyota cover it? Is that how it works? Or will they refuse due to it not being the original part on my car, or due to the previous replacement being done at a non-dealership shop?

One more thing. Since I've only been told to replace the ABS module/master cylinder, can I just replace the 47050-47140 part, or do I need to replace the pump assembly as well?

#9 SB6, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hard to say. I would assume they updated the part for a reason, but I have no inside information.

I'm thinking that might be regarded as a stretch....

They're both somewhat expensive and somewhat exhausting to replace, so any time I could find a way to pinpoint which one was the source of a problem I was having, I would probably not rush to change the other one just because.

Depends, of course, on how confident you are in the pinpointing.

SB6 likes this.
  11. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So... I have been thinking about whether I should get the newer version or stick with the older version, and apparently I've reached a compromise :LOL:. I ordered a part listed as 47210-47310 for $200. So if it's correct, that's the "mark" number for the newer part, and so I'll get the newer part. If not, then... :shrug:

Thanks for all the help, ChapmanF!

Now hopefully the repair goes smoothly...

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looking at how the price has come down, I'm seriously thinking that if I ever turn out to need one, I might just buy new, and avoid wondering about whether a used one has an exciting past, or about what kind of trained primate performed its removal from the donor car. (Toyota has TSBs giving very stringent handling instructions, including no cloth/fabric gloves or rags, anything that could shed tiny textile fibers that could get into the valves. As far as salvage-yard disassembly operations following those instructions, I have a level of confidence somewhere near zero.)

PriFi and Robert Holt like this.
  13. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While I completely agree with you, I'm just not really financially established yet. So although I could've afforded a brand new part, I need to save where I can. The part I bought was listed as being in "excellent" condition and also has a 90 warranty, so here's hoping...

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I understand.

Under the circumstances, the best you can do is to make sure you follow the handling instructions as carefully as possible while unpacking and installing it.

15. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was actually planning on having it installed by a local shop. I haven't yet looked up the process for doing it myself, but is it something a layman can do on their own? All I've ever done is stuff like oil change, changing a tire, wiper blades, headlights, and replacing small interior things

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Compared to those things it's considerably more of a job, and with safety implications. Going to a shop is probably the right call, if you trust the shop.

17. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I got the repair done yesterday, and drove about 400 miles between cities today. About 300 miles in, my brake warning light started flashing and then a while later turned solid, and I would occasionally catch a whiff of a burning smell.

Pulled over and checked around the car. Everything seemed okay under the hood, although I saw some drops of liquid splattered around the passenger side. I checked my tires, and noticed this thing hanging. It was occasionally touching the tire and causing the burning smell. I decided to pull it out. Got back in the car and the light went away after a while, but then came back later on. Flashed again for a while, then went solid again. Currently in another city. Anyone know what this means?

#17 SB6, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The thing looks like some bit of the plastic under covers; you'll probably be able to figure out which bit at your leisure by looking at the parts diagrams, or at the other side of the car for comparison.

Of more concern is the dash light. What are the trouble codes?

19. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The dash light was actually the TPMS light, not the brake system light. I wasn't able to get it scanned while it was on, and I haven't seen it back on in the past couple weeks. I'm not too sure what it was, but hopefully I'll be alright now

20. dulguun gereltuya

dulguun gereltuya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    HEY MAN HOW DID IT GO DID YOU INSTALL IT BY YOURSELF? DOES IT NEED REPROGRAMMING AFTERWARDS? I NEED HELP I BUYING USED PART WHAT WAS THE PART NUMBER U BOUGHT AND WHAT WAS YOUR OWN PART NUMBER