1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS problems after brake change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by XanMat, May 17, 2023.

1. XanMat

XanMat New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’ve searched far and wide, searching for an answer to this problem. Last year I replaced the brake shoes, springs, and auto adjusters for the rear brakes and while testing the brakes everything was working fine. The car was coming to a complete stop without any trouble on the brake pedal, the ABS, VSC, ((!)), and BRAKE lights came on with the code for hydraulic system malfunction on RL, and then after clearing it the brakes will work fine for a while but then it will pop the code for the other side of the car, RR, and repeat this process.

We took it to Midas afterward for a brake inspection + bleed and their tech put it into maintenance mode and drove it around for a little bit with no success. Their scan tool was unable to bleed the ABS pump, so that’s where they thought the problem was.

Everything was working fine, the car slowed all the way to a stop without any noticeable issues. It was just that my dashboard was a Christmas tree.

Last week we replaced the rotors, calipers, and pads for the front (and bled the front calipers) after the driver-side brake had the metal backing come off and the pad get stuck between the rotor and the bracket, and I noticed that the new driver-side caliper was hanging up a little bit on Monday because it "smelt toasty" (very technical term here).

So I took it to Midas for the comprehensive brake inspection and brake bleed, upon bleeding the passenger side rear wheel cylinder they tightened the bleeder screw down all the way, and still kept going, so they went ahead and swapped both cylinders.

So as of this point, the repairs are:
    Last year: Rear shoes, springs, the little rubber gaskety parts on the back of the drum, and auto-adjusters.
    This year: Front rotors, calipers, pads, and rear cylinders.

Yesterday, they got back to me and said that they didn’t even make it out of the parking lot before "the thing" happened. Not sure if it's the ABS VSC ((!)) BRAKE lights coming back for the rear brakes, or if the brakes decided to stop working on them.

Today they called and said that the car's front driver-side brake was still hanging up, so the phone person said it might be something with the abs module.

Does anyone have any advice on what should happen next or if the issue lies elsewhere?

If it’s relevant, the first letter of the VIN is J and we replaced the rear shoes with the version that had the note for the vehicles that start the VIN with J.

I saw a post where someone said something about a variable speed sensor that might be tripping on the passenger side, causing the driver-side brake to activate to match the speed (and fail at doing so) and tripping the abs lights, and holding up the caliper. I'm not sure if this is what the solution is, so some help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    -XanMat
    '09 Prius (300k+ miles)

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Do you have any obd2 codes that you can post?

Which part of WA are you near, and another member may be able to assist.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sounds like you're accumulator pump assemblies going wacky That's the whole shebang on this car for the most part at the very end mine was having lots of trouble and only operating one front wheel. Soon as the module was changed all the problems went away and I did not bleed with the computer.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If I work on a car where a brake is dragging, raise and support the vehicle. Open the bleeder screw on the dragging brake. If fluid comes out and the wheel releases, it's a hydraulic problem upstream. Pump up the brakes and repeat the process, but loosen the brake line at the body end of the brake hose.

If it doesn't release this time, then the hose is bad- replace both front hoses. I have never seen any ABS unit cause a dragging brake.

If opening the bleeder does not release the wheel, then you have a mechanical problem with the caliper (or pads stuck in the bracket).

Occasionally I have seen a rebuilt caliper that has way too much grease in the slide pin bores. This can expand with heat and cause the outer pad to drag.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. XanMat

XanMat New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, didn't get any notifications that this was officially up yet. So, Midas did their thing and they've diagnosed it down to the ABS control unit. However, nothing seems to be sticking or dragging anymore. While at O'Reilly earlier, I checked my codes, but the scan tool could no longer find the ABS module.

While at Midas, I was watching them work on the car and the tech said that the abs relay is getting HOT while running. It seemed the hanging caliper problem was connected to a faulty speed sensor on the driver-side drum, as it stopped hanging after we replaced the hub assembly (bearing, sensor, etc.) and the hydraulic malfunction codes C1343 and C1344. A tech on Reddit suggested that the accumulator/actuator could be going wacky and a fellow driver said that their car also has these problems and theirs was diagnosed down to the "rentative braking system"

I'll attach the pages of work that Midas sent me, the misfires were because the car was low on oil (needs new sparks as well), and we all know about the combo meter problems.

6. XanMat

XanMat New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Below is the workup for DTC C1343 (and C1344), notice how DTC (C1343) has five INFs; aka subcodes (571, 572, 573, 574, 575) in the workup, knowing the subcode(s) may make it easier to diagnose the problem, and potentially save money/parts/labor. Same for DTC C1344.

https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/Repair%20Manual/04pruisr/05/21avn/cic13416.pdf

Not sure if this thread is helpful : ABS, VSC, BRAKE - DTC1343_571 | PriusChat

8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ummm. Having the oil level get really low can cause the engine bearings to fail.

Having the oil level get really low will NOT cause misfire codes.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.