1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS sensor damaged by loose deflector

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by XythAdar, Dec 17, 2022.

1. XythAdar

XythAdar New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all!

So I took on my front passenger side wheel bearing hub replacement and found out the previous shop didn't replace the inner deflector (43246-47010) which was very difficult to find a replacement for.

Well, once I finally get everything apart (always seized in there) and back together, I take it for a test drive and find the ABS VSC lights on. Get back in, take off wheel, find out the abs sensor nut was shorn off. Pop it out and see that the deflector must have been spinning with the cv axle and ground down the tip of the abs sensor... now how do I get the deflector to stay in place? It feels like it doesn't want to stick. Do I need to replace the knuckle to get a tighter fit after last shop's likely abuse in bearing removal?

Thanks in advance!

2. XythAdar

XythAdar New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The deflector had misformed on the friction fit and needed to be bent back into shape and refitted. I got that back in after drilling and tapping a new hole for ABS sensor bolt. I left the old ABS sensor with damaged tip to confirm the deflector won't spin and shear off the tip of the new ABS sensor.

So far, so good. Car needs the usual alignment after slide hammering out the old bearing for hours. I have a little bit of rhythmic wheel noise that could be from alignment? And I can feel the braking switch to regenerative when I get below 10mph but maybe that's from the damaged ABS sensor causing a misread of the wheel speed.

Any thoughts, let me know.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and well done, i hope it works out!

4. XythAdar

XythAdar New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update, I've got alignment done which has helped some and then installed the new ABS sensor. The wheel drumming has essentially ceased but now the ABS/VSC and (!) lights are back on. I'm guessing the aftermarket (Ultra-Power 5S6813) ABS sensor isn't communicating in the same way as the original on the other side.

tl;dr: Does anyone have a suggestion for an ABS sensor that doesn't light up the dash codes?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can you tell us what trouble code(s) you have? Might get on the wrong track assuming it's what it was before.

Even without a scan tool, you can get those brake system codes using the no-tool method Mr. F described well in this post (and there are also many other posts about it one can find in a search).

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been meaning to create a Prius Wiki page on this subject for quite some time. I have copied that post into the Prius Wiki so that it can be more easily found and can be a place where new posters can be directed rather than regurgitating the same information repeatedly in a myriad of posts.

Link: Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

Please feel free to embellish or correct as required.

Enjoy.

#6 dolj, Jan 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  7. XythAdar

XythAdar New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I'll take a look tomorrow and get back to you. I do have an OBDII or something bluetooth scanner i could check it with too.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    #8 ChapmanF, Jan 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  9. XythAdar

XythAdar New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just scanned for codes and it came up empty. The (!), ABS and VSC lights are still on though. I use InCarDoc Pro as my phone app for the bluetooth OBDII reader.

10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    InCarDoc is an app that only communicates with the engine control module using "generic OBD2" protocols.

It can't talk to any other ecu on a Gen2.

Here's a thread that reviews several scantool apps and devices. Some can scan all systems on a Gen2 Prius.
    https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/3290690

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  12. XythAdar

XythAdar New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Alright, my code reader won't work, so I did the jumper method. Here's what I got for blink codes but I couldn't find access to a repair manual.

(!) 36, 41
    ABS 31, 35, 42
    VSC 43, 45
    (~!~) (the tire monitor) 24

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    36 and 41 on the ((!)) light, 42 on the ABS light, and 43 and 45 on the VSC light, are all described on this wiki page:

Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

So that leaves the 31 and 35 on the ABS light to look up. They both have to do with the signal from the front right wheel speed sensor. C0200/31 means something is weird about the signal from that sensor, and C1235/35 suggests the something might be a foreign object stuck on the tip of the sensor.

This is an example of where a proper scan tool can still be better than the blink codes, because C0200 can come with 11 different INF codes that a good scan tool would show you, giving more information on just what's weird about the signal.

C1241/41, while briefly described on the wiki page, has eight pages of troubleshooting steps in the manual. It also has four different possible INF codes. The Gen 2 brake ECU is interesting because it's essentially two distinct systems for redundancy, with their own power connections, and they watch each other; the INF codes for C1241 can tell you whether it's System 1 or System 2 whose power supply is in question.

This wiki page describes a bunch of alternative ways of getting access to the repair manual info:

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

Tire monitor C2124 means the system isn't picking up signal from the transmitter whose ID is registered as ID4 in the system. Unhelpfully, that information won't get you directly to which tire has the dead sensor in it. A scan tool could show you the transmitter ID that's saved as ID4, and then if anyone had ever made note of which IDs were in which tires, and kept track of that through all tire rotations, then you'd know. With a scan tool, it would probably be even faster just to go letting some air out of tires one by one, and see which one doesn't cause a displayed reading to change.

But fastest of all would be to visit a tire place that can wave their want over all four tires and say "yup, that one."

14. XythAdar

XythAdar New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the codes description. I found the repair manual post on the blink code link but it looks like the free access for repair manual is just in some libraries. The other free info links didn't include repair manual information. I did find another resource that had a few general dtc descriptions which correspond to yours well. It looks like the codes I'm concerned with are all pointing to the front right ABS sensor (kinda knew that already since it doesn't display lights when I reinstall the original sensor that's damaged).

Do I run the calibration procedure for it or do I upgrade the replacement sensor to spec'd OEM. I could also shave down the original ABS sensor plastic housing to match the amount of metal shaved from the tip of the sensor to improve it's function.

Thanks again!

15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes being a cheapskate causes more trouble than it's worth.

If you have a damaged sensor, just go and get a replacement.

16. XythAdar

XythAdar New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, the boat I'm in is, I bought a replacement but it apparently isn't communicating well with the existing system. I'm now not sure which brands work, if someone knows what brands I can trust, that'd be great.

Ultra-power is the failed choice. I've found Holstein, Vemo, and Beck/Arnley.

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just get an OEM from a discount online dealer like Olathe Toyota or Camelback Toyota. There are others so shop around for the best price.

You can start on Toyota Parts Center Online

ABS Wheel Speed Sensor (Right, Front)
    Part Number: 8954247020 MSRP $320.22. You will find it cheaper than that by shopping at a discount dealer site.

#17 dolj, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A thought that applies as well to looking for information as it does to looking for parts.

19. XythAdar

XythAdar New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota installed ABS sensor, but still have the same dash lights. They think the new wheel bearing is bad and needs to be replaced (after under 1000miles). Could the culprit actually be wear in the slot the hub fits into the spindle? I know the hub is bolted on in 4 places but how tight does the fit into the spindle need to be? The previous shop dinged up the spindle pretty good changing the hub 2 years ago.

My other thought is a few ribs are chipped on the cv axle that the abs sensor is reading could cause poor signal.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That only means those lights are on. What are the trouble codes now?