1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS Sensor Replacement (Was rubbing against front right tire)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by HondaTheNextOne, Aug 26, 2016.

1. HondaTheNextOne

HondaTheNextOne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So has anyone ever replaced one of these sensors?

From the threads I have been reading, I havent seen where one of these was actually replaced (but I'll keep checking).

About 2 months ago I got all 4 tires replaced at Discount Tire, and a few days later I hit a bump and my ABS sensor light came on. Parked at work and when I left that day it went away, but after that if I hit any kind of bump, especially like a pothole with the front right tire, it would trigger the light again -- but would go off after turning off the engine and driving for a few seconds.

DT said I needed a front end alignment, so I took it to a shop that checked and said my alignment was perfect, and oh by the way your ABS sensor is going out. I told them I would take it back to DT to double check the wheel, which all 4 wheels were good, 4 tires of course are good (Michelin's), and I told them about the ABS sensor. They said they dont do those, and I told them I didnt have a problem with it until they changed the tires.

Long story short, after driving away that day I didnt see the ABS light again for over a month until a few days ago it returned but this time would not go away. I looked under there and the whole wire was laying on the tire, and part of it was stripped down very badly. I wrapped it with electrical tape, but that made no difference.

So I have priced these out and see everything from $50 to $200+ just for the part.I would prefer to have a dealer or reputable shop swap this out, but if they are going to up charge me I would rather just buy it myself and at least save a little dough. I actually need to take it in for a recall, so I was thinking of buying the part and having the dealer do it all but hopefully you guys have some advice first.

I appreciate any advice you can give. This is for a 2013 Prius III

2. HondaTheNextOne

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also, does this sound like maybe this vehicle was wrecked or had front end damage previously?

I've had this car for over a year and a half with no problems, and though my overall MPG has gone from 54 to 50, I think it is fine. I did think replacing the tires would help with the MPG but I don't drive it light like I used to so thats probably why.

But if anyone has any kind of input on this or any other ABS sensor, I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance

3. HondaTheNextOne

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Im thinking I either have quite the odd issue on my hands, or this just doesnt happen much?

My primary question [despite my yammering on above :) ], is how much is it to replace an ABS sensor on a 2013 Gen 3 Prius?

Thank you

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do not know the price but it is very simple to replace one of the ABS pickup sensor so it should not be much.

I have not heard of one failing in normal operation.

HondaTheNextOne likes this.
  5. HondaTheNextOne

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you.

I feel there is no way Discount Tire messed up or messed with the ABS wire, but it is awful curious that the issue didnt come up until they changed the tire.

I'll probably just get the dealer to look at this once I can finally find the time.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  6. DRI76

DRI76 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I am having a similar problem with the sensor how did you solve the problem?