1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS Traction Control ((!)) - on off randomly

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by nukem, Jan 21, 2018.

1. nukem

nukem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi all.
    This one has me scratching my head. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to debug.
    Situation:
    2010 Prius 161000 km

Last summer the Traction Control, ABS and ((!)) lights went on one day. 5 min. later it went out. A few days later the same thing happened again. Since the lights didn't stay on, I didn't take it to the dealer. The brakes worked but were a bit harder to press. It was like the power brake assist went off.

It didn't come back until yesterday (~ 6 months).
    Yesterday while driving on a wet highway (no rain, road just wet enough to get some spray from the car in front) and the lights went on again. I got off the highway and noticed again that the brakes work but are hard to press. Looking to find a gas station to check it out, I drove a couple of stop lights and the lights went out.

Today I took the car to the car wash and after the wash after driving about a half mile, the lights went on again. Again, the brakes work but are harder to push. Pulled into a parking lot, plugged in the scanner and got no codes. Pumped the brakes a few times, started on my way back home (really close) and before I got out of the parking lot, the lights went out again.

I've spent a few hours reading the forums so I know I'll need to figure out the jumper thing but am confused about which of the terminals need to be jumped. I've seen 4 and 12 / 13?? And besides, the warning lights are off again so not sure I'll get any codes.

The car was in an accident (tapped on the back end) a number of years back but don't think that would be related. Last Toyota service was in Nov. and they did a brake service and everything was OK.

What else should I be checking to figure out what's going on?

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the pedal application is getting or always hard, this tells me the ABS braking system isn't activating somehow?

Have the car scanned with a hybrid capable one. Would definitely get a brake system related code logged in the computer

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Annd that, right there, is why I always like to point people straight at the repair manual on techinfo.toyota.com rather than trying to glean everything from forum searches (even though a lot of good information is here).

I'd rather have you look in the manual than take even my word for it, but if you insist on taking my word for it, look for pins 4 and 13. You can even search specifically for posts with images that mention the terminal names Tc and CG; you'll find some nice drawings that way that show the DLC connector with the right pins called out. (Be sure to double-check whether the drawing is showing you the car-end or cable-end DLC connector so you know if you're seeing the pin positions in a mirror view.)

-Chap

4. nukem

nukem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks @ChapmanF and @Dxta . Knowing where to look is important. I'm learning by doing and appreciate the guidance.

I looked at the Electrical layout for DLC3 and it appears that TC = 13 and CG = 4 on L61 (which is the ODB2 connector).
    If I orient the L61 with the wider side downward, the wider side of the connector (lower row) is 8 -> 1 (left to right) and narrower side (upper row) with 16 -> 9 (left to right).

What do I search for in the manual to find the procedure for shorting the TC & CG to get the code flashing? Hmm ... have just found this in the manual.
    Connecting terminals TC and CG of the DLC3 causes the ECU to display the DTC by blinking the ABS
    warning light.​
    OK, that is a start. Not sure how to read it though. I'm sure I saw a post but can't find it now. :-(

I put another ODB2 blutooth connector into L61 and am using Torque Pro with the custom Prius PIDs (thanks to all that added the PID info!). I started logging drives with the hope it will collect that code. It doesn't show anything stored though. Shouldn't that be able to collect the brake codes?

Last question for now.
    I've been looking at the number of Mini VCI connectors + software out there and am having a problem figuring out which is OK. Is there a post somewhere that indicates the "safe" vendors?

Thanks again.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The exact page in the manual on which you found that quote, and the pages immediately preceding and following ... that's right where the whole process is described.

There might be something to the idea of "safer" and "less safe" vendors, but sadly, I think there's also something to the idea that they are all just building and selling these clones for incredibly cheap prices, too low to afford any serious quality control. So you might buy one from the same "safe" vendor that somebody else got a working one from, and find that yours has weird quirks (mine would talk to most ECUs except it couldn't do the data list or active tests with, of all things, the engine ECU, and used to flake out in the middle of brake bleeds), or you might buy another one from the same vendor and not have the same problems at all. At that price point, there's just a certain unavoidable element of surprise.

-Chap

#5 ChapmanF, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  6. nukem

nukem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi.
    It was nice and warm at 8C today so I could try to measure those codes.

This is what I read.
    ABS light flashing 33 and 36
    Traction Control Light flashing 43
    And ((!)) flashing 36

Does this make sense?

I haven't been able to find the codes in the manual but will continue to look.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Disclaimer: I'm not signed into techinfo right now, so I'm not looking at the real manual, but at a condensed PDF somebody posted somewhere.

43 on the traction light means "hey, look at the ABS codes".

36 on the ECB light means "hey, look at the ABS codes."

33 and 36 on the ABS light refer to two different wheel speed sensors, the right rear (33) and left front (36).

I'd think it a bit weird for two speed sensors on opposite-corner wheels to get flaky together, but it would be less weird to have something like poor contact at the connector where they all plug into the brake ECU. Or something like that.

There are tests shown in the repair manual to see whether you're actually getting weird readings from those sensors or something else is going on. They show the sensor waveforms you would expect to see if you have an oscilloscope. If you don't, you might just want to do a careful check of the wiring and connectors you can easily get to at the sensors and at the ECU end, maybe unplugging and reseating those connectors, which often will improve a bad connection.

There is also a special sensor test mode described in the manual, where you activate the test mode and drive down a straight stretch of road for a certain distance and speed, and the ECU tells you right away whether the signals were right. You can use this to check after you have tried reseating connections—you'll get an answer faster than just driving around waiting to see if the lights come back.

I believe you can get into that check mode without Techstream (with another jumper wire trick, like the one you used to read the codes). But if this doesn't get solved by the easy ideas, it might be helpful to have Techstream, just so you can pull the more detailed codes and real-time information, beyond the two-digit codes you get from the light blinks.

-Chap

8. nukem

nukem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hello again.

Another update and a couple more questions.

I tried to get to the ABS/Braking ECU but it's so far back under the wipers/windshield, it's unaccessible unless I start taking things apart. The manual is opaque as to how to get to it. I'm astonished that Toyota would make something so hard to get to. I'd really like to check the connectors before I end up at the dealer but I can't get to the damn things. Youtube doesn't have anything either (or perhaps I should say I can't find any). What is the trick here?

The lights are coming on more regularly and appears to be connected with dampness/wet conditions. So to me this has to be a short somewhere in the cable. It's pretty sad that a cable may be defective so quickly (7-8 years).

I spoke to the dealer and they will do a scan of the codes in a few days. If the lights are out, then I doubt they will be able to figure it out. So I may have to take the car for a wash before I go.

The service rep who I spoke with has already decided it must be both speed sensor cables. But he says that to change the 1 or two speed sensor cables, they need to remove the full unit including the bearing assembly. That sounds a bit extreme if the cable is in some way cracked. I checked the manual but I can't make out if the dealer service rep is looking to repair more than necessary.

Can't you just change out the cables?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, the whole cowl business with the wiper mechanism in it comes out, for getting to a lot of things (even spark plug changes on a Gen 3). Annoying but it is what it is. After you've done it a time or three, it's still tedious, but more familiar.

It sounds to me as if the dealer service rep is looking to repair more than necessary. But it might be too early to say. If you do follow through the checks in the manual, there will be more to base a conclusion on.

-Chap

nukem likes this.
  10. nukem

nukem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks Chap. I'll update after I visit the dealer.

11. nukem

nukem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi. So the past 3 days have been dry and of course the warning lights went out. I couldn't get them to go on so went to the dealer wondering what they might find.

I have ordered the cable so I can do this better the next time but for the moment, here is what the dealer diagnostic gave.

Error codes are C0210 and C1238. The trouble code report shows C0210 as Rear Speed Sensor RH Circuit and C1238 is Foreign Object is Attached on Tip of Rear Speed Sensor RH.

They checked the wire harness and connectors. They showed me the connectors. They are completely clean and there is no corrosion.

They recommend Remove & Replace Right Rear Speed Sensor Assy. That appears to be removing the bearing & gear/optical component as one assembly. From the manual diagrams it seems to be the correct call. Does that make sense?

Part price is pretty close to buying one online + shipping. Not sure about the 2 hours labour but since I'm not getting gouged on the part price ...

12. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, based on the codes you provided in post #11 combined with the speed sensor circuit being sound, a right rear wheel bearing is the way I would go. They nail you for the entire hub/bearing unit with the sensor integrated into it:rolleyes:...

#12 m.wynn, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Raytheeagle and nukem like this.
  13. Michael G

Michael G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Have a 2011 prius five, with same issue. Whenever I drive through rain/snow and or road spray. All 3 brake lights come on and stay on. Traction control on dash lights up. Drove through heavy road spray yesterday and though I was okay, went out a couple hours later to get mail and saw brake lights flicker. 5 minutes later they were all full as if brake was pressed and stayed on. Did you end up replacing the rear wheel bearing? Did it solve the issue?

14. nukem

nukem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi @Michael G

I had the dealer replace the rear right wheel bearing about 3 weeks ago and should have updated my post as SOLVED. Yes, replacing the wheel bearing appears to have fixed the problem.

15. nukem

nukem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hmmm. I can't see how I can update the post title to add "solved". Anyone know if it's possible?

16. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And I have seen some that anti-virus software flags their CD rom.

17. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First thing that jumped out to me was you had dealer work on the brakes in Nov, then the intermittent trouble began shortly there after?? Maybe if same dealer they realize it was something they did??