1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Abs trouble codes/battery died 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Austen2007whiteprius, May 12, 2023.

1. Austen2007whiteprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello I got some abs codes that point towards the abs actuator needing to be changed. One thing I noticed was on occasion I will need to pump the brakes before shifting the car out of park or else the brakes may not work. I’m guessing my battery is being drained by the overactive pump, I have heard it working even while the car is off.. will driving around with the abs system failing lead to loss of l braking? If so what will happen or what are my best options to keep this car going until I can get a replacement: currently in a tight spot and living out of my Prius

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You will not be able to drive the car with a bad ABS actuator. It needs to be replaced. You may be able to get a used part, but the labor will be quite expensive. So best to buy a new part so you won't have to do it twice

3. Austen2007whiteprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    can you explain why I can’t? As long as I drive carefully?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well because the brakes on your car won't have electronic braking power, you'll be left with a very stiff manual brake (not how car is designed to stop). And you most likely won't be able to accelerate either as the car will most likely go into limp mode with the ABS error.

I have never tried it but you can try and let me know how you succeed or not succeed.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you post the obd2 codes in this thread?
    A low or marginal 12v may cause the pump to run more often, but it could just be a failing pump as well.

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The brake system on a Gen2 Prius is "brake by wire". Stepping on the pedal signals the hybrid control ecu that the driver wants to slow down. The ecu decides how much stopping is done by regeneration (using motion and the drive motor to charge the HV battery) and how much by hydraulic friction brakes at each wheel.

Your foot is not directly connected to the brakes at the wheels at all.

The hydraulic system pumps brake fluid at around 2000 psi into a storage accumulator. When the brake ecu wants to apply friction brakes, it uses valves to direct some of that fluid to calipers and wheel cylinders. As fluid is used, pressure drops until the pump is commanded on to rebuild pressure.

Normally, pressure shouldn't drop much at all if you don't use the brakes. The pump will come in after using the brakes a few times.

A common fault is that a valve in the actuator leaks some, bleeding pressure off over time. The pump will cycle on-off even without stepping on the brakes. As things get worse, the pump will cycle more often for longer times to try and get pressure up to the target. Eventually the ecu sets codes, then at some point the pump can fail.

When the pump stops working, the brake system goes into a "final" fail safe mode. The brake pedal (driver's foot) has a direct connection to the front brake calipers. No ABS or stability control. No brake boost. No rear brakes. It takes a lot of effort to stop the car- which means much longer stopping distances.

This is a "get the car stopped on the side of the road and tow it NOW" mode. I wouldn't"plan" on needing it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.