1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS, VSC, BRAKE, ((!)) light on, CODE: C0215, C1377, C1239

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by samulo, Aug 29, 2020.

1. samulo

samulo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone I have a 2007 Toyota Prius with 126000 miles roughly I have had this problem for a while let me give you a brief context of how it led to it.

I had four wheel bearings replaced because all of them went bad in sequence. Me and my dad wanted to try to replace one because I watched a couple of youtube videos and insisted that it wouldn't be that difficult especially since we did the Left rear hub. So I bought the wheel bearing from autozone replaced it reattached the ABS sensor to the back of the hub and everything worked fine and no warning lights were on.

I would say that after a couple of weeks the warning lights came on which were BRAKE (which is the handbrake Icon) Brake system warning light ((!)), ABS, VSC. (I have attached an example picture of this to this thread, this is not my car). I went to a mechanic and had them run the codes which are C0215: Left rear wheel speed sensor signal failure, C1239: Debris stuck to speed sensor left rear, C1377: Capacitor Malfunction. So I took off the wheel unplugged the ABS sensor and cleaned it with some canned air and cleaned also around the ABS sensor attached to the hub and replugged it back in, I do want to mention that it seems more loosely connected even after I hear it "click" into place then compared to the right rear side. The ABS module sits flush against the hub I wanted to remove the whole hub to inspect it to see any damages or anything abnormal but one of the screws was on too tightly to remove so I just screwed on the other three screws and left it. I even inspected the ABS line all the way to the inside of the car where it comes to white adaptor connection and everything seems intact. I even recently changed out the 12V auxiliary battery for a new one since I read that a low battery could cause this issue and also no luck. I tried the paperclip method to reset the ABS warning light but they still stayed on after doing it successfully. I also want to mention that what led me to believe it was the battery because after turning off the smart key system and recharging the 12 V auxiliary battery (the old one I had before getting my new one) I plugged everything back in and it was gone for about 2 weeks and then the whole process started all over and the warning lights came back on and turn on and off intermittently. I saw a couple similar posts so I apologize if this is repeated already but I didn't find anyone who had the exact issue I am having any advice would help greatly thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Johnphoenix

Johnphoenix New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Samulo

I have had these 4 lights (
    ABS, VSC, BRAKE, ((!)) light on
    ) come on and go away in the last 1500 miles. It has happened maybe 5 times...the last 3 times were in the last 150 miles. Also, yesterday at the time of start the "maint required" flashed yellow.
    ( Also if i am not mistaken, once after oil change a month ago, i was waiting at a traffic light and when it turned green, it did seem like the brake(and maybe gas pedal as well) failed momentarily. It seemed scary. But i dont remember if it was the gas pedal or the brake pedal..it just happened so fast.)

I have an appointment monday to scan the codes and do diagnosis.
    i do have a new 12v (genuine toyota) battery that i replaced 3 months ago.
    my inverter pump was replaced 6 months ago and the pump does show the turbulence when the prius is started.

Based on browsing the threads here the most likely repair seems to be a replacement of brake actuator assembly (toyota costs $1800 for that part. Dorman seems to have one but i havent checked the cost).

3. Johnphoenix

Johnphoenix New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One

did you check this ? Seems like this fixed the issue for many ?

4. samulo

samulo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I think my issue is just basically the the Left rear speed sensor is faulty and throwing the codes randomly so I will be replacing the left speed sensor and posting an update after that, probably will replace the whole wheel bearing because for some reason it is cheaper to replace a whole wheel bearing with the speed sensor attached to it then just replacing the speed sensor, and to other part just get those codes from the dealer to see what the issue is so you can narrow it down and go from there I wouldn't assume its the brake actuator right off the bat.

Johnphoenix likes this.
  5. samulo

samulo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yes I did do the paperclip method as I mentioned above in the original post but it didn't work the ABS, VSC, ((!)) came on right after I did it, the mechanic I went to even erased the intermittent codes from the past and after a while of driving around it turned on again so hopefully will just replace the Left rear speed sensor and all should be well wish me luck!

Johnphoenix likes this.
  6. Johnphoenix

Johnphoenix New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    morning

thanks for sharing
    I am getting it scanned tomorrow morning. If i get these 2 codes c1256, c1391 , based on everything i see on the internet and my prius mechanic, the brake actuator needs a replacement. My mechanic also tells me the brake actuator is one of the top 3 issues of gen 2 priuses. The other 2 being: bad inverter pump and dashboard instrument cluster turning blank.being

My mechanic wants $400 for brake actuator replacement and bleeding the brakes. I am leaning towards $1100 (new part) as i have seen bad reviews on ebay for used brake actuator. I want to drive this 2007 prius for 6-7 years(80k -90kmiles) more. It has 215k miles. Hybrid battery is still the original.

Looks likeyou got a specific code for sensor?

7. Johnphoenix

Johnphoenix New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Btw, my brake actuator wakes up every 20-22 seconds (noise) when prius is started and ready. Is this too frequent ? Some people have said their bad brake actuator wakes up(makes noise) 5-10 seconds. How often does your actuator wake up to whine when prius is in "ready" mode.

I did get my brakes inspected last week. They told me i need rear brake pads and my front rotor is also under spec.
    But i believe the above 2 issues have nothing to do with the lights that are coming on (abs, vsc, brake (!)

#7 Johnphoenix, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2020
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you using the brakes at all in that time?

Expected behavior would be to hear the pump run once when you get in (if the car has been off for a while), and again only if you have used the brakes.

9. Johnphoenix

Johnphoenix New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Code scanned today:

C1241 too low high battery volt
    C1249 open close stop light switchlight

The mechanic says there was shorting of stop light switch circuit due to high/low volts.

Solution:
    Replace open close stop light switch ($75 part + $40 labor)
    I already have a new 12v battery installed 4 months ago.

Anybody has any thoughts on this ?
    Maybe my stop light switch was faulty?

10. samulo

samulo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

If it is the cheapest solution and the problem can be pointed toward it I would start with that, I suggest making a new thread or looking for a thread with related codes on this forum because I have a different situation.

SFO likes this.
  11. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Curious which OBD2 scanner the mechanic used to retrieve the DTCs (codes) you've posted above.

Here is the workup for DTC C0215 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/repair%20manual/04pruisr/05/21avn/cic02103.pdf

Here is the workup for DTC C1239 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/repair%20manual/04pruisr/05/21avn/cic12353.pdf

Here is the workup for DTC C1377 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/repair%20manual/04pruisr/05/21avn/cic13774.pdf

samulo likes this.
  12. samulo

samulo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Thanks for these, after the mechanic deleted the intermittent past codes the C1377 code disappeared (because I also trickle charged the battery to full power) and now just have the C0215, and C1239 they looked inside both the harness adaptor and speed sensor and both looked clean and had no debris in either, I do not know which OBD2 scanner he used exactly, I believe it was a Snap-On Solus Edge.

SFO likes this.
  13. samulo

samulo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys just wanted to post an update to this issue I've had, my thoughts and concerns were right after a year having a new wheel bearing in that came with the speed sensor, it was found that the speed sensor portion became faulty for whatever reason and just didn't work, replaced the Left rear speed sensor, deleted the codes and nice clean dashboard appeared with no abs warning lights, thanks for the help and hope this comes in handy for someone in the future!

SFO likes this.
  14. Victrola

Victrola New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Was the speed sensor you ultimately replaced a circular black item or was it the smaller square with the wires attached? I believe I am having a similar problem post my brakes, rotors, and calipers being changed at a non toyota dealership. I believe I can replace the sensor on my own, but cannot find the circular part if that is what needed replacing.