1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS, VSC, ((!)) light, BRAKE, + high pitched noise while stopped at traffic light.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by seevee, Sep 2, 2022.

1. seevee

seevee New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    06 Prius w/ 166k miles. Bought used last year. So today, all 4 of those lights mentioned in title came on, accompanied by a very high pitched noise while I was stopped at a stop light. I was able to turn car off and back on. When I turned it back on, the noise + 4 lights went away and I drove home with no issues. what could this mean? Battery died early feb and had to be jump started but that’s about it as far as issues. Any ideas? Or next steps?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    HV battery coded . Need maybe check all blocks on battery W Dr Prius app or such.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I live 90 minutes north of you if you need direct help. But I suspect charging up your 12v battery with a legit battery charger is going to solve this.

Also when warning lights show up on dash error codes are recorded that you can read via a phone app. You just need to get an OBD2 reader to connect your phone to your car: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265484403768

And hopefully you have done regular maintenance and fluids are all topped off?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The warning lights that were on are controlled by the brake system. The trouble codes from the brake system are the place to start for finding out what the issue is.

A scan tool plugged into the car's diagnostic port is the easy way to get the brake system codes, if you have such a tool (and if it is able to read those codes).

But there's another way that works, even if you haven't got a working scan tool. You can simply jumper two pins together at the diagnostic port (Tc and CG), turn the car ON, and count the blinks on those same dash lights to get two-digit versions of the trouble codes. You can search up many other threads here with more details on how that works.

mr_guy_mann likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any chance you can include a photo of the pins when you mention blink codes? I'm sure if people see a photo of what they see when they looked under the dash with arrows pointing towards the pins, they'd be more willing to give it a try? I had a friend show me how to do this with a Gen1 Honda Insight and had he'd not shown me I'd of likely not of been so eager to try it.

6. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    PriusCamper likes this.
  7. seevee

seevee New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Edit: so it happened again today! And I noticed it happened after we were coming down a hill w uneven ground, it felt like the car was unable to stabilise itself? It pulled forward when I broke and then the same thing happened. I kept driving to pull over somewhere safe and everything felt fine (brake, gas pedal, etc).

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And the trouble codes are ... ?

9. seevee

seevee New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The mechanics we took it to said there were no codes stored that were useful to the issue we were having and that they may need to drive it around to get it to act up. That’s all the info I have.

10. seevee

seevee New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are the codes that came up for them:
    C1241 - Low 12 volt battery

so, am I correct in assuming it’s just a battery issue?

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If those lights come on again, you can use the jumper wire, count the light blinks yourself, and post the codes here, and let us decide whether they are "useful to the issue" or not.