1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS VSC light, loud squealing, 2008 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hiba-Su, Jan 15, 2023.

1. Hiba-Su

Hiba-Su New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I already had tbe red triangle come on twice with the code P0A93, inverter A cooling system performance. The red triangle immediately went off within a couple miles.
    I'm a single mom with 2 kids, I door dash for a living. I also pay 207 a week just for childcare. So, I guess I'm more so rationalizing to myself why I kept driving...

The first red triangle was 3,000 miles ago. The second, was 200ish. We got a snow storm 2 days ago, and when the temp dropped to 20 my abs and vcs system lights came on and there was super loud high pitched squeeling. I went straight home. The next day, I turned it on and backed out of the spot, and it kept making the noise, the light was still on. I parked it.
    Today, the lights are off. The noise is gone. I only drove one mile and parked it again.
    Any ideas how safe my car is and how expensive this may run me? I'm guessing I can't drive it to make the funds to fix it??

Tombukt2 likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Have you looked at the reservoir next to the hybrid synergy drive silver inverter cover under your hood just ahead of the driver seating position that reservoir should be full of pink or red fluid and when you start the car or have the car in ready mode but in park you should be able to get out and undo the black cap on that reservoir and see the pink or red coolant moving in that reservoir? If you don't that may be why you're triangle is lit up is because of the pump that moves that fluid is not doing so this is an easy fix you'll just need the part If it's cold out you can drive deliveries with the pump not working Don't beat on the car while doing so but you can drive quite a buttload of miles with that system not pumping the coolant and the weather being quite cold.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I see youre in the mountains . I'm in efland

4. Hiba-Su

Hiba-Su New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Its super super low. Like I can see fluid, but its way down passed the low line and it looks clear.
    What do I buy to put in it? I assume not water
    And this is a pic of what I checked to make sure we are speaking of the same thing

Attached Files:

5. Hiba-Su

Hiba-Su New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW!!!! Your only 3ish hours away from me!!! I've actually been looking at moving to the Raleigh suburbs. Wayyy more affordable than Asheville. And I'm over snow.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that is the correct reservoir.

That reservoir use the same coolant as what's in the radiator and the Toyota coolant is called Super Long Life Coolant or SLLC for short.

Buy a gallon of it from you local Toyota parts counter or you can try to see if you can get a better price from one of the dealers who has an online store. Olathe Toyota Parts Center is one that has consistently good prices.