1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(!), ABS, VSC lights keep coming back—need flash codes interpreted

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BuyJapanese, Jun 27, 2019.

1. BuyJapanese

BuyJapanese Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi folks, help please!

I have the (!), ABS, and VSC lights coming back on repeatedly after clearing them.

Flash codes are:
    • (!): 36
    • ABS: 32, 36
    • VSC: 43
    Some background—2005 Prius, ~313k miles. I just replaced the inverter coolant pump even though the old one seemed to be working, because that's a common cause of these lights coming on. I should note that unlike in many other threads, my red "BRAKE" light is NOT also coming on.

The lights don't come back on immediately—they might come on after 20-100 miles of driving after I clear the codes. I've cleared the codes, and they've been reset, three times now.

I have not noticed performance issues of any kind going along with these lights.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The VSC 43 and the (!) 36 are easy, and covered in this very recent post. They just mean the VSC controls and the ECB controls are directing your attention to codes reported by the ABS controls.

So you've got a 32 and 36 from the ABS to look up. I don't have those ones committed to memory, but this stuff is all in the Repair Manual (more info). Is that enough to get you started?

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No.

When the inverter pump fails, and the inverter pump overheats, these two lights show-up, IIRC:
    upload_2019-6-27_18-15-57.png

upload_2019-6-27_18-16-17.png

Life is so much easier if you get Techstream. 3rd best is a bluetooth OBD2 reader for your smartphone/tablet; but these are unable to read ALL Prius codes, unlike Techstream. There is no 2nd best b/c of the difference between Techstream and everything else.

4. BuyJapanese

BuyJapanese Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is helpful. I don't have the repair manual, so I'm asking for someone who does to tell me what these ABS codes mean. I did find a pdf of sections of the repair manual online, but even with that, I only found diagnostics related to the U-series codes that Techstream can pull, not the flash codes.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Learn to search better. Solutions are circled in RED.

ABS Flash Code.png

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pace exstudent, I'm not a big advocate of just using Mr. Google to find meanings of codes. There have been plenty of threads on PriusChat where somebody was working from some Googled-up understanding of what the codes meant, where google had matched the search terms to some completely other car model or even make. Plus google finds lots of people giving their own "explanations" of what the codes mean, and people who know what they're talking about and people who don't will all show up in the same google results.

Finally, a little one-liner description of what a code "means" is usually not going to help you figure out the problem; the first and most important thing you find in the manual is the code's "detection condition", which tells you the exact inputs the computer needs to see to log that code. Following that will be anywhere from a page to a dozen pages of troubleshooting steps you can follow to pin down why the code was set.

The "more info" link that I posted above has a lot of resources that Elektroingenieur thoughtfully gathered together to help you solve your not-having-a-repair-manual problem. That is the best way there is to be sure you are getting the information that is (a) specific to your car and (b) correct.

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OP never asked how to fix, just wants to know what 32 and 36 mean.
    OP is aware of Techstream, but chooses not to acquire. Enjoys challenges?

CLICK this image (URL is embedded in the link).
    upload_2019-6-28_19-45-21.png

voilà
    [HINT: resolve 32 (matches w/ the Prius manual) and you will also resolve 36; the best answer so far.]
    ABS pg 145.png

#7 exstudent, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    voilà, sure, and then you turn the page and immediately find that what this training document is really doing is explaining why you would be referring to the repair manual for this:

almost.png

Its example also shows what the detecting-condition explanations in the manual look like, which contain the information you can actually use to begin to find out why the code was set.

(edit: just noticed you don't even have to turn the page; the one originally posted even says at the top "it is important to refer to the Repair Manual for the specific vehicle you are diagnosing.")

What year do you suppose that reference is from? It mentions jumpering terminals on the "DLC1" or "DLC2" connector.

dlc1.png

Ever seen that connector in any generation of Prius?

Such are the pitfalls of diagnosis-by-Mr.-Google: you can find yourself dredging up material with tantalizingly close to the right information, if you make a whole lot of assumptions about what might or might not have changed in braking systems since a 1990s Camry or Avalon.

To even make a judgment like "matches w/ the Prius manual" you need a way to look in the Prius manual, and if you can do that you've already got the right info to fix your car.

Now, maybe one could suppose that the original poster in this thread really did only want to find a couple fortune-cookie one-line descriptions that might go with the codes, and isn't really interested in fixing the car. But other people will be along reading the thread, so it should have the information that helps them too.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  9. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Course 552, Brake Systems, was published in September, 1996, at least from the photo of the back cover of the handbook in this eBay listing. Its successor, Course 553, was published in 2013.

From its metadata, the PDF file may have been made in 2004:
    Code:
    /CreationDate (D:191041123142012)
    /Producer (Acrobat Distiller Command 3.02b for HP-UX A.09.01 and later \(HPPA\))
    /Author (wvpress7)
    /Creator (Interleaf, Inc.)
    The CreationDate suffers from a Y2K bug, I think—I’d read it as 2004-11-23 14:20:12. macOS Preview interprets it as May 12, 1913, but I think Toyoda was still just in the weaving and spinning business then.

10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Let's recap.

OP only asked
    At no point in time did OP explicitly or implicitly ask how to solve/fix.
    If you disagree with this assessment, reread OP's posts (#1 & #4).
    If you still disagree, don't waste your time reading further.

ChapmanF in post #2 even lists
    A link to all kinds of resources: some require payment, another FREE! Chilton online manual via local library card. OP should be happy?

OP responds in post #4 w/
    Unbelievable! I don't know about you, but pretty damn lazy by my standards.

Post #5
    I tell OP to search better, providing screenshots of the search terms circled and the result OP should click.

Post #6, ChapmanF adds:
    Its less than ideal, but many people use it as a starting point. The world is what it is. We (you and I) are not going to be able to change it, let alone how people operate.

Agree w/ you there.
    But again, OP NEVER asked how to solve/fix. Only asked what the ABS code 32, 36 mean. Which I provided.

Very useful link, YES!
    Kudos to Elektroingenieur for making it, and ChapmanF for highlighting it to OP and anyone else who might be reading this thread.

But lets face the facts. OP acknowledges "helpful," but still wants to know what the ABS codes mean. Unbelievable!

How f'n lazy is OP? For shite's and giggles, I logged onto the city library, to access the Chilton site. Lazy is the only conclusion there is.
    upload_2019-6-30_18-17-26.png

upload_2019-6-30_18-17-38.png

upload_2019-6-30_18-19-29.png
    Post#8
    I agree with that written assesment from the on line PDF. BUT, OP has clearly demonstrated extreme laziness, won't even go to the physical library or online library to access Chilton, as I demonstrated above.

Not my concern. OP only wanted to know what ABS 32 & 36 mean; and that's what I gave OP (32 that is and 36 partially).

1) Have not had any issues requiring me to look at any connectors on my Prius.
    2) As stated in the PDF, those connectors are assumed to be for for the upload_2019-6-30_18-30-4.png

You assume that I did NOT verify code 32, from this online PDF, match w/ the Prius Factory Manual. Rest assured, I was responsible and DID verify against my 2007 Toyota Prius factory manual that the code 32 in the online PDF linked in post #5 & #7 was correct. That is why in only circled 32 in RED, and gave OP the hint of "resolve 32, you will also resolve 36."

Who cares what OP's through process is. I firmly conclude OP is LAZY! OP made it clear to me, that OP only wants to know what code 32 and 36 mean. I gave OP code 32 and the inclusive reward of 36 being resolved when 32 is addressed. Don't care what OP does or does not do: OP isn't paying my bills and visa versa.

Your too optimistic. People are lazy and can't bother to spend some time reading.
    Case in point: Water in the 12V battery compartment/ spare tire wheel well, etc.
    How many independent threads exist on this subject alone? I will let you count.

11. BuyJapanese

BuyJapanese Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, exstudent, you are an angry person. I am sorry for you.

I have done plenty of my own research. I always look for the answer in other threads here before posting my own questions. Part of the reason I haven't gotten Techstream or the official repair manual is that I'm at a point in life where time is (regrettably) more abundant than cash, and I've already invested plenty of time in troubleshooting this issue. Usually I find the answer to my problems on this site, but not in this case. After ChapmanF referenced the long list of resources for finding flash codes, I poked around in there. Got all excited about the ChiltonLibrary idea. I checked my local library system's website, and unfortunately the digital ChiltonLibrary is not available to me. I went ahead and reserved the paperback Chilton for 01-08 Prius just in case that might help. I continued searching online. I found a website with sectioned pdfs of the full Toyota repair manual, spent ~30 minutes downloading different chapters and searching for relevant things, but found nothing on flash codes—only the U-series codes that one could pull with Techstream. Part of the reason that I haven't invested in Techstream is that given the existence of flash codes, it doesn't seem like it should be necessary for this problem. Maybe it will be the best way to tackle a future problem, in which case I'll reconsider then.

When I gave up on the version of the repair manual that I was looking at online for listing ABS flash codes, I went back to google. I found the document you shared above, IDing 32 as the code indicating a left-front wheel speed sensor issue. I shared ChapmanF's concern that this document was apparently for non-Prius Toyota models. HOWEVER, more than likely, these flash codes wouldn't change meaning from one Toyota to another.

As you have quoted repeatedly, I just wanted to know at first what these codes MEAN, not full diagnostic instructions—because there's a good chance that just with some common sense poking, prodding, and visual inspection, I can find the issue once I know where the issue is. As it happens, I'm relieved to see the left-front wheel sensor is the likely issue, because I removed & reattached it several months ago while replacing that wheel bearing, and it's the first thing I suspected when these lights came on. It passed my initial cursory inspection a few weeks ago, leaving me confused. Now that I know these lights likely stem from an issue at that location, I will do a much more detailed inspection. I'm going to start on that right now. I'll update here afterwards.

Canard likes this.
  12. BuyJapanese

BuyJapanese Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update—with hope from exstudent (thank you!) that fixing the issue causing 32 will also fix 36, I believe the situation is resolved for the time being. There's a lot of corrosion on the steering knuckle where my front left wheel speed sensor sits, and it was not correctly seated after I removed & reinstalled it ~4 months ago. I did some clean up, re-installed, and I'm fairly confident this will resolve the issue. ABS light has not returned after ~100 miles of driving, and mileage seems a couple points better.

Canard, Jmc15john and Travis Sanders like this.