1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(!) ABS VSC over 63 mph l suspect cheap replacement driveshaft.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by terramir, Mar 31, 2019.

1. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK was told about 4 years ago there was a leak from the outer boot driveshaft passenger side. So I bought one well almost three years later I installed it. Well over 63 mph Christmas lights but in goes away after I stop the car and then drive city speeds.
    Now where should I go to have my old driveshaft checked in Los Angeles anybody know someone that will not bs me like the Stealership? Cause besides the grease being all brown and liquidy I dun see anything wrong looked on the autozone.com website moog has cv joints for 20 something dollars and we'll moog usually doesn't steer peeps wrong. But I guess I would need a decent machine shop to put it together.
    Got any advice, referrals cause " I can't drive 55 " lol. ;-)
    terramir

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Different size tires front vs rear, or different tread depths front vs rear? My first concern...

Patrick Wong and davecook89t like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Have you checked out @Avi's Advanced Automotive ?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that it is more likely there is a problem with one tire (wrong size, insufficient air pressure) or maybe a problem with a wheel speed sensor. I do not think a problem with the driveshaft would cause the speed-related symptoms described.

5. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I'll pump up the tires today and go for a test drive, but the drive shaft has to go either way I can hear the difference noisey while accelerating the whole engine sounds very different.
    terramir

6. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    all tires equal pressure soon as I hit 65 or 63 both happened the light came on the dash won't go off till I stop and then go slow.
    my tires are all the same brand and model and well on each axle they dun differ much.
    and this didn't happen till I replaced the drive shaft. well I do not know about the speed sensor dun see how I could have damaged it replacing the drive shaft.
    and hints welcome on what to check.
    terramir