1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS, VSC, ((!)) yellow warning lights and flashing cruise control in '05 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Reddy, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Reddy

Reddy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone, please help!

Our 2005 Prius decided to light up the ABS, VSC, and ((!)) in yellow a few days ago. Brakes seem to be working completely fine, nothing obviously wrong. About a day before the lights came on there seemed to also be a clicking noise around the front driver's wheel that increased with the speed of the car, then a scratchy/gurgly sound that happened as the car neared a stop. I didn't think these things were related, but I'm mentioning it just in case. Then just today the cruise control light began to flash...on our way to the mechanic!
    Here are the codes he popped up:
    C0205
    P0607
    C1236
    C1241
    C1300
    After a ridiculous diagnosis fee and very high parts and labor costs, they told me with confidence that it's the left front speed sensor. They don't have a trustworthy air about them, so I thought I'd get some other opinions.

Can anybody out there tell me what they think the problem might be??

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    probably physical damage to the sensor and/or wiring.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Some of these numbers are not defined for my 2001 - as you have a 2005 the absolute best way for you to get accurate information on what problems those are and how to fix them will be for you to look them up in your own year, 2005, service manual on techinfo.toyota.com.

But taking that C0205, which is also defined for my year, it is a left front wheel speed sensor problem. (Also, the C0xxx range of trouble codes has definitions fixed by ISO/SAE, so the meaning of C0205 isn't going to change between years or models.)

The wheel speed sensor involves a disk with teeth at the end of your drive axle, and a magnetic sensor that sits near it in the knuckle. Clicking and scratching sounds would not be at all surprising if that sensor was somehow damaged.

-Chap

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?