1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS VSC (!)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hunter_prius, Jul 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. hunter_prius

hunter_prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hello,

I am new to the Prius Chat and I would like to say thank you to everyone who posts on here! You all are very helpful!

I have a 2008 Toyota Prius with 111,000 miles on it. I just replaced both front wheel bearings, front brakes, front rotors, and rear brake shoes (only on passenger side right now. Driver side will be done within a couple of days).

In order to replace the wheel bearings, I had to remove the knuckle and pound the wheel bearing out. Put everything back together on the driver side with new brakes and rotor, then took it for a test drive. Everything worked great and I had no lights pop up on the dash.

I then moved to the passenger side and did the same thing in the front for the wheel bearing, rotor, and brakes. I then moved to the back and replaced the rear brake shoes. During this process, the cylinder within the drum came apart and I put it back together. I finished putting the drum assembly back together. Started it up and took it for a test drive and my ABS, VSC, and ! lights came on.

I then found out how to short out this error code with a paperclip using pins 4 and 13. I pumped the brakes 8 times and followed the process. I had to do this a couple of times before it actually “worked”. The lights turned off, so I took it for a test spin to make sure everything was alright. The lights stayed off for about 3 minutes, then turned back on.

I am good with the mechanical aspects of the Prius, just not with the electrical aspects. Anybody run into this problem or know how to fix it? I looked through the forums but I could not find any solutions. Any type of guidance or help would be appreciated!

During this process, I also did not disconnect the battery when I was working on the vehicle. I think that this could have led to part of the problem. Any type of help or a link to a thread with a solution would be appreciated!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Sounds like you need to tool to bridge the mechanical and the electrical, many prefer to use a 'mini-vci' cable and a copy of techstream (dealer tech diagnostic software) that runs on a windows device (or Oracle VM VirtualBox and possibly https://www.winehq.org ).

If that isn't possible, you can pick up a OBD2 bluetooth/wifi adapter and use an App like Dr Prius.

Here is a link to help you pick out a usable adapter : Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

Once you retrieve and record the OBD2 codes (DTCs) from the vehicle, post them here for additional guidance and advise.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I had a nickel for every time I had to remind people that the purpose of jumping pins 4 and 13 is to find out what the trouble codes are, not to clear them, I would be independently wealthy.

Did you happen to count the light blinks and write down what the car was telling you, before you stomped the pedal 8 times and lost the information?

If so, please post those codes here, we might be able to help.

4. hunter_prius

hunter_prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Unfortunately, I did not record those codes before I did that. Looking back, I probably should have, but what is done is done.

Regardless, since the lights came back on, does this mean that I still have a chance of having these codes come back? The reason why I am asking is because I am going to get a code reader and see what it has to say is wrong. After talking to a friend of mine who does car electronics and reading some other threads, it seems that my issue may be related to the speed sensor (which I am also going to check into whether or not it is working properly).

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you're already getting a code reader, I would probably just wait for it to arrive, then find out what the codes are, then diagnose from there. Or, if it will be slow to arrive and you don't want to wait that long, use the jumper again and this time write the blink codes down. :)

Whatever is wrong with the car will still be there for you to diagnose when you can get the info from the codes as a starting point. I wouldn't spend too much time just guessing at things that might be the problem and poking at them. There are always other things to do, and you'll have some information to work from soon enough.