1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS warning after skidding in snow

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mel08, Feb 13, 2014.

1. mel08

mel08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today while trying to get in my driveway I skidded in some snow and was temporarily stuck. After shoveling the snow and getting in the driveway I stopped the car and restarted it. I now have a warning buzzer and ABS warning lights on. Any way to get these reset without having to take it into the shop in the morning?

This same thing has happened before and cost a lot of money for them to say everything was fine and reset the warning light.

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Perhaps the light will go off after 5 or 6 restarts. Some warning light behave that way.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do a search for how to clear skid control ECU DTC, by using a jumper on pins 4 and 13 of the OBD-II connector.

4. mel08

mel08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried restarting many times and drove the car ~2 miles and I tried the obi-ii reset with no luck. Any other options?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There actually might be something wrong with the skid control ECU or a wheel sensor.

6. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Right. You may have damaged the wire(s) for a wheel sensor. It's best to have the dealer check it. At this point your ABS might not work correctly.

7. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI
    I among others (pc chat forum members)have now read about the large recall TOYOTA hybrids for VSC/ABS aka vehicle stability control/anti brake skid......

The automotive mfg mass produce vehicles (therein mass produce recalls) Honda got sued by honda hybrid owning attorney who claim that Honda made false claims about MPG (gee what a surpise in a litigious society we have)Honda was able to get the case dramatically reduced.

Anyhow I am not surprised about the VSC/ABS issues. Toyota did not do their homework. I can say from personal experience that the Gen 2 prius VSC/ABS is pathetic in wet/rainy/ice road condition. I think there is a pc chat member in michigan that has posted his issues also. The software for the VSC and ABS is truly lacking in certain weather/road condition. I wish and my desire is to maybe disable the DASHBOARD mfg made idiot warning lights for VSC/ABS

8. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The poster probably has physical damage to the car caused by sliding into a snow bank. Nothing to do with "homework" and lawyers.

9. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can read the "blink codes" from the ABS system. For example:
    Skid sensor alarm, can't accelerate | PriusChat

Report back what you find. This is something that will take just a few minutes. If there is an issue with the speed sensors, then it will show up in the blink code for each wheel.

10. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    nice guess but incorrect

11. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    product research and software develops aka homework people do have a direct responsibility for the ABS/VSC debacle now unfolding for Toyota.