1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS while replacing rear shocks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Brandon I, Oct 30, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Brandon I

Brandon I New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’m planning to swap out my rear shocks. For logistical reasons I’d like to do them at the same time; i.e. both shocks off, replace parts, both shocks on. I heard that if you do that there’s a risk of damaging the ABS system? Could someone explain that, assuming I know nothing about how ABS works, and how to avoid breaking it?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    They're are sensors in rear hubs you want to carefully unplug set wire aside. Do you're work replace . If it's even close to time it's now good to replace hub bearing assy add disc brakes if no have. Pads etc or redo drums. Check all exh hangers rubbers etc

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Really, the only thing you can "DO" to the ABS system while replacing struts would be to damage the wiring for one of the wheel speed sensors. (covered harness that goes to a sensor at each wheel- looks like a skinny black hose).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.