1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC Button on Key Fob Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Slavatheshrimp, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Slavatheshrimp

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you. I uploaded a video, unfortunately I am unable to edit my post to add the link in there but here you all go.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is where you are at?if so, i really think you will need the service manual to troubleshoot.
    have you followed the specific directions in the o/m?

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Whats the temperature you set on climate control before you press and hold the button?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the video. That definitely helps clear up a few things! I think I saw you hold the A/C button for long enough (I think it's 1.5 or 2 seconds as the default - you have to hold the A/C button down to turn on Remote A/C) so either it's a programming issue or a broken/disconnected wire or a broken button.

@Elektroingenieur, any idea on the wiring or technical side?

bisco likes this.
  5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I’d check first that each of the operating conditions listed on page 348 of the Owner’s Manual (PDF) is met, and that none of the conditions listed on page 349 that would cause the remote air conditioning system to shut off or not start is present. As you mentioned, and as noted on page 608, by customizing a setting using a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system or equivalent, the system can be disabled entirely. I’d check this next.

If neither of these solves the problem, there are troubleshooting procedures for the remote air conditioning system in the Repair Manual, available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com or in the ChiltonLibrary service, to which @Slavatheshrimp's local public library sponsors free access for its patrons. The first few steps in the manual, all done by reading Data List pages with Techstream, are to confirm that the door and hood courtesy switches, start switches, IG and ACC signals, door lock position switches, and stop light switches are all reporting correct information to the car’s computers. It wouldn’t surprise me if the trouble is in this area.

I’d also suggest using the Health Check feature of Techstream to verify that no diagnostic trouble codes have been stored that are related to the air conditioning system, wireless door lock control system, power door lock control system, or to CAN bus communication among the Certification ECU, Main Body ECU, Power Management Control ECU, and Air Conditioning Amplifier Assembly, all of which are involved in the remote air conditioning feature, according to the explanation in the New Car Features book (also on techinfo.toyota.com).

[Edited to add:] If the published troubleshooting steps don’t resolve the problem, I suppose one (or more) of the ECUs mentioned above could have been replaced (as part of a collision repair, for example) with one from a vehicle of a different trim level, with firmware that doesn’t include the remote air conditioning feature.

For example, the parts catalog lists two different versions of the AC Amplifier Assembly, part number 88650-47310 for “ZVW30..G,S; MOON ROOF-WITH(SOLAR PANEL)” and part number 88650-47330 for all others, and something similar for the Main Body ECU. I haven’t checked the others.

#25 Elektroingenieur, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. Slavatheshrimp

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You don't even know how much I appreciate you going out of your way to do some research and contribute. You my friend deserve a medal. Can I cash app you 5$ for your help?

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  7. Slavatheshrimp

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I managed to dig around with my brother last night using Techstream and dug up these codes that were saved in the history.

DTC Information 1 6/26/18 21:06
    U0100 Lost Communication With ECM/PCM "A"
    U0142 Lost Communication with Body Control Module "B"
    U0155 Lost Communication with Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Control Module
    U0293 Lost Communication With Hybrid Vehicle Control System

We didn't reset/reprogram the keys, im curious if that will fix anything.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is this a salvage vehicle?

9. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Those diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) indicate CAN bus communication problems among the ECUs mentioned. This is one possible cause for the remote air conditioning not working.

Just retrieving the DTCs won’t fix anything, of course. Keep in mind that if the DTCs are in the history, not current, they might be left over from a problem that has already been repaired.

I’d suggest the first step should be to use the CAN Bus Check feature in Techstream to verify that all of the ECUs are communicating normally right now. If not, go directly to the general troubleshooting procedure for the CAN bus, in the Repair Manual under Power Source/Network: Networking: CAN Communication System: How To Proceed With Troubleshooting.

If the CAN Bus Check is normal, there might be an intermittent problem. Clear the DTCs, drive the car some, try the remote A/C, and then run the Techstream Health Check again.

In the Health Check output, pay attention not only to the DTCs themselves, but also which ECU or ECUs are reporting them. For example, DTC U0100 can come from the power management ECU, navigation system, combination meter assembly, air conditioning amplifier, or some combination of these. It always means there was a problem communicating with the engine control module, but for effective troubleshooting, you need to know which other ECU(s) were involved.

10. Slavatheshrimp

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, it is. Got it from an insurance auto auction less than a year ago. I have an identical prius that works totally fine that I picked up less than a week ago.

bisco likes this.
  11. Slavatheshrimp

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Hey, sorry to grave dig this post, but I was still unsuccessful. I downloaded some stuff from TechStream, would any of this information help you narrow down what can possibly be going on? I added it to a pdf.

Attached Files:

12. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    There was only one current, confirmed (“Curr Conf”) problem at the time the Health Check was run, DTC C1464, Front Speed Sensor RH Circuit. I’d do the published Repair Manual troubleshooting procedure for that one first.

The other DTCs are all in the history (“Hist”) and appear to be unrelated, at first glance, but I suppose there might be some common cause, such as a damaged wire harness. You’ll clear all the DTCs in step 4 of the C1464 procedure, so you can see which ones come back after driving the car. Those would be worth further attention.