1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC compressor died, both toyota and my personal mechanic quoted me around $1200.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PepoGimez, Sep 4, 2017.

1. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I live in Phoenix, so it's almost impossible to drive my car now without AC. My prius is blue, so that doesn't help either.

Anyways, I have an 04 gen 2 prius with around 208k miles. The AC went out for the first time. My mechanic says there is a leak in the AC compressor and I need to replace it.

He said the compressor would cost about $800, and he would charge my $250 to replace it. Toyota said the compressor would cost about $850, and they would charge me $450 to replace it.

I've read around that a gen 2 AC compressor from a salvaged car can be found relatively cheap. However, my mechanic said if I buy salvaged, to be weary of defective units.

Can anyone point me to a legitimate website, or place where I could find a compressor for less? And maybe some tips on spotting potentially faulty compressors?

I'm ok with paying my mechanic for the job, just not ok with paying $800 for the part.

Thank you in advance for any help! :)

P.S. A few months ago I replaced the Prius cluster unit. I was quoted $1200 for the part, and $400 to replace at toyota. I found the part refurbished for $120, and I replaced it in an hour. So I have high hopes the same could be done with the AC compressor (though I wouldn't be able to replace it myself).

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you at all concerned about ongoing repair costs?

3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    car-part.com shows there are auto recyclers (aka junk yards) within 200 miles of Phoenix with A/C compressors from 2009 and earlier for as little as $110. Most of the compressors have to be from wrecked vehicles. Start there.

upload_2017-9-4_19-28-16.png

4. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am, but I don't plan on keeping this car for long. I plan to upgrade to a newer prius within the next year or so. However, in AZ, it's just not an option to be without AC, so for the time being, I just want to get by.

bisco likes this.
  5. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ok, thank you! Is there any way to check if they are in good or bad shape?

6. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of the sellers indicate that their compressors have been tested good - not sure how they would have been able to test them though. It might be worth the risk to buy one for $150 to see if one will work. Just ask the seller a lot of questions such as where was the car damaged, is the compressor in the car or stored in a warehouse, etc.

7. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ok, awesome! That's definitely something I'll do. It's a good start at least. I mean, for $150 it's definitely worth the risk, I'm just worried about the $250 for the labor :p

8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just looked up a new compressor on Concelli Toyota's website they sell Toyota Parts at wholesale. Their price is $522.45 I think your Toyota dealer is high.