1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC compressor Not coming on - Pressure switch - low freon?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by johnDoc, Jul 22, 2016.

1. johnDoc

johnDoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius which was having difficulty with AC compressor working when vehicle was stopped or running at low speeds - now it does not come on at all.

I checked the pressure on both low and high side it is between 75 and 80 psi at 74 F air temp. I have not found in searching if this is too low to activate the low pressure sensor. I do know when the compressor is running that 40 psi is normal for low and high would be much higher so it seems that this should be enough to activate it.

I measured the dual switch 4 wire pressure sensor - the leads on the pressure sensor are red, green and two white with black stripes. I assume that measuring the sensor between red and one of the white/black would be one either the high or low pressure sensor and similarly green and one of the white/black would be the other sensor.

I measured between red and white/black opposite and it shows closed.
    I measured between green and all other pins and it showed open.

Here are my questions.
    1) Is the red - white/black pin associated with the low pressure or high pressure sensor?
    2) Should 75 psi at 74 F air temp be sufficient to activate the low pressure switch?
    3) Is there any fuse associated with the AC compressor which should be checked - if so where is it?
    4) Any other suggestions on how to proceed in determining why the compressor is not coming on with the doors open full ac at lowest temperature setting?

Thanks in Advance
    johnh...

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

A good start would be to get the codes (no tool or scanner needed) from the A/C system, telling you why it doesn't want to run the compressor.

-Chap

3. johnDoc

johnDoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply.

I did not find any codes using a torque pro app.

Can you let me know how to "get the codes"?

johnh...

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Look back at my post #2 - the words 'get the codes' should be blue, that's a link.

-Chap

5. Qwer

Qwer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    How did you solve the problem?

Where is "the dual switch 4 wire pressure sensor" located?