1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC compressor turning off

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by GLouderback, May 27, 2019.

1. GLouderback

GLouderback Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We were sitting in a traffic jam on i95. Cars were not moving and the outside temperature was in the high eighties. After sitting there for about 10 minutes, the air vents started blowing hot air. The compressor had obviously stopped working. I lowered the windows and turned off the 2017 Prime. When the traffic started to move again, I started up the car and the AC blew cold air again. Never any problems while car is moving. A day later, we arrived early at our sons house and waited for them to arrive, in our car. The temperature was a muggy 89 degrees. Within 4 minutes the compressor stopped (you could hear it go silent) and no more cool air. In short, works great when car is moving, stops cooling within a few minutes when car is stopped. Any ideas or has anyone experienced this?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you have hvac eco mode enabled? even with that, it should never blow warm.

3. GLouderback

GLouderback Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, it was on. But I tried turning it off. No difference. Am wondering if the condenser cooling fan is not working. Have a appointment with dealer, but am concerned that intermittent problems don’t get fixed.

4. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Test it in your driveway. With the AC on you should be able to feel air blowing out the passenger side front wheel well from the cooling fan. Obviously it will stop when the compressor stops, but it should probably be blowing the whole time the AC is on.

Do you have it set to Auto?

5. GLouderback

GLouderback Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes,set to auto. That’s my plan for today. Also checking to see if a fuse is blown

6. GLouderback

GLouderback Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Radiator cooling fans never come on. After about 2 minutes, the compressor peters out and only cycles about once a minute for 5 seconds. Cabin fan increases in intensity but little if any cool air. I suspect bad relay or blown fuse. Toyota does not give you a schematic so would not know which fuse or relay to test. Going to dealership tomorrow.
    I am surprised that the no AC experts have weighed in on this post. Thought I would get more more advice from Prius Chat. Did I post in the wrong area?

7. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Good call about the condenser cooling fan. The compressor's high pressure cut out switch is doing its job. Please let us all know how the dealership fixes the problem.

8. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For all the sensors in cars, I'm surprised it can't tell that the fan isn't working and trigger an error code. Or maybe there is an error but no warning about it visible to the driver. If you have access to Techstream and a cable, I think the HVAC module can have its own error codes. At least that is the case on my old 4runner. For example I know the recirculate damper has a sensor, I think that causes an error code if it gets stuck. I don't know if the car would alert you of the error, I suspect it doesn't.

9. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think I remember reading something about opening the hood cancels pre-conditioning or the traction battery cooler cycle, since they don't want anyone to get hurt by the fan. Makes sense, but I can't remember for sure. So if you test it try not opening the hood, and as another troubleshooting step see if you can find and test the hood sensor. Or just open and close the hood and see if that is enough to get it working again.

You can also see if opening the hood causes a message on the MID, like opening a door or the charge port. If it does, you can rule that out as long as you don't get the message.

10. GLouderback

GLouderback Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Interesting. I will leave the hood closed and see what happens

11. GLouderback

GLouderback Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hood closed, same problem. After about 2 minutes the compressor starts and then sounds like it gets bogged down and stops within 15 seconds. Radiator cooling fans never start

12. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The compressor is variable speed, so I don't think it will exactly bog down, but it will probably slow down before it stops as the condenser gets too hot. Eco mode makes it more likely to run at lower speeds.

It still sounds like a problem with the cooling fan(s).

13. GLouderback

GLouderback Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    5E9750FE-C8B3-492F-880F-89B03E29F839.jpeg
    Take a look at the image. Either these fans were never connected, or were disconnected at the dealership when I had the car in for routine service. Maybe intentionally for a malicious reason. I will never know. The car never overheated. The service people asked if I had any body work done, thinking that it was not connected when fixed. I have never had any body work done and you can see that they checked on that. Maybe hoping to bill me.

Data Daedalus, drash and kevin.c like this.
  14. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Same thing happened to me. Dealer unplugged the fans when completing the recall for the parking sensors. The one for the car wash issues. They called me and had me plug them back in.

Did you have the recall done?

15. GLouderback

GLouderback Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes I did. Thank you now I know what happened. I will call the service manager and let them know. Who knows how many others are riding around with there fans disconnected.

Data Daedalus and kevin.c like this.
  16. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can someone post a picture of the fan connections? Where to look for proper connection...

17. hammong

hammong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Came here after searching for "ac compressor turns off" and found this thread. This is exactly what I experiencing, and like OP my car was recently taken in for the reprogramming recall. Toyota dealer left the two cooling fan connectors unplugged. This saved me a trip back to the dealer. Everything working fine now!

You'd think that Toyota with their high-tech UI in these cars could display an error message ... or at least set an OBDII code letting you know that the A/C compressor was over pressure, etc. Typical Toyota - technologically advanced on the outside, backwards 1980s technology on the inside.

Connector photo for FuelMiser. There are two of them, easily reached from under the hood. Press the connectors back on firmly, and there is a saddle latch (grey in the photo) that will slide over and lock the connector in place.

Watch your fingers, make sure the car is powered off and cooled down. If the radiator is "hot" the fans could turn on automatically, even if the car is "off" -- be careful, it's a little tight behind the radiator where the plugs are.

Attached Files:

kevin.c likes this.
  18. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    These cars are so efficient I think it would be hard to get it to overheat. The engine is almost never running when you're stopped. And in the winter the engine has to run extra just to heat the cabin. The motors and inverter need cooling too, but again they aren't working when you are stopped.

I'm surprised they recharged the refrigerant. It seems unlikely that there's a leak or that it needs extra?

Data Daedalus and GLouderback like this.
  19. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Refrigerant quantity---the sticker under the hood calls for 1060 grams plus or minus 30 grams of R-134a. 36.3 oz. to 38.4 oz.

2.4# = 38.4 oz, just right for the max. 1.9# = 30.4 oz, a bit light, but not enough to cause the problem described even if the connectors had been OK. More refrigerant is not better. The specified amount is just right. Even a charge that is a bit light is OK if the system is working fine. There should be zero leakage. If there is a leak, it needs to be found & fixed before more refrigerant is added.

About checking for previous body repairs---neither the warranty nor the dealership is going to pay for some other shop's mistake or the owner's mistake. They properly paid for this dealership shop mistake.

20. GLouderback

GLouderback Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Even though I told them the fans weren’t running, I think the tech went off on a wild goose chase before he checked the connections. I myself looked for the connection but not having a schematic had no idea where to look