1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC error codes 21 / 33 / 41

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Metaldrummer13, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Metaldrummer13

Metaldrummer13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Running into all three of these codes trying to get my AC fixed. I was thinking it may just be the freon, but when researching it a bit since it takes a special mixture for the hybrid, I ran into the troubleshooting trick to see about the error codes. Can’t find a definitive solution and diagnosis for these codes, what are they and would this be something I’m better off taking to get fixed instead of on my own?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    21 is just the solar sensor. You will have that code any time you scan for codes if strong light isn't falling on the sensor on the dash.

I don't have a Gen 2 repair manual at hand right now, but that's where you'll find the other two, and what to do about them.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    33, or DTC B1433 means you have a problem with an open or short with the power source circuit for the air outlet control servo motor. The problem could be the servo motor, or the wiring to that, or the air conditioning amplifier.
    41, or DTC B1441 is a problem with the air mix control servo motor. That motor has a sensor which shows the position of the servo motor and the sensor value does not change as it should when the motor is operated. The suspect components are similar to those listed for 33 above.
    It is not easy to access those servo motors so expect a big $ invoice for labor effort, not to mention the cost of replacement parts.

Proud Fijian and Raytheeagle like this.